2015 Honda Accord Sport 6MT fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have 2700 km's on this guy, nice car- the shift used to be like flicking a light switch, but now I'm getting what I will call a slight notchiness or slight resistance to shift home- no grinding. Obviously still an oem fill with recommended service at 80k. So wth? Currently looking at GM Synchromesh/Torco/Amsoil as an alternative fill. Northern Canada- cold climate. I haven't checked fill yet but haven't noticed any oil slicks. Appreciate any opinions.

You have a warranty. I'd take it back to the dealership first and let them look at it or change the fluid. Then get your Amsoil or whatever later.

Either Honda or Amsoil MTF. It's good idea to flush out contaminates in the transmission after 2-3k miles, then 30-40k miles after that. Most MT need 2-3 quarts and at $8-10/qt the cost of changing MTF every 30-40k miles isn't bad.

On a new car I'd switch it out with honda mtf first, if the problem comes back, then switch fluids, to something like pennzoil synchromesh which is a little thicker.

Maybe you're just getting used to way it shifts.

Well my wife's a beginner- so who knows how rough she is when I'm not in the car.
Perhaps I should do the Honda mtf first. Been on DriveAcords.com and they do favor the GM stuff.

Isn't the MT fluid monitored by the MM? They do have the MM in Canada, right? Wait until the car tells you to change the fluid.

The owner's manual says either Honda MTF, 0w20, or 5w20

Also worth mentioning that OEM Honda MTF is thinner than it used to be. I don't know anything about Amsoil or Pennzoil or GM Synchromesh, but they are probably thicker than what's in there already because they're more like the old MTF which was more like a 10w30.

For that reason, it's likely that none of those will perform better than the dealer stuff. A really light 0w20 *might* help, but even then it;s a big if.

This is more or less unrelated- not even to my vehicle as it has electric steering assist- but here we have allot of problems with power steering related issues- blowing hoses, noise, etc due to oem not designing systems to operate at -40C, customer abuse, also the trend to cheaper quality parts by the oem and aftermarket. Anyway discussing this shifter issue with my mechanic and he did point out that Honda, in his experience was one of the more fussier makes with fluids....he did show me an Amsoil low viscosity automatic trans fluid he has had success using in the steering system of other vehicles as it has antifoaming properties.

Also- with all the products that are reasonably available in north america, is it worth looking at Motul, etc products?

Any GL4 by any brand can be considered. 75w80 is typically in the Honda MT fluid range.

I would not use an ATF in a Honda PSF unless it was an emergency. Find a synth PSF that mentions Honda. I don't find Honda a fussier make at all.

Well the GM Synchromesh is marginally better. Still not shifting as good as when new but OK. Will look into linkage, had a fellow Accord member tell me the Amsoil worked for him then he tried RP which worked even better.

I wonder....my location is northern Canada- bought the car in January temps were about -25C and now is warming up to 0C, seems to me it had better feel when colder or worse feel when mileage put on. I would think temp had more to do with this at the mileage as the fill is supposed to last 30k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back