Castrol Agri MP Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I keep running into this oil at my local parts place, and at a very reasonable price ($120 ish for 20L).

Today it got me thinking about this part of the board.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/6883B457A88ED42C80257D2B0008B4B5/$File/BPXE-9MVS7D.pdf

It's dual petrol/diesel rated, and GL4 with wet clutch capability.

VI is 109, and a density of 0.888, indicating no polymers to shear out of grade.

Another vote for Rotella 15w40. It will retain good shifting characteristic better than any other oil. A favorite on every motorcycle message board under the sun for a reason.

I have used tractor universals before in a bike, I thought it was a smart move at the time. We have a Valvoline one at work, thought about it in passing, but have been using Delvac MX 15/40 in my combined trans bikes....it might be better for the clutch as all wet clutch bikes tend to drag - very noticeable as I ride a BMW everyday.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's dual petrol/diesel rated, and GL4 with wet clutch capability.

VI is 109, and a density of 0.888, indicating no polymers to shear out of grade.

It's kind of old technology - API SF has been obsolete a long time. I'm not sure on your reasoning for the "no polymers" statement... it is a mineral multigrade.

In a relaxed thumper I guess it'd do a decent job.

I had a look at our stuff at work - it's Mobil Agri Super. It's a 10/30 and SE rated. I was looking at it for my 1974 Moto Guzzi which was originally speced for 20/30, and was also considering straight 30. Most older bikes only need an SG...but SE? I remember SE, it was a big step in the day, but in 2015?

So what!

Majority of today motocycle oils are api SG rated....

And that doesnt mean that you are riding oil from 80's....it is just level of zddp aditives in up to date oil base

Was just throwing an idea out, not directing anyone, just for information.

SF is old, yes. 109VI in a tractor oil means that it's very likely un VIIed, and it's got a wet clutch and gearbox rating.

As I said, an FYI for some of the stuff out there.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
So what!

And that doesnt mean that you are riding oil from 80's....it is just level of zddp aditives in up to date oil base

Interesting, found this this evening.

https://www.aftonchemical.com/ProductDataSheets/Engine Oil/HiTEC-9300G-Series_PDS.pdf

It's an Afton Universal additive brochure...has different treat rates for different "obsolete" oil grades, and a clutch add pack available.

Like motorcycle oils, the API rating is not a true representation of the performance of this oil. Agri MP is really an HDEO with performance level similar to a CH-4. It wouldn't be much use if it did not exceed API CE

But probably HDEO oils don't have zddp levels that high that they will meet GL4 spec. for use in gearbox...

That is why I "admire" those here who are using hdeo oils in their shared sump bikes

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
So what!

Interesting, found this this evening.

https://www.aftonchemical.com/ProductDataSheets/Engine Oil/HiTEC-9300G-Series_PDS.pdf

It's an Afton Universal additive brochure...has different treat rates for different "obsolete" oil grades, and a clutch add pack available.

Interesting broschure...I was always convinced that SG were oils with highest zddp levels...that every succesor had lesser amount of aditives that catalyst converters will have longer life.....????

He needs to get a bike with a ball and roller bottom end, so we can have scientific discussions about low pressure high flow and what rollers do to oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back