Torque wrenches for rest of us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes 140$ for a 1/4" drive SO T.W. would be great, but the Precision Instruments looks really nice as well.

The NAPA torque wrenches will probably last me for the rest of my days, it is only for lug nuts and drain bolts lol.

But the Precision Instruments are on my radar now...

Decent tools don't have to cost the world and are a good investment. I never regretted spending a bit more and sometimes even a lot more for good quality tools.
They are all still on the job with me and my son will have them for the rest of his life.

Stick with good brands, buy good quality once and cry once, buy rubbish and cry a thousand times.
I throw rubbish in the bin not in my toolbox.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Yikes Tekton looks amazing too! Researching that one now...

If you look closely you'll see it appears to come from the same supplier as the HF unit. The same one sold at HF has also been sold at quite a few other places.

The Tekton ones appear to have some differences, but also enough similarities to make them appear to come from the same supplier. I've read a couple good reviews of them over on GJ.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon

I like the Precision Instrument split beam torque wrenches. They used to make them for Snap-On. You don't have to set it to 0 when you are done. About $115 for a 20-100lbs 3/8 drive. Made in USA.
Precision%20Instruments%20Split%20Beam%20Click%20Type%20Torque%20Wrench.jpg

This looks just like my Snap-On 1/2" wrench. Bought it nearly 20 years ago!

robert

Yikes Tekton looks amazing too! Researching that one now...

How much did you pay for the NAPA torque wrench?

I always put a vote in for Warren & Brown - accurate and totally bullet proof. Abused in nearly every workshop in Australia and New Zealand.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Always wanted a Snap-On torque wrench but the prices are insane.

How about $140 for a brand new 1/4 drive?

Good deals on ebay if you're patient.

I like the Precision Instrument split beam torque wrenches. They used to make them for Snap-On. You don't have to set it to 0 when you are done. About $115 for a 20-100lbs 3/8 drive. Made in USA.
Precision%20Instruments%20Split%20Beam%20Click%20Type%20Torque%20Wrench.jpg

This isnt too bad.

My 3/8" HF torque wrench seems a bit moody. Sometimes it "clicks" and other times it doesn't.. I bought it to adjust my transmission bands. Spending the additional money on a better US made too and knowing I didn't over tightening something sounds like the way to go.

I paid close to 100$ each of my two NAPA torque wrenches IIRC.

They weren't that cheap but I find I trust them.

I engraved mine with my initials when I worked in a garage, I really wish I hadn't.

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
So this article verifies what I have always heard, but was not sure.....
You should always put the torque back to zero and take the pressure off the springs to keep its accuracy. Agree?

I would follow the manufacturers instructions. My Proto torque wrenches suggest leaving them on the LOWEST setting, not completely backed off.

the torque wrenches i use are "CDI Torque" the company that makes all the torque wrenches for snap-on and decently priced and very good quality just like snap-on for a lot less money. CDI also says to leave the wrench on the lowest setting on the scale and not to go below that!!

Originally Posted By: dedonderosa
the torque wrenches i use are "CDI Torque" the company that makes all the torque wrenches for snap-on and decently priced and very good quality just like snap-on for a lot less money. CDI also says to leave the wrench on the lowest setting on the scale and not to go below that!!

Agreed, the CDI wrenches are very good. For some reason our laboratory doesn't see many of them. A lot of Proto (good), Craftsman (good), Snap On (good), Westward (Absolutely horrid), and Harbor Freight (Crude, markings don't always line up).

I have seen a lot of opinions on this thread. Mostly they are opinions. I check wrenches against a calibrated torque standard. It has no prejudice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back