Mobil1 AFE 0w20 in 2014 Mazda3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I had a Blackstone oil analysis done for the first time ever. I've browsed this forum and other sites and know some basics, such as fuel, water and other contaminants in the oil is usually not a great thing, the viscosity being lower generally is a good thing and Moly is an antiwear agent.

With that limited knowledge in mind, I got my first analysis back today and there are a couple of things based on the report comments that I wonder if I should be concerned about. First is the fuel they found in the oil, they didn't seem to think it was a big deal. My bigger concern in the comment about the piston and bearing wear. Is this just a normal process for an engine with 18,000 miles on it?

I now have the OE Mazda 0w20 and OE Mazda filter on the car and will do another analysis in roughly 7,000 miles to see if there's much of a difference between the Mazda and Mobil oil.

Generally, I'm just looking for your opinion on what I'm looking at in the report, and if there is anything I should be worried about or should keep an eye on.

Blackstone Report Image

Last edited:
Consider shortening the OCI to 5,000 miles due to shearing and fuel dilution and then retest when the oil is hot with a midstream sample. Doubt that Mazda oil will make a difference over standard Mobil 1 - even with the higher Moly content.

Looks ok to me, it's just a new engine so keep an eye on it. Did you take it out for a nice highway run before sampling? If you did you probably wouldn't have much fuel in the oil.

It was about a 5-10 minute highway trip to the dealer to get the oil, 10 minutes in the parking lot, 10 minute trip back home via city streets and then about a half hour in the driveway while I got my tools, the car jacked and the oil draining, so that could be part of it.

Those Mazda DI engines have been known to have fuel dilution issues.
Definitely try the Mazda oil, higher moly by far, probably protects at those tiny fuel-diluted viscosity values! Adequate viscosity makes the oil film thicker, and the 6 value you got is starting to look thin.

Trying running premium fuel. It has shown to make a big difference and reduce fuel dilution to a bare min.

I have 7,500 miles on EP 0w20 in the same engine. Will sample soon.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Isn't it rated for 5K OCI on NY?

This is most likely correct. Freezing temps is severe service IIRC

The fuel dilution hasn't been shown to be detrimental but it will go away if you run premium. These engines are designed to run on 91+ octane but have patched programming to allow 87.

Odds are, you will see increased MPGs with 91+ octane too.

Originally Posted By: buster
Trying running premium fuel. It has shown to make a big difference and reduce fuel dilution to a bare min.

Unlike your NJ governor, that 0w-20 is probably thin by now.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

LOL

I don't know. I've used nothing but premium gas. I do drive fast and the car sees frequent RL's so it should be interesting.

interesting to see the ending VI results, pretty similar to my run of 0w20 afe in my honda civic si...

I would agree w/ the others here that DI is causing fuel dilution. Might be worth stepping up a grade if 0w20 mazda doesn't work.

^^^^ william, I agree. I've always thought anyone using a 0w-20 or 5w-20 engine could use a 0w-30 or 5w-30 quite well. So, given the fuel dilution issues, it is worth considering using something like M1 0w-30, which isn't that much thicker anyway, and it'll handle fuel dilution with room to spare, greater margin of safety. Less viscosity equates to thinner oil films, not always good.

True, but more VI's could be needed due to the larger spread 0w20 vs 0w30. I'd use EP 0w20 which is 70% PAO.

So I looked in the Maintenance schedule from Mazda and the OCI is listed as 7,500 for severe driving conditions (NY) and 10,000 miles otherwise.

One of the features of the Mazda Skyactiv engines is an electronically controlled variable pressure oil pump. The primary purpose is fuel economy - minimizing parasitic drag, but might it not also ensure adequate oil pressure regardless of viscosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back