Corolla will now be built in Mexico...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just FYI, most Corolla's are built in the USA in the Mississippi plant (TMMMS). I believe their annual capacity is right around 150,000. I think its close to 90% of Corollas are made at that facility.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
So they cant say "Made in USA" anymore...or say its more American than say a Chrysler 200..I would like to see every Toyota made in Mexico,so USA Americans have one less reason to buy one.

The more sad fact is more "imports" are made in the USA than the "domestics" seem to be these days which strikes a question in itself... why are they creating facilities in the lower 48 when our home turf brands are running out?

Originally Posted By: LemanJoe

Mexico is very "smart choice," because big cats can bribe their ways into everything they wish in Mexico. Environment? Taxes? Are you kidding me? They will tell the Mexican government when to jump and when to jump even higher.

The brutal truth that the Ivory Tower types will never admit to but this is exactly their plan.

Originally Posted By: Lead Shoes
The more sad fact is more "imports" are made in the USA than the "domestics" seem to be these days which strikes a question in itself... why are they creating facilities in the lower 48 when our home turf brands are running out?
I read the imports started to build plants in North America to get around the high tariffs that the big 3 forced on them.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: wemay
Article

'Made in Germany' loses more luster as BMW, Audi, M-B expand footprints'
by Elisabeth Behrmann

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140704/OEM01/140709904?template=mobile

From link above:

"...The new Mexican plant follows BMW’s decision to invest $1 billion to raise annual production capacity 50 percent at Spartanburg by 2016 to 450,000 vehicles, including the new full-sized X7 SUV.

When the expansion is complete, more BMWs will roll off the line in South Carolina than from any other facility in the world.

While the “Made in Germany” cachet remains critical to BMW, the focus is shifting more to engineering and design in its home market, with manufacturing carried out elsewhere to reduce import tariffs and currency risks, Milagros Caina-Andree, the carmaker’s head of human resources, said in April.

“We are now an international company with Bavarian roots and many sites abroad where we build vehicles at the same high quality level as in Germany,” she said."

Everyone is looking for the slightest edge... times are different.

The Spartanburg plant (in the USA) manufacturers most of the X-series SUV's, as they are an American/Canadian consumer item.

Just click on the link I posted and see where things are made. It is pretty straight-forward.

Yeah, absolutely a logical play by BMW. Building most of the SUVs in the U.S. Most other models in Germany. That Leipzig facility is very impressive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Lead Shoes said:
I read the imports started to build plants in North America to get around the high tariffs that the big 3 forced on them.

Yes...and they'll now be advertised as "made in America"

I thought US nameplates cars have to be made and assembled in US soil:
http://i.imgur.com/yJDGpqy.jpg
yJDGpqy.jpg

So much for being an "American" car. Rebadged Daewoo with an American Buick badge to make it look American with a Korean platform and drivetrain with Chinese parts.

Last edited:
Just this weekend I toured Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky where they make the Camry, Avalon and Venza. Can't speak for the other 2, but 85% of the parts on the Camry are US made. They can crank out 1 every 54 seconds and they have 2 lines running. Pretty impressive stuff.

They are also adding on a Lexus plant and have a little over 7000 employees. The place is so big they have their own pharmacy.

Last edited:
Former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney = Tratado de Libre Comercio de América del Norte.

QC will likely remain largely unaffected they'll merely reduce COGS. Will Toyota "pass the savings along," though?

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
yJDGpqy.jpg

So much for being an "American" car. Rebadged Daewoo with an American Buick badge to make it look American with a Korean platform and drivetrain with Chinese parts.

Not new...offhand, the Aveo was entirely Korean. (It's also a Daewoo.)

yJDGpqy.jpg

Nothing like cherry picking the one model on the lot that has a VIN starting with a K.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: Lead Shoes

The biggest ones were applied to pickup trucks. It was about 25%.
What I read was that with cars, there were quotas about how many could be exported. In order to deal with that, Japanese car companies would build premium models in Japan, and build the simpler cars in the USA.

As for German cars made in Mexico, VW has got to be the biggest maker. The U.S. version Jetta has been built there since at least 1999. For 2015, the U.S. spec Golf and GTI are made there now.

My mom's 2011 CRV was made in Mexico, but I can't find any change in build quality compared to an American or Japanese made Honda.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
yJDGpqy.jpg

Nothing like cherry picking the one model on the lot that has a VIN starting with a K.

Chevy Spark anyone?

Originally Posted By: Benoit

History showed that any production that moved from germany, usa, canada to mexico had not shown good history of quality in their first year of production.

probably so, but i'm sure they will do a fine job long term.

Can't speak to 1st year production, but I know I wish my 2013 Freightliner semi truck had been built in the Mexican plant. The truck I bought, two plants, one in Mexico and one in N. Carolina. The dealer told me after the fact that they preferred the ones from Mexico, as they had fewer issues. Mine was built in N. Carolina. It took the dealer 2 extra weeks to fix problems with the truck before handing it off to me. Seems Bubba, John Boy, and whoever in N.C. was more interested in getting to Hooters after work or when they could go bass fishing to waste time about actually doing their job and building a truck right. At least Juan, Pedro, and Ortiz are thankful they have a decent job and put some effort into building the trucks right. I was quite comfortable when I learned that my 2013 Silverado was also built in Mexico.

They have good jobs being brought to them, yet they are still flooding over the border illegally? Something doesn't add up.

Interesting to see your 2013 Silverado was made in Mexico. We have a local GM truck plant about 45 minutes away.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
They have good jobs being brought to them, yet they are still flooding over the border illegally? Something doesn't add up.

Interesting to see your 2013 Silverado was made in Mexico. We have a local GM truck plant about 45 minutes away.

Since most of Mexico's population seems to be in the U.S. now, I wonder who is building the vehicles in these plants in Mexico?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Because a Mexican vehicle plant worker makes a tiny fraction of what the same worker makes in the USA. Mexican workers are
slave wagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back