California farmers fear wells will soon go dry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: BRZED
Decade long droughts are expected to happen in the West and Midwest later during this century.

What is this based on? I don't believe crystal ball predictions such as this can be made. Nobody can predict short term changes in weather.

If it's in the Farmer's Almanac, people seem to believe that religiously...

I had no idea NASA was considered a religious organization.

I also had no idea that decade long droughts would be due to weather.

http://www.gizmag.com/nasa-drought-study-united-states/36128/
http://www.livescience.com/38167-national-security-impact-of-warming-climate.html

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
HTSS,

Why not just close that airport?

It's the only commercial airport in Orange County with population of more than 2 millions.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Water consumption in California...

CA%20water%20consumption.jpg

source: UCLA Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

What do they mean by "Urban Residential Interior" and "Urban Residential Exterior" ?

And what does SF and MF stand for ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
[
And what does SF and MF stand for ?

I would guess "single Family" and "Multiple Family (apartments)"

Reminds me of the old saying from the 76-77 drought..."We never flush for number one". Yep, I'm saying that to myself again now as I exit the bathroom and challenge the porcelain like the old days.

If only our Governor was as smart as Florida's and simply banned "climate change" and "sea level rise" from our vocabulary. No doubt we have plenty of sand now to stick our heads in.
"What? I don't see no drought"

I've practiced "if its yellow, let it mellow" for years. I simply don't like wasting resources. Leaving lights on, etc - just annoys me to waste for no reason.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

I've practiced "if its yellow, let it mellow" for years. I simply don't like wasting resources. Leaving lights on, etc - just annoys me to waste for no reason.

Glen Beck would fire you for that.

If only our Governor was as smart as Florida's and simply banned "climate change" and "sea level rise" from our vocabulary. No doubt we have plenty of sand now to stick our heads in.
"What? I don't see no drought"

Much of the flood control in South Florida depends on the sea level being somewhat lower than the area being drained. Literally billions of dollars of these efforts will be rendered useless in the next few decades. Development steams on as if nothing is happening; argue all you want as to the cause, but it is happening. Best to implement a 100 year plan to move important infrastructure inland (sewer treatment, power generation etc) This could be done by attrition

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/story...the-rising-sea/

Quote:

By 2020, Miami Beach plans to complete 80 new storm pumps that will collect and banish up to 14,000 gallons of seawater per minute back into Biscayne Bay. Construction started in February. The goal is to reduce sunny day flooding — which frequently invades streets at high tide whether or not it is raining — and prepare the community for future ocean swell.

There's money well spent.... lol "sunny day flooding"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

By 2020, Miami Beach plans to complete 80 new storm pumps that will collect and banish up to 14,000 gallons of seawater per minute back into Biscayne Bay. Construction started in February. The goal is to reduce sunny day flooding — which frequently invades streets at high tide whether or not it is raining — and prepare the community for future ocean swell.

]
I would guess that is 14, 000 Tons per minute. 14,000 gpm for even one pump is nothing.

Last edited:
If only our Governor was as smart as Florida's and simply banned "climate change" and "sea level rise" from our vocabulary.

They deny that now
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/poli...50416-post.html

For many years now down-under toilets have had a half-flush button to cover both requirements.
e7606475-5a9b-4124-bead-ab2f8b056668_zpsdnzq7ae9.jpg

The last toilet I bought 4 years ago from Menards is a two step flusher. Quick flip for #1, hold the lever down for #2.....
flush.gif

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Reminds me of the old saying from the 76-77 drought..."We never flush for number one". Yep, I'm saying that to myself again now as I exit the bathroom and challenge the porcelain like the old days.

I lived in Granada Hills (SF Valley) back then and it was bad, but the current situation natural condition is made even worse due to the fact that the population is so much greater than it was back at that time.

Yes, it does not help having 20 million or so people in a state where if you average out the rainfall over the years-there is not enough rainfall. And I don't think it is wise to rely on produce coming from such a state. We would be better off if the produce could be produced locally in most states.

There are years when there is plenty of rainfall in California, but there are also periods of drought.

i didn't read all those 10 pages, but did anyone mentioned that north america is following the climatic footsteps of australia that turned form a subtropical climate into mostly desert with only fertile grounds in the vicinity of a coast?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
i didn't read all those 10 pages, but did anyone mentioned that north america is following the climatic footsteps of australia that turned form a subtropical climate into mostly desert with only fertile grounds in the vicinity of a coast?

How do we stop it?

Make breathing illegal? Make all forms of vehicles and industry illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back