Little mail trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kira-I'm not angry. I'm not right or left; I don't like either. I'm just a concerned tax payer that knows that the new USPS vehicle will be a cost overrun program that will be another government disaster. We both know it won't be big business that designs the specs. It will be government officials looking out for "their" supporters not us taxpayers. Their supporters may be big business or it may be environmental groups; I just know the end result will take years to get right and cost way more than originally planned.

I'm really not angry or from the right/left,

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
The system when I lived in Buffalo was a uniformed carrier would walk a block and deliver mail door to door.

Same here too, mailman parks his truck on the street and walk door to door delivering mail.

UPS, Fedx, and USPS all turn their engines off then restart at every stop here. Saves gas is the reason. The USPS is not a government agency. Where I live they used to use IH Scouts with the 4 cyl engine. I wish I had picked one of those little jewels up when they got rid of them.

The mail person over here parks at the end of the block - gets out - delivers the mail to the 10 houses on one side of the street - then on the way back to the mail truck - delivers the mail to the 10 houses on the other side of the street. Rinse and repeat for each street. The only time they drive the truck directly to my house is if they're delivering a large package.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: JustinH
The system when I lived in Buffalo was a uniformed carrier would walk a block and deliver mail door to door.

Same here too, mailman parks his truck on the street and walk door to door delivering mail.

The carrier walks my street (dead end, no turnaround); My box is next to my front door; this was to accommodate the previous owner who was 90+. Everyone else's box is on the street.

I suspect if it were a driving route, i would be asked to have a street located box.

Contrary to the usual USPS narrative on BITOG, they are often making informed and rational decisions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
UPS always lets their trucks idle. The USPS must have some pretty sketchy transmissions. Probably USSR military surplus. Lol.
Not here they don't, UPS shuts them off on every stop. Then they fire them up again & STAND on the throttle to go 200 feet to the next stop!

Almost as bad as school buses!

Stop at house, put bus in neutral, apply parking brake, open door, put bus in gear, remove parking brake, stand on throttle, drive 50 feet ... repeat.

The USPS lost 5.5 Billion dollars last year, and as we all know continues to fall. It would definitely be in typical American fashion to upgrade the worlds LARGEST fleet with some overpriced pocket lining vehicle as to continue the downward slide. Last I saw they had over 210,000 vehicles.

On a separate note, I do know that in the early 2000's Fed Ex used the 24 valve Cummins in a bunch of their route trucks. Those year vp-44 had a lot of electronic IP problems due to heat. Fed Ex actually had their own controller boards to combat this. Those who know the iron duke, know it was a near bullet proof design.

All kinds of fleets have their own policies. I know the buses here (and in Saskatoon, I believe) are, when stopped and the driver leaving (i.e. coffee or a pit stop) are to be running with the air brake lock on, left in gear. One would think having it in neutral or park would be acceptable, but policies are policies, I suppose.

I live in a court, about 10 homes. The USPS makes one stop to fill a cluster box for all homes. Always shut the vehicle off.
One of my dogs bark to let us know the mail man/woman arrived. Wish they would go to electric to throw the dog off.

Originally Posted By: camperbob
The USPS lost 5.5 Billion dollars last year, and as we all know continues to fall. It would definitely be in typical American fashion to upgrade the worlds LARGEST fleet with some overpriced pocket lining vehicle as to continue the downward slide. Last I saw they had over 210,000 vehicles.

On a separate note, I do know that in the early 2000's Fed Ex used the 24 valve Cummins in a bunch of their route trucks. Those year vp-44 had a lot of electronic IP problems due to heat. Fed Ex actually had their own controller boards to combat this. Those who know the iron duke, know it was a near bullet proof design.

They did not lose 5.5 billion dollars, they had to put it in a fund for future health care. Get your head out of the sand.

http://deliveringforamerica.com/resources/PreFundingFactSheet_final.pdf

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My mail person pulls up to my mailbox, shuts the engine off, engages parking brake, walks 10 feet to my mailbox, deposits mail, walks back to the little truck, disengages brake, starts truck, drives to the next house, rinse and repeat. This has to be one of the most brutal oil, engine, brakes, transmission destroying routines on the planet. Anyone know a USPS mechanic?

Your mail person delivers like they are being inspected, which is good for when they are followed around by a supervisor for a day. I would say most do not deliver like that (unless being inspected), it adds a lot of extra time to the day and the routes are not getting smaller.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

They did not lose 5.5 billion dollars, they had to put it in a fund for future health care. Get your head out of the sand.

]]

Correct sir. And what the heck, maybe it would be worth having a service that delivers letters/packages to even the most rural residents of our country, even if it loses money. How much "money" does DOD make on the jets they buy? Also, congressmen grouse about the postal service losing money, yet when the postal service wants to close post offices in their district or raise rates, the very same congressmen won't have it. Basically, like everything else in the US today, everybody wants everything but doesn't want to pay for any of it.

I've lived at my same address for 21 years and every mail person delivers my mail with the same routine as described in my OP. My mailbox is about 10 feet from the edge of the road because of a ditch between my yard and the road and the carriers back into my driveway to turn around because my house is the only one on my street and then get out and put the mail in my mailbox. My mailbox is in the same location as it was when my house was built in 1970. If my mail carriers are being inspected/watched then they have been inspected/watched for 21 years. As I have posted before, the USPS receives no taxpayer funding.

You're welcome. Since retiring, I do have more time to keep an eye on the goings on in the hood.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

]]

Correct sir. And what the heck, maybe it would be worth having a service that delivers letters/packages to even the most rural residents of our country, even if it loses money. How much "money" does DOD make on the jets they buy? Also, congressmen grouse about the postal service losing money, yet when the postal service wants to close post offices in their district or raise rates, the very same congressmen won't have it. Basically, like everything else in the US today, everybody wants everything but doesn't want to pay for any of it.

Do you support a $25 cashier? In much of rural America, these semi-skilled workers are among the HIGHEST paid. Last year the average clerk made 25.41 per hour, and have darn near the top health coverage plans, paying minimal out of pocket. Requirement? a good social networker and or butt kisser. In the rural part I live in, the average HOUSEHOLD wage in our county is $ 40,768. The entire Commonwealth of PA average household wage is $ 52,267. 40 hours a week at 25.41 gives a personal income of roughly $ 52,800 for a cashier or walker. My head is out of the sand. Start trimming the fat. But then again, when you have a monopoly, why even bother.

Last edited:
I was really more interested in discussing the durability of these little USPS trucks given the brutal circumstances they operate under, than starting another 'bashing the USPS thread'.

Where I live, mail is delivered by contractors. They bid for routes, and I would not consider working for what they get.

For a 6 day a week job, most get about $35-40k, and supply their own vehicle and fuel. That doesn't sound like much more than minimum wage, to me. Oh......And the benefits.....Don't exist.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I was really more interested in discussing the durability of these little USPS trucks given the brutal circumstances they operate under, than starting another 'bashing the USPS thread'.

Other posters are correct in saying that your carrier's procedures are for safety reasons to prevent "runaways" and for economy reasons to save fuel. Not all carriers with vehicles follow the same procedures, but they can be disciplined for failing to follow safety procedures.

As for those Grumman made mail trucks, they were the worst driving, worst handling and crummiest vehicles I have driven in my 63 year life. But they ran forever and were so basic and crude that they were easy to work on. Almost as bad were the old AM General jeeps, but at least they had a bit nimbler handling.

My carrier is a rural carrier who drives her own RHD Subaru station wagon, if you've ever seen one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back