Quick survey: which cars are toe-adjustable only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And why?

Are front macpherson suspension more likely to be toe-adjustable only?

Which cars do you know have camber-adjustability built in?

Why are some cars designed this way?

Is it because camber and caster doesn't really change ever, except in an accident?

Most anything can be adjusted ... even a straight axle truck or Jeep can have the camber adjusted with offset ball joints or camber shims under the ball joints.

The reason most cars are made to have as few adjustments as possible? It's cheaper to buy the parts and quicker to assemble.

Camber can change as time goes on. Especially with independent suspensions. Springs sag, bushings wear out, etc. Look at the back of Honda minivans and SUVs - they practically ride on the sidewalls they have so much negative camber.

I think most cars with mac struts on all 4 corners just have a toe adjuster, front and back. Some camber adjustment is usually possible on most mac struts, but not a lot without camber bolts or slotting the struts.
Without a hard hard pothole hit, I imagine most cars go to the wreckers without needing more adjustment than what's easily done.

My parents old 1985 corolla stands out though, because not only did it have slotted struts from the factory, but also had camber angle marks cast into the hubs.

It's claimed that saturn s-series are front toe-only but if you grind the strut holes or use aftermarket struts you get camber. If you hog out the top holes you can change caster a little too. The terrible part is if you go to a nasty alignment shop, their computer will claim non-adjustibility, assuming OE struts, and the tech might not even try.

My W-body Century had rear toe adjustments, not sure how or why I'd muck with that. Maybe it was just cheaper to build the thing out of all-thread.
wink.gif

2000 Buick LeSabre - adjustable toe only. I can take both struts completely out, reinstall them, and the camber will be dead on. Best front end I've ever had on a car.

Cruzes and Fits are toe-only from the factory. Mac struts up front and twist beams out back. There are shims available for the twist beam and camber bolts for the struts.

My old Legend with double wishbone suspension is caster and toe adjustable only.

If camber is out, something is worn out or bent. Correction isn't an option without part replacement. Camber kits aren't available for all cars, unfortunately.

Most Ford Taurus models were built this way. You couldn't replace the lower strut bolts with eccentrics and you couldn't grind around the bolt holes for adjustment purposes.

Most MacPherson strut cars have no caster adjustment.

Other times, you can buy a replacement upper strut mount to set camber and caster, but that is a time consuming task.

My wife's 2002 Corolla is toe-only f/r. I was surprised how perfectly the knuckle bolts fit the knuckle and strut holes so there would be very little if any movement.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
My wife's 2002 Corolla is toe-only f/r. I was surprised how perfectly the knuckle bolts fit the knuckle and strut holes so there would be very little if any movement.

That is common.
They want to force people to buy offset alignment bolts.

Other times, people just grind the bolt holes into an oval shape. I did that to my Saturn ION.

All my cars and trucks (except the Model A!) have camber+caster adjustments but it's easy enough to understand manufacturing economics for 'toe-only' edicts.

Plenty of hardware available from the aftermarket to get 'em pointed properly.

www.spcalignment.com

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My Dakota is toe only...so is my wife's (solid axle) Blazer.

Are you sure? If you loosen the upper a-arm bolts (don't) you can muck up the camber/ caster pretty easy. On a 2wd, at least.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My Dakota is toe only...so is my wife's (solid axle) Blazer.

You cannot loosen the upper control arm mounting bolts and adjust both camber and caster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back