starter/solenoid terminals protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did saturn ion starter rebuild lately:
linky

unlike the import cars i worked on before, that particular GM starter is located at the bottom and front of the engine that is exposed to elements and especially water spray from front tires. i coated the terminals with dielectric grease, but is there a better way to protect the terminals and the solenoid (that presumably failed in mine)?

CRC battery terminal protector spray seems durable.and it's red so you can see when it eventually wears off.

Boeshield T9 if you want a waxy/oil protectant. Fluid Film if you want creep and a oily/fluidy protectant. I am sure there are plenty of good options out there but I have had great success with these two on myriad of connections.

I think the dielectric grease you used is probably the best, that what i would have used.
It works well in bulb sockets that are prone to corrosion.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Antiseize

Yeah, the kind with copper particles works the best, but nickle and aluminum types aren't too bad either. /sarcasm

For some bolts on an antenna mast I once used clear RTV silicone, and several years later when I took down the antenna I cut and pulled a lot, and got it to a point where I removed the bolts and there was no corrosion at all. You'd have to decide for yourself how much space you have for cutting and pulling all the hardened RTV silicone away before trying it. If it's really getting hit with a lot of spray then the RTV may be worth considering, but otherwise a smear of grease that doesn't have any metal additives in it should last a little while.

Last edited:
Working with specialized pre-production military vehicles, we ran them through every kind of weather, mud, rain, snow, through gravel, rocks, sticks, weeds, you name it. Covered each 12V terminal connection with clear GE Silicone II and never had any problems. It's only a bit of work to remove it should you need to service the connection.

I do the same with my snow thrower and lawn mower, after 5 and 7 years of service, everything is still tight and bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back