Desired shift points (with videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loaded 91 octane tune (Steeda CAI with insert) from James. Acceleration is much faster than stock and steeda tunes. However, I am not sure if the shift is still harsh. When shift was harsh using steeda and stock tunes, I felt like being pulled from behind then return to normal speed when changing gears. With the tune from James, I felt like being first pulled from behind slightly then pushed forward slightly then return to normal speed when changing gears. How does it feel when shift is normal? I haven't driven many cars and there are no experienced drivers I can ask.

These two videos were taken after loading the tune from James. One is normal acceleration, and the other is WOT. RPM seems to be higher than stock settings when shifting. What's you guys opinion on the shift points?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5a4x1myic30x9qb/Normal acceleration.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3f4ez8xgtag778/WOT.mp4?dl=0

My car is 2012 Fusion V6 3.0 FWD with about 40k miles.

I drove one of the Fusion clones (Lincoln MKZ Ecoboost) and it'd get rubber going into 2nd gear!

Why did you want to change the shift points? The OEM usually knows what they are doing when programming the trans shift points. On your WOT video it seems like its staying in 2nd gear longer than needed, it also seemed to shift slow into 3rd gear. Is there any way to program it to shift quicker? This will improve longevity of the trans. The shifts on my Accord are quick and crisp usually especially at WOT. The RPM's on your normal acceleration video seem high to me as well. Im not sure how this is programmed from the factory but on my 4 cylinder it shifts around 2000 to 2500 rpm in normal driving, if I let it go up to 3000 rpms or so Im at 45-50 sooner than I need to be, and thats on a 5 speed auto 4 cylinder. I would think on your V6 6 speed auto that the normal driving shift points would be a little lower, even my girl friends Jetta (1.8) shifts around 1500-2000 rpm around town, if you put your foot down and let it rev up to 3000 rpm you are really zipping around.

Your shifts seem not crisp. Too feathery. I wouldn't like that in my car. You can feel the clutch wear in that second video. Made me squirmish...

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Your shifts seem not crisp. Too feathery. I wouldn't like that in my car. You can feel the clutch wear in that second video. Made me squirmish...

I agree, thats how the shift in our Uplander is from 3rd to 4th, only slower, and not at WOT. I just don't see how that can be good.

Thanks for the helpful feedback. People say both too smooth and too hard shift is bad for the car, but I have no idea what kind of shift is best. So I certainly couldn't tell James how to change the shift. He just made the tune as he normally would. Maybe his tune is a little aggressive so that the car runs faster but not so good for longevity of the transmission. He said the transmission was shifting very nicely after looking at the same videos.

I think unless you had a performance cam made for high rpm power you are shifting to high. Also soft shifts create a ton of wear especially when driving hard. The best is the happy medium. I think the combination of soft shifts and to high of rpm shifting makes it a very bad combo. I pretty much can't feel my shifting besides the change in rpm and I know my car is completely different but same princible and even a cheaper car.

Last edited:
Be a man and convert it to manual. 100% control over shift points, every time
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
Be a man and convert it to manual. 100% control over shift points, every time
wink.gif

^^^^^. Worrying about shift points in an automatic is just pretending.

Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back