Anyone know how Castrol 0w-30/40 compares to

Status
Not open for further replies.
the old GC?

GC green for example?

Any UOA's/VOA's to compare all of the above? Basically interested in hearing peoples opinions on if the new is comparable to the old.

Thanks

News is they are now putting Titanium into all their Castrol synthetic oils.
See http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3535964/Castrol_0W-30_Belgium_vs_Castr

In the above UOAs, you'll see titanium showing up in the 0w-40, and these days I think Castrol is putting titanium in the very similar 0w-30 product.
This is interesting because these oils curiously have never used boron, moly, or any other anti-wear additives other than the old ZDDP. (Other oil makes usually use moly, boron, and/or titanium, and some sodium too.)

If you read the thread above that me and BikeWhisperer link to, then pay attention to bobbydavro comments in there, as he works for or is strongly affiliated with Castrol in some tech capacity.
Bottom line is that either the 0w-30 or 0w-40 products are great, very close together in viscosity characteristics and all else, and now they are increasing anti-wear additives slightly by adding titanium.

If you are not too much in a hurry, you will get a comparaison in about two years :) : In fall, I will do an UOA on the GC 0w-30 that is in the BMW, and 18 months later, I will do an UOA on the 0w-40 that will go next in the same BMW.

Unfortunetaly, it might not be direct comparaison as my driving pattern may change during the next two years...

Originally Posted By: Pesca
If you are not too much in a hurry, you will get a comparaison in about two years :) : In fall, I will do an UOA on the GC 0w-30 that is in the BMW, and 18 months later, I will do an UOA on the 0w-40 that will go next in the same BMW.

Unfortunetaly, it might not be direct comparaison as my driving pattern may change during the next two years...

With virtually no differences between those products, this may not mean much. Either oil is fine. LL-01, MB229.5 are tough specs. Toughest to meet out there.

This is mainly interest in the current 0w30/40 vs the 'old' GC green/gold. I completely assume the new formulas are just as good as yesteryear but looking for peoples findings on both if possible, similar to Pesca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back