New and used Puro Classic L14610

Status
Not open for further replies.
The used filter came off of the Frontier on a run with ST 5W30 with approx. 4800 miles on it. The virgin filter was the last one in my stash. It cost me less than two dollars at a KMart going out of business sale so there wasn't much tied up in it. There wasn't much to show. The used one had no tears. I had to drill a hole in the bottom to get the remaining oil (quite a lot actually) to drain so the anti-drainback appeared to be working. It appeared to do an adequate job for this OCI. No issues on the unused one either. Had I known its condition beforehand, I would have happily used it for my next 5K OCI.

DSC00056.jpg.html

DSC00057.jpg.html

DSC00058.jpg.html

DSC00059.jpg.html

DSC00060.jpg.html

The media color and construction look nearly identical to the virgin Mopar Mo-090 that I cut open. I wonder how similar they are with the exception of the bypass.

Hard to tell in the photo, but it looked like it held up decently with very little wave.. But the virgin filter came pre-waved from the factory too.

Do you know the date stamp?

ZeeOSix helped provide the build date on the virgin one, F12D20E2 = 12/20/12. Using his methodology, the used one was built about a week before, F12D12E2 = 12/12/20. If this is incorrect, some one please chime in. Sorry about the inability to have the pictures pop up when the thread is opened, and the quality. I'm a tech idiot and my eye sight is failing me.

Imagine that, a Purolator with no tears. Thanks for the cut and post OP. Pictures like this help to debunk all the Puro nay-Sayers!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Imagine that, a Purolator with no tears. Thanks for the cut and post OP. Pictures like this help to debunk all the Puro nay-Sayers!

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 [Mobil 1 0w30 + Purolator synthetic]
2012 Ford Escape 3.0 [Royal Purple 5w20 + Purolator Synthetic or RP Extended Life]

Says the one running two (2) wire backed Purolators..
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Only because I am running synthetic oil that will be run longer than 5k miles. I have used pureones for years and still do if I am not going to leave the oil in for 5k+ miles

So anything over 5k that is Purlator made needs to be wire backed....

Id go to WIX or Fram personally. Lol.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Maybe that's what you think.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Thats what JK said.
21.gif

If I didnt have confidence in a "conventional" filter at anything over 5k and felt the need to go wire backed, then yes.. I would switch brands.

Since its just a Fram vs. Purolator game to you, can you imagine how many people would laugh at me if I felt like I had to run the ultra in anything over 5k?

The bottom line Puro vs the OCOD. No contest.

I assume you think the Purolator wins everytime...?

Thats what JK said.
21.gif

If I didnt have confidence in a "conventional" filter at anything over 5k and felt the need to go wire backed, then yes.. I would switch brands.

Since its just a Fram vs. Purolator game to you, can you imagine how many people would laugh at me if I felt like I had to run the ultra in anything over 5k?

Im one of the fringe minority here that dont believe in extended OCIs, running oil filters for more than one OCI and understand that pushing "conventional" filters past 5k mile intervals (while some may be able to do it) is just not worth the risk. Oil filters = cheap. Motors = expensive. The choice is clear. Dont believe me? Thats fine, but take into consideration that I use the dreaded Purolator brand every OCI and I have yet to ever experience a tear, endcap falling off or any other type of destruction. Coincedence? I think not...
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
F12D20E2 = 12/20/12. Using his methodology, the used one was built about a week before, F12D12E2 = 12/12/20. If this is incorrect, some one please chime in.

Yes, you deciphered the build codes correctly. I know you meant 12/12/12 for the 2nd one.
thumbsup2.gif

Only because I am running synthetic oil that will be run longer than 5k miles. I have used pureones for years and still do if I am not going to leave the oil in for 5k+ miles

Yeah, it's pretty sad when an oil filter can't even do 5k miles ... especially one that is claimed to "meet OEM specs".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back