Puro Synthetic failed ADBV....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Please provide proof to your claim that Fram Ultra is good for 2 OCI's. If you have a UOA for that OCI please post a link to it here. If there is no proof, your claim is nothing more than an opinion.
Two what length OCIs? Your question is quite ambiguous without a number. My other post shows the condition of an Ultra after 15K AND shows the UOA for that 15K run; if you choose not to believe that it can be used that far--that is your prerogative.

Please provide proof to your claim that Fram Ultra is good for 2 OCI's. If you have a UOA for that OCI please post a link to it here.

If there is no proof, your claim is nothing more than an opinion.

Dude, click the blue text in his post.
33.gif

Oh and if it is good for 15K, it does not care how many OCI's that is.

Last edited:
I have cars that say you CAN use the filter twice, and they also say NOT to change the trans fluid ever. I don't follow either advice. When an oil filter meets OE specs they are talking about, I would say, the attributes of construction, like size, thread type, with adbv, with bypass valve, flow, etc., not the maintenance schedule. Not unless they have a staff of people keeping tabs on every car maker in the world's latest ideas as they come out, then having another staff running endurance tests on each car model. I really doubt they do that. If the filter fills up, it goes into bypass until the next one is put on and no one will know anything about it.

Kc i get that from a lot of people i know what fram says but do you notice they don't say anything in advertising or on paper as far as i know like "best flowing filter or one of the best flowing filters" I don't want to get into the flow thing because none of us can be 100% sure how it really flows i do know all the engine companies install the rock catches as a few around Bitog call them and there must be a good reason for that. On the many engines we rebuild we use the rock catches because flow is the most important thing when it comes to your engines oiling system.

I am using a fram ultra in a car i take care of (2001 ford escape 3.0) And after 2000 miles or so the oil still looks clean and there is no start up noise or any other thing i noticed and it looks like a very well made filter. I will cut it open around the 10,000 mile mark.

steve H there is a reason why they snowball and the ocod is still like that today.. Cut one open unless things changed dramatically its not the filter i would use but that one probably has good flow,,,lol

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Please provide proof to your claim that Fram Ultra is good for 2 OCI's. If you have a UOA for that OCI please post a link to it here.

If there is no proof, your claim is nothing more than an opinion.

Dude, click the blue text in his post.
33.gif

Oh and if it is good for 15K, it does not care how many OCI's that is.

1.5K each OCI = 3K
whistle.gif

Tearolator is now only covered by its marketing silence treatment, deleting FB messages and requiring certified personnel to cut filters open
33.gif

Last edited:
While I understand Fram Ultra is a good filter, I didn't realize they specified it was good for 15k miles. I know Amzoil & Royal Purple synthetic filters have similar specs.

I still stand by my statement in general, because I've seen many similar claims on other ordinary oil filters. Filters I would not use for two OCI's unless OEM specified. I was one of the few who questioned using Puralator's for 2 OCI's, and I know a lot of the peeps here did.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Kc i get that from a lot of people i know what fram says but do you notice they don't say anything in advertising or on paper as far as i know like "best flowing filter or one of the best flowing filters" I don't want to get into the flow thing because none of us can be 100% sure how it really flows i do know all the engine companies install the rock catches as a few around Bitog call them and there must be a good reason for that. On the many engines we rebuild we use the rock catches because flow is the most important thing when it comes to your engines oiling system.

I am using a fram ultra in a car i take care of (2001 ford escape 3.0) And after 2000 miles or so the oil still looks clean and there is no start up noise or any other thing i noticed and it looks like a very well made filter. I will cut it open around the 10,000 mile mark.

One last try, sincerely for your sake.

1) Oil filter "flow" is a virtual non issue in a modern engine due to oil system function. Notice how modern filters just get smaller and smaller, yet engines are not starving themselves of oil?

2) Synthetic media (Ultra) flows better than virtually any other type of filter.

3) Multiple people have told you the Ultra is one of the best flowing filters on the market (simply common sense due to the type of media).

4) Fram has told you the Ultra flows great. They even provided you some awesome figures but it doesn't seem you'll ever be happy unless they clone the Wix website for you.

5) What's not to understand and why the obsession? That's why you get the comments. The filter is even working great for you yet you continue to obsess about a total non issue flow that you are stuck on.

You even posted the other day that the Group 7 filters you used to use flowed great. How could you possibly know that? Are you going by how they looked? Filter media is vastly different and you can't base flow or capacity on appearance.

It really seems that in your head you decided the Group 7 flowed well for whatever reason and you are totally stuck that the Ultra does not despite considerable evidence to the contrary. It's like a mind block or something.

Your questions have been answered over and over. You are stuck. Get over it or stop using the Ultra.

Hope this helps, if not no worries I will not comment on it again.

I don't use Ultra's either. I like orange cans and Tough Guards personally when I use a Fram.

I still stand by my statement in general, because I've seen many similar claims on other ordinary oil filters. Filters I would not use for two OCI's unless OEM specified. I was one of the few who questioned using Puralator's for 2 OCI's, and I know a lot of the peeps here did.

Honda for instance says to use the oil filter for 2 OCIs and as mention earlier that could take the filter out to 15K+ miles if the OLM is also used.

Clincher is that filter manufacturers will claim they meet OEM specs and recommend using their filter per the vehicle manufacturer's service specs. So if that's all true, then any brand filter that "meets OEM specs" should theoretically be up for the task of a Honda type service schedule which would be 2x OCIs. Honda never says that only their OEM filter needs to be used. They are counting on those aftermarket filter manufacturers to "meet or exceed OEM specs".

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

You even posted the other day that the Group 7 filters you used to use flowed great. How could you possibly know that? Are you going by how they looked? Filter media is vastly different and you can't base flow or capacity on appearance.

It really seems that in your head you decided the Group 7 flowed well for whatever reason and you are totally stuck that the Ultra does not despite considerable evidence to the contrary. It's like a mind block or something.

I was curious how he determined the flow was so great on the Group 7 also ... and on the Purolator Classics which crazyoildude always thought flowed well. I doubt he had real numbers, so must have been some kind "instinct" or "clairvoyance" that gave the info/data required to make that conclusion.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Honda for instance says to use the oil filter for 2 OCIs and as mention earlier that could take the filter out to 15K+ miles if the OLM is also used.

Clincher is that filter manufacturers will claim they meet OEM specs and recommend using their filter per the vehicle manufacturer's service specs. So if that's all true, then any brand filter that "meets OEM specs" should theoretically be up for the task of a Honda type service schedule which would be 2x OCIs. Honda never says that only their OEM filter needs to be used. They are counting on those aftermarket filter manufacturers to "meet or exceed OEM specs".

I've stated numerous times to stick with OEM specifications. Most manufacturers don't specify two OCI's for the oil filter. If you want to use a Puralator or other filter on a Honda for 2 OCI's that's your decision.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
So after washing the Silverado at our local car wash today, I swung by Kmart (much to my brothers chagrin) to check out their oil/filter section. None of the oil prices stuck out as a screaming deal so I went on to the oil filters. The only ones they had in stock were Purolators so I skipped over the white and yellow cans and checked out the Purolator Synthetic's. They had my application for the Accord and priced around $8 (usually around $10-$11 I believe). I opened the box up and saw little blue specs everywhere that fairly easily flaked off, so they could be pushed into my engine by oil flow...ok moving on. Then I checked out the application for the Uplander/Buick and what do you know? The ADBV was all curled up inside the filter, I didnt have my phone on me to snap a pic so I asked my brother, unfortunately his battery was too low so I apologize guys and girls there are no pics to share. So this puts the proverbial nail in the coffin, for me at least. I already crossed the white and yellow Puros off my list, now the synthetic ones will be out as well.

and other users wonder why i do not take this subforum seriously.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: gregk24
So after washing the Silverado at our local car wash today, I swung by Kmart (much to my brothers chagrin) to check out their oil/filter section. None of the oil prices stuck out as a screaming deal so I went on to the oil filters. The only ones they had in stock were Purolators so I skipped over the white and yellow cans and checked out the Purolator Synthetic's. They had my application for the Accord and priced around $8 (usually around $10-$11 I believe). I opened the box up and saw little blue specs everywhere that fairly easily flaked off, so they could be pushed into my engine by oil flow...ok moving on. Then I checked out the application for the Uplander/Buick and what do you know? The ADBV was all curled up inside the filter, I didnt have my phone on me to snap a pic so I asked my brother, unfortunately his battery was too low so I apologize guys and girls there are no pics to share. So this puts the proverbial nail in the coffin, for me at least. I already crossed the white and yellow Puros off my list, now the synthetic ones will be out as well.

and other users wonder why i do not take this subforum seriously.

Do you question his scientifc method or his objectivity?

I don't get why this is still going. This could happen with any brand and this proves it is a good idea to look at the filter before buying it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I don't get why this is still going. This could happen with any brand and this proves it is a good idea to look at the filter before buying it.

You cant reseal an oil filter once it is cut open

Originally Posted By: Stewie

OP mentioned how he saw the failed ADBV in the box at the store.

Unless you're referring to not being able to re seal an opened oil filter box?

I have 3 of the Purolator Synthetic filters that I bought for half price at the local K Mart when they were going out of business a while back. I'm going to use them both...and not worry about it (for some reason, I get start-up noise from the Fram Ultra in both of my vehicles...).

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
I have 3 of the Purolator Synthetic filters that I bought for half price at the local K Mart when they were going out of business a while back. I'm going to use them both...and not worry about it (for some reason, I get start-up noise from the Fram Ultra in both of my vehicles...).

Did you shake it before installing and make sure it wasn't defective?

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Originally Posted By: Stewie

OP mentioned how he saw the failed ADBV in the box at the store.

Unless you're referring to not being able to re seal an opened oil filter box?

I thought he actually cut it open, guess not.

He must have been hallucinating or fabricated the whole thing just like 60 other guys here that found torn media. Maybe he didn't have a valid "filter visual inspection" certificate.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back