M1 0w-40 in a Saturn SL1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of running Mobil 1 0w-40 in my 2000 Saturn SL1 with 116K miles that does not burn much oil, for a Saturn, in a few weeks when it warms up for real. With an M1-209 filter, probably.

Driven gently most of the time, mixed city/highway.

Thoughts?

Better than the 5w20 thats in it now. I would probably just use 5w30 (or whatever its spec'ed for) and stick with that, if you want something "better" just use a name brand OTC synthetic (M1, PP, VSP). Will the M1 hurt anything? doubtful! I would rather go up a grade, than go down one.

Fram Ultra beats any M1 oil filter in ISO 4548-12 efficiency and capacity testing.
M1 0w-40 is a thick oil that will return about 1%-2% less gas mileage compared to using a good synthetic SN-GF5 5w-30 or M1 0w-30 oils. For that car, I'd use Castrol Edge Extend Perf 5w-30, M1 0w-30, or M1 Extend Perf 5w-30 for plenty of wear-deposits protection without the worse gas mileage you will get with the thicker 0w-40.

I don't see any real benefit to running m1 0w40 in a car that doesn't call for it but if you really want to calm your soul then do it. It may slightly affect your MPG negatively (minor change) but it is overall on the thin side of 40wt and shears to a 30wt in a few thousand miles on average. I would sooner recommend a stout 10w30 like M1 HM or Valv VR1 if oil consumption is on the mind before I reached for m1 0w40 in this app... unless you have left overs or just got a total steal on it.

For an older Saturn prone to ring failure I would install an oil pressure gauge and keep tabs on it for a while and report back to the more senior members for a more technical based recommendation.

Last edited:
Engine was spec'd for 5w-30 so that is what I'd stick with or a 0w-30. My top choice would be Castrol 0w-30 (BC or GC) but M1 0w-30 AFE would be a good choice as well.

Filter wise, M1 filters are overpriced for what you get. It is a synthetic/cellulose blend made by Champ Labs. IMO the Fram Tough Guard is just as good for quite a bit less OR you can get a full synthetic media Fram Ultra Synthetic or Purolator Synthetic for less than the M1 and they are better filters for extended OCI's.

I'd stick with 5W-30, especially if you have one that doesn't burn a ton of oil. I'm using 10W-40 in mine, but only because I got it dirt cheap and have a bunch of it on hand.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Won't hurt anything; what about a HM blend in 30 or 40 weight?

I've run M1 HM 5w-30 before. Good stuff, but I want to try 40 weight in the summer, the same way I ran 20 weight in the winter. Plus I got the oil and filter on Amazon for $35.65 and will allegedly get a $15 rebate.

Or I could bag it and try NextGen to be green....

Unless you're trying to mask a problem there's no reason to stray from 30wt oils in your car even in winter unless you do a vast
majority of short trips.

Go ahead and pour the M1 0W-40 into it. When the clock strikes 12:00AM midnight, your Saturn will turn into a handsome BMW 530i.

I would rather put in Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel or Rotella T6,
But ONLY if it's burning oil...
Lots of detergents in those oils...

If it's not burning oil, 5W-30, full synthetic..

I have NAPA house brand in mine, $3.79 a quart...

Last edited:
Its your car and your money, but I don't see any reason to pour expensive oil in that thing when it will run forever on absolutely any oil in spec. I sorely miss my SL1...

Since not using much oil I would go with a 30 weight oil.

That being said I am running Delo 15w-40 in my 99SL2. Always used a quart or so per 1,000 miles. Was getting seal or pan leak after running synthetic oil. Car running very good and oil use is way down. You have less hp so a thicker oil may be more noticeable when you try to accelerate. I am using more gas.

Regarding a BMW a friend was going to buy and but did not like the way it rode. Said my Saturn rode better. It has got to the oil.

I've done it, it's great, go for it.

Though I haven't found many x-w40s that a saturn would hate. Generic diesel 15w40s just make them purr, too, at a lower price point.

Yea. The detergent levels in M1's 0W-40 are lacking.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
I would rather put in Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel or Rotella T6,
But ONLY if it's burning oil...
Lots of detergents in those oils...

If it's not burning oil, 5W-30, full synthetic..

I have NAPA house brand in mine, $3.79 a quart...

That's funny. Advise to use 5W-30 than admit to using 10W-40.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I'd stick with 5W-30, especially if you have one that doesn't burn a ton of oil. I'm using 10W-40 in mine, but only because I got it dirt cheap and have a bunch of it on hand.

It's $26 everyday at Wal-Mart. If the OP has no problems spending a few extra dollars for synthetic, there is no problem. Even you agree the engine will run on anything.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Its your car and your money, but I don't see any reason to pour expensive oil in that thing when it will run forever on absolutely any oil in spec. I sorely miss my SL1...

Convenient for you that you can't prove anything you wrote.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Fram Ultra beats any M1 oil filter in ISO 4548-12 efficiency and capacity testing.
M1 0w-40 is a thick oil that will return about 1%-2% less gas mileage compared to using a good synthetic SN-GF5 5w-30 or M1 0w-30 oils. For that car, I'd use Castrol Edge Extend Perf 5w-30, M1 0w-30, or M1 Extend Perf 5w-30 for plenty of wear-deposits protection without the worse gas mileage you will get with the thicker 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Convenient for you that you can't prove anything you wrote.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

Troller from Michigan!!! Mad about Detroit maybe?
Proof comes in the form 4548-12 testing published, and many, many engineering studies that show more highly viscous oil eats more fuel, can vary by engine, so its always been in the range of 1% to 2%. Nice try trolling. Better luck next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back