Oil recommendation for Chevy LS7 454 crate engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has one of these installed in his 1970 Chevy Nova SS. It has a pretty big solid lifter cam, 850 double-pump Holley, rectangular port heads and 12.5 to 1 compression. He is currently running Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 oil in it. Just looking for thoughts on brand and weight of oil to run. Thanks!

What does GM recommend for it? I assume it would have come with a sheet that stated what should be used?

15w-40 , 20W-50, 15w-50. I have some big block experience over the years. Let the oil get to operating temps before really hammering it and the engine will be happy. That engine with a good exhaust should have some get up and Go. Back in the 1970 I had a 402 big block with the same heads and comp ratio and that engine would turn 7,500 and it lasted a long time in a flat bottom drag boat. It came out of a buds 1970s Chevelle . It was a bit radical for his needs so I bought it and was happy with the deal. Have to add a 6 qt oil pan is good ,in my boats I would run a 14 qt pan when running as sustained high rpms there is lots of oil pumped into top eng.The how to hot rod big block Chevrolet engines are great reference books. The builders and tuners have them down to a science.

An after thought I can't see the advantage of a syn oil in this engine unless it will be endurance raced or road raced . You probably won't be able to hold WOT for very long . The engine is that powerful. The oil should be changed often due to potential fuel dilution. I love Chev big blocks.

winter 5w-40 Synthetic
summer 15w-40 dino
Have an extra quart with you, it's going to use a little oil, and it's ok if it does. Nature of the beast.

Actually, this is an easy one.

Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck in cool weather.
Mobil 1, 15W-50 in warmer weather.

But, note, I don't think the 454 big block is an LS7. As the LS7 is a small block, 427 cubic inch, modern engine. The LS454 is an updated version of the classic "big block" engine, with large, heavy internal parts.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Actually, this is an easy one.

Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck in cool weather.
Mobil 1, 15W-50 in warmer weather.

But, note, I don't think the 454 big block is an LS7. As the LS7 is a small block, 427 cubic inch, modern engine. The LS454 is an updated version of the classic "big block" engine, with large, heavy internal parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Big-Block_engine

Quote:
An even more powerful version, producing 465 hp (347 kW) and 610 lb·ft (830 N·m), of the 454, then dubbed LS7 (not to be confused with the modern, mid 2000s, 7-litre Chevrolet Corvette engine that powered the C6 Z06), was also designed, however this particular unit never went into full mass production. Several LS7 intake manifolds were individually produced and sold to the general public by a few Chevrolet dealers as optional performance parts. The LS7 was later offered as a crate engine from Chevrolet Performance with an officially rated power minimum of 500 Gross HP.

When you say a crate engine: Is it a rebuilt crate engine or a true from the OEM factory new crate engine. If it is a rebuilt crate engine, please have someone check all rod bolts, mains and headbolts by torquing to correct specs. It is real important,,,I had a crate engine come apart on the rod bolts on the crank due to incorrect torque values, several others on the same crank were under torqueed.

What about Shell Rotella T6 (5W-40) in the winter and Shell Rotella Triple T (15W-40) in the summer?

I would stay exactly with the Brad Penn. As soon as you said solid lifter, I didn't need to see anymore.

In all terms of the word, that engine is a "race engine" in todays terms. We raced on Brad Penn Racing Oil for almost 5 years and never had an oil related issue. As for weight, Id ask the person/company who built it. Without knowing the clearances its hard to give a for sure. Tighter, 10w30 racing grade. Looser...20w50 racing grade.

Im willing to guarantee your buddy isn't driving that car in the winter in PA, so no need to flop weights as mentioned above

Last edited:
Street driven, street/strip?

With a big cam like that, I'd use something like Royal Purple HPS or XPR (if its race only), or pick your Amsoil or Redline equivalent. Valvoline VR-1 would work, Joe Gibbs oil would work, there are lot of choices.

I wouldn't go insane with oil weight, especially with a synthetic. Depending on how he uses it, 30-weight or 40-weight class oils should be fine. No need to go to 50-weights, IMO.

Once its fully broken in, he could use an HDEO like RT6 5w40 if he wants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

But, note, I don't think the 454 big block is an LS7. As the LS7 is a small block, 427 cubic inch, modern engine.

Its both. The LS7 was a 454 back in the day, now its a Gen IV smallblock. Chevrolet re-uses "L" designations a lot. For example the LT1 was the rare and amazing 302 CID Chevy Smallblock in the original Camaro Z/28 in the late 60s. Then it was the "Gen II" high performance 350 in the early 90s used in all sorts of things from Buick Roadmasters and Chevy Caprices to Camaros to Corvettes.

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
Top of page 3 from here:

Yep, Chevy has been using 5w-30 for a long time. However, I can't see a problem with a bit of deviation on that, either, depending upon usage patterns.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Street driven, street/strip?

With a big cam like that, I'd use something like Royal Purple HPS or XPR (if its race only), or pick your Amsoil or Redline equivalent. Valvoline VR-1 would work, Joe Gibbs oil would work, there are lot of choices.

I wouldn't go insane with oil weight, especially with a synthetic. Depending on how he uses it, 30-weight or 40-weight class oils should be fine. No need to go to 50-weights, IMO.

Once its fully broken in, he could use an HDEO like RT6 5w40 if he wants.

This guy knows /\/\/\ I see oils psig spec at 24lbs at 4000 on the 30 - would prefer over 35 psi here.'

Funny my Rogue 2.5L has a longish BB stroke of 4"
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back