Unplug that scanner and put your hands in the air!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On an otherwise stock car, the reason there's power to be gained from modifying your tune is that the stock tune has a good amount of safety margin built in. Chipping your car dials out some of that margin. If you get a bad batch of fuel or some ignition parts start wearing out, you're that much more likely to end up with engine damage. And either way, you could end up with shorter emissions equipment life, more engine wear, etc.

Now, if you have other mods, you SHOULD get a tune, and it should be custom. That will help make sure everything runs right.

But on an otherwise stock car, I wouldn't bother -- unless there's something blatantly stupid about the stock tune (e.g. poor throttle mapping), in which case the tune should address ONLY that problem.

The automakers say it's about modifying ECUs for performance, but the lawsuit against Autel is key; automakers want to have more monopoly in who repairs cars, and they want their dealers doing it.

I think it's total B S. Car dealers are the worst place to get non warranty automotive repair work done.

I've heard that when you purchase software (games, suites, antivirus, etc) you are actually buying the license to the softwre (to use it) then actually owning the software. I hope this isn't the case with cars.

If there is sufficient desire, there will be other software to run.

I think most tuning doesn't change the software, it's about changing the data used to determine the amounts of fuel and spark advance given a set of parameters.

I suppose one could program out the catalyst efficiency check for those who've replaced manifold with built it pre-catalysts with headers as an example.

But if the code is replaced, how is this much different than deleting Windows and installing Linux from a copyright standpoint?

There are questions about liability should some 3rd party program be cited as a contributing factor in an accident.

But if you are running your own code, how is that violating the IP rights of the carmaker?

The issue I have is folks will chip their car, cutting out stuff like decel dashpot, then pass a steady state or idle emissions test to catch "gross polluters" and declare they're home free.

The OEs spend way more than 5 min on a dyno to certify their cars under all conditions.

One has to pick something fairly sporty to have others want to tune them in the first place.

What's funny is that 3rd gen camaros use removable, standard issue PROMs and the proms, stuff to flash them, and binary files are all floating around online. Kids doing this might actually learn a life skill.
wink.gif

I can remember back in the 80s/90s, living in Austin, we had a lot of high tech firms around. Buick turbos/Grand Nationals were fairly popular and guys would burn custom EPROMs all the time and distribute them like candy. Those TI boys spent a good amount of time doing custom fuel tables/ignition curves etc.

Don't care what you do to your car as long as you don't expect warranty to cover the damage. Saw waay too much of that, and the diesel techs saw more messed up engines/clutches/transmissions due to chips/programmers than anyone.

The manufactures want the dealers to fix them, its how the dealers make money. In tern the dealers will charge like crazy so the consumer will want to buy a new car.

Good consumers buy a new car every 2-5 years.

Last edited:
If you feel so strongly about it, comment.

http://copyright.gov/1201/

Fill out and submit a short form for "Proposed Class 21: Vehicle software – diagnosis, repair, or modification" in support of the exemption. It takes about 10 minutes to do.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
On an otherwise stock car, the reason there's power to be gained from modifying your tune is that the stock tune has a good amount of safety margin built in. Chipping your car dials out some of that margin. If you get a bad batch of fuel or some ignition parts start wearing out, you're that much more likely to end up with engine damage. And either way, you could end up with shorter emissions equipment life, more engine wear, etc.

Now, if you have other mods, you SHOULD get a tune, and it should be custom. That will help make sure everything runs right.

But on an otherwise stock car, I wouldn't bother -- unless there's something blatantly stupid about the stock tune (e.g. poor throttle mapping), in which case the tune should address ONLY that problem.

I drove identical drivetrains (Hemi LX cars, stock 2007 Magnum and tuned 2006 Charger) back to back, one tuned and one not...the difference was absolutely stunning. The car with the tuner had better throttle response, better transmission tuning, and actually used less fuel-despite a heavy pushbar and sticky 245/45ZR20 P-Zero tires (compared to GY Assurance 225/60R18's) due to more-aggressive cylinder shutoff programming. (It went from absolutely transparent to being noticeable if you were looking for it.) It had been tuned since ~5,000 miles without a problem...last I saw it, it was just over 260K. Only real change was that it now required (rather than recommended) mid-grade fuel.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Good consumers buy a new car every 2-5 years.

LOL, I guess I do NOT qualify as a "good consumer", unlike all of the affluent, status-driven, elitists in my area who think that a 3 year old car (even their supposedly 'perfect'; Lexi, 4 ringers, Bimmers, and Mercs) is 'ancient'.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back