Full synthetic for Kia Forte?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what would be the best on the shelf full synthetic oil for my girlfriends car. It's a 2012 Kia Forte ex. Has the 2.0 liter naturally aspirated motor. I believe it states in the oil cap 5w-30 motor oil. Currently at cold start it has just a slight valve tick but only at idle. So I'm wondering if changing viscosity would help it out at all? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum Pure plus 5 quart jug of it at Walmart or some Meijer's for about 25 bucks. Great deal good oil, or Quaker State Ultimate Durabilty also at Walmart pretty cheap.

Does the owners manual(OM) require synthetic motor oil?

Synthetic oil may not help the valve tick but, a different filter may!

I like Quaker State Advanced Durability regular motor oil in the Green Bottle(QSGB) for quiet operation. Unless you really want to use a synthetic oil, try Quaker State Ultimate Durability(QSUD) Gold jug/bottle in the 5 qt jug at Walmart for ~ $22/jug.

Also, use a different filter than what she is using to see if this changes. FRAM Ultra(also at W*M) is held in high regard here though, I haven't tried them yet!

I think you'll like it!
smile.gif

When she purchased the vehicle used from a dealer, it didn't have the manual in it. I'm not sure what it requires. But I don't it requires synthetic. I want to run full synthetic because she has a tendency to miss her 3,000 mile OCI so I want the extra assurance.

I just wasn't sure if changing viscosity of the oil and going thicker would help the valve tick or not.

Thank you for the manual! What do you guys think about full synthetic 10w-30? Little thicker in start up help with the tick?

If u want to go synthetic, I would buy whatever is cheapest in 5w30 and perhaps an ac delco oil filter. With regards to the ticking sound, perhaps u can try mmo, risolene, etc type of cleaner. I know most people on this board don't like motor flushes, but I have used 5 min motor flush before with zero problems. Good luck

I vote QSUD if you want a full synthetic, but these engines are easy on oil and only need the latest API oil at 7.5k intervals.

I wonder if a faulty filter is causing the tick. Assuming this engine takes the Fram 9688 like my moms Elantra did, that filter will work great for you. I also ran WIX 51334 filters, but towards the end I became lazy and changed ultras every other change.

Synthetic would be great, what ever the manual calls for ...you are only oiling about 109 cubic inch engine...

I had a 2010 Forte - it took 5W-20. The injectors were noisy with the hood open, but it was a smooth running engine. I think any API SN synthetic will be more than enough, including SuperTech (Walmart) brand. Keep it topped off and it will be fine, even running conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I am wondering what would be the best on the shelf full synthetic oil for my girlfriends car. It's a 2012 Kia Forte ex. Has the 2.0 liter naturally aspirated motor. I believe it states in the oil cap 5w-30 motor oil. Currently at cold start it has just a slight valve tick but only at idle. So I'm wondering if changing viscosity would help it out at all? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The "valve tick" you hear may be the injector clicking common in direct injection engines. On my DI engine, the noise is also more pronounced when cold. So this may be a feature, not a problem.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I had a 2010 Forte - it took 5W-20. The injectors were noisy with the hood open, but it was a smooth running engine. I think any API SN synthetic will be more than enough, including SuperTech (Walmart) brand. Keep it topped off and it will be fine, even running conventional oil.

100% with this.

You should have a transferable 100KMI warranty on the engine if the previous owner adhered to kia strict service schedule.

Get that activated!

That was what I was thinking as well. The DI injectors. If you aren't used to them they make your car sound kind of [censored]. I wouldn't think a '12 Kia would have any ticking unless it was truly driven hard and not taken very good care of prior to your gf's purchase(or her if she is the original owner).

Our Sonata 2.4L and past Veloster 1.6L make/made the same clatter at idle. No oil will make a difference since it's chalked up to the high pressure fuel pump/injectors. I wouldn't worry.

PYB didnt quiet it down? I never did get a chance to give that a try before mom traded hers in for the 'Yoda.. which seems noisy too. Lol.

Stick with 5w-30 synthetic and a quality filter on 7.5k OCI's if still under the drivetrain warranty.

Any group III synthetic will work. If you're outside of warranty or don't care you might look at 1yr/15k OCI's with M1 or Castrol Extended Performance oil and a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Stick with 5w-30 synthetic and a quality filter on 7.5k OCI's if still under the drivetrain warranty.

Any group III synthetic will work. If you're outside of warranty or don't care you might look at 1yr/15k OCI's with M1 or Castrol Extended Performance oil and a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter.

Many GDi have been shown to dilute oil considerably. Although no detrimental effects may take place from the dilution at the recommended Kia/Hyundai OCI, I don't know about doubling it. You may be right and nothing happens but I'm not sure the OP or his significant other are interested in the experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back