OE parts suppliers car companies go with

Status
Not open for further replies.
i read a book on toyota motor company. they used to use more of their own parts than any other company and insisted on ultra high quality control on the few parts that were outsourced. this is the reason for their high rate of reliability. since expanding to north america things have changed

i read a book on toyota motor company. they used to use more of their own parts than any other company and insisted on ultra high quality control on the few parts that were outsourced. this is the reason for their high rate of reliability. since expanding to north america things have changed

A bit liked Hyundai is doing also. They source some stuff from elsewhere but a lot is made by them under license.

The first Passenger car Hyundai diesel was a VM built under license, and I bet they own part of Kefico.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
A bit liked Hyundai is doing also. They source some stuff from elsewhere but a lot is made by them under license.

The first Passenger car Hyundai diesel was a VM built under license, and I bet they own part of Kefico.

Hyundai did that with numerous Mitsubishi gasoline engines during the 1980s and afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Kefico was making quite a bit of stuff under a Mitsubishi license - so did Mando. Hyundai was also dependent on Bosch and their early cars were more or less Mitsubishi.

I think it would shock most folks to know that most of their vehicle components are NOT made by the OEM. I have hauled assembly plant production parts for all the big three U.S. OEM's for a lot of years. The OEM's really only "make" stamped body parts. Even their engines, the vast majority of the components from valves to timing gears to flywheels, are made by 3rd parties. Absolutely NONE of the interior components are made by any OEM. The bulk of interior components from dashes to headliners to seats is made by Leer. Similar thing for wheels, brakes, axles, lights, etc, etc, etc. Accuride makes the largest percentage of wheels for production assembly plants. American Yazaki, thru a plant in Mexico, makes the lion's share of GM's wiring harnesses. I have even hauled glass produced at the Ford Glass Plant in Broken Arrow, OK to GM and Mopar assembly plants. That glass plant also produces a lot of glass used for windows in buildings! I think PPG took that plant over now. Just take the time if you can and watch the number of trucks that roll in and out of a Ford, GM, etc assembly plant. They are not there because it is a fun place to spend a few hours. Most plants are on a 15 min appointment window for each truck to arrive, to coincide with the assembly line timing, depending on which dock and component. Do not, I repeat, do not arrive more than 15 min early or later than 15 min late from you scheduled time our you will be in deep doo doo. And even with that in mind, there is usually a line of trucks at the gate waiting to check in. I am glad I don't mess with that stuff anymore. It is truly a logistics nightmare not for the faint of heart.

Any mess up that causes a assembly line to shut down costs over $100K per hour the line is down. The line has a two hour window before it will be out of a particular component. I have seen parts brought in by helicopter to keep the line up until the regular scheduled shipment can arrive.

Valeo (French) is another big auto parts supplier I have not seen mentioned yet. They had a big plant in Rochester, NY where I worked as a contractor that shut down and moved to Mex. 3500 people out of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back