150,000 miles change Timing Belt/Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
It felt like a ticking tomb bomb driving my 2010 Chrysler 300 without servicing it on schedule. I was praying mopar parts would hold up. I had the mechanic save me the water pump and belt, they look brand new after 150,000 miles. The whole job cost me $780.00 dollars.They change the tensioner and pully too..Hopefully Napa's parts last too.. I can post pics if anybody wants to see them.

Last edited:
Why did you go so far? I had a '97 Camry with 186k miles on the original timing belt, boy was it cracked!

150k miles on that is pretty decent. I'd like to se the condition of that belt (especially when flexing it for cracks)

If the original parts looked great at 150k, I would of leaned toward using them again. Were they that much more expensive then the NAPA parts?

The transmission works fine, I drained and refilled and installed filter three times during the 150,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
If the original parts looked great at 150k, I would of leaned toward using them again. Were they that much more expensive then the NAPA parts?

Few hundred dollars difference, once you get the mark up. I'm pretty sure mopar pumps are the same pump Napa sells, gates makes most belts with they are mopar or not

Originally Posted By: Topo
Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Few hundred dollars difference, once you get the mark up. I'm pretty sure mopar pumps are the same pump Napa sells, gates makes most belts with they are mopar or not

Gates aftermarket and Gates OE are quite different, at least from my experience.
I only use Gates aftermarket if the person is selling the car soon.

Well everything was Napa, not sure where all there stuff comes from, other than made in American. It's their Tru-Flow pump and usually gates makes their belts.

I just did one that had 188,000 and it looked to be in serviceable condition still. The tensioner was starting to seep a bit though.

I just paid 640 to have mine replaced on the 06....had 91K miles on it, but it was the original since 06 and was making me a little nervous. From what my mechanic guy told me, if you use NAPA parts, they guarantee that the part won't fail. If it does, they pay to have all damaged repaired that the failed part caused.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I just paid 640 to have mine replaced on the 06....had 91K miles on it, but it was the original since 06 and was making me a little nervous. From what my mechanic guy told me, if you use NAPA parts, they guarantee that the part won't fail. If it does, they pay to have all damaged repaired that the failed part caused.

On your Accord? Wow, that is really really cheap. The labor alone is 5 hours and we're at $135/hr over here!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Schmoe

On your Accord? Wow, that is really really cheap. The labor alone is 5 hours and we're at $135/hr over here!

I have heard that in some places, there are indepdent repair shops that only work on Hondas. They may offer a lower price than regular repair shop chains and dealerships.

That's what it was. I've used this shop in the past and this guy knows his business. I even sort of "challenged" him with some questions about the Accords and he seemed really knowledgeable. He has a trick for removing the crank bolt...he calls in one of those 18 wheeler mobile tire changers. They use a much more robust air pressure gun to remove those large bolts, he is able to take that off using that setup. The dealer quoted me 1100 just to change out the belt.....ouch...and I'd lose the car for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back