How to connect a chainsaw to something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to use a chainsaw or trimmer engine to drive a small portable winch. The original engine is gone and cannot be found (an odd ball italian thing...)
But the capstan winch body is intact and this will be a great thing when huting moose.
The winch has a ca 12 mm axle and I suppose that the trimmer or saw would have something like that too.
My issue is that I can't seem to find a good coupling. Maybe a chain drive or a v-drive/multi rib drive could work but is there a verified solution for these small engines?

I thought it was common to use these surplus engines for hobby stuff but I can't seem to find the proper hardware. Maybe I am looking at the wrong places? Or are people only doing these conversions "backyard style" only?

The gearing should be like 1:1 or close.

Look through mcmaster carr for appropriate doohickeys.

I'd get a chain sprocket of the appropriate pitch, and chain of course, and use the chainsaw's centrifugal clutch so you can idle it in "neutral".

I don't know what kind of industrial supply houses they have in Sweden, but those are the kinds of places to look in. McMaster-Carr, Grainger, Machinery Supply Co., and Fastenal are typical names in the US.

A brand name for drive couplings that use torsional isolators to protect the drivetrain is Lovejoy. Try a web search for them. Or Google "drive couplings", etc.

Last edited:
Google chainsaw winch.

The saw clutch will be spur drive or rim drive. Get a rim drive sprocket for the winch input and weld it to a hub. Then get a saw shop to rivit a short chain together and grind the rakers, cutters, and depth gauges off.

Last edited:
My dad fabricated a cart for hauling wood up hills and onto his trailer. He used a Stihl chainsaw motor and a 5 speed trans from a murray riding lawn mower and a belt, all custom, anything can be done haha.

Ok guys, I sorted it. Riveted the old sprocket to the "new" chainsaw sprocket and then used the original attaching housing. It also took some tapping and sawing on the chainsaw engine housing to be able to fasten it firmly. Think I got it in the right position, time will tell if it is straight and sturdy enough!
2015-04-19%2015.42.29.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back