Rat's starter is failing, Anybody ever rebuild one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starters and alternators are often easy to repair (things like brushes, regulators, diode packs, slip ringe can often be replaced). If you need to press in new bearings, that's still doable. If the stator or rotor are bad, it's probably just to get a new alternator unless you have a parts alternator.

I briefly filled in during vacation season at a Mom & Pop starter/generator/alternator shop doing tear downs and sandblasting.

The Nippondensos are the best. Their is a large copper washer inside the solenoid that burns up. The starter will occasionally just click once loudly, this means the washer is burnt. Look carefully in your phone book and find the Mom & Pop starter re-builder in your city. The washer should be about $5.

I refreshed a Nippondenso for a friend about a year ago [2000 Tacoma V6 w/about 200,000 miles]. It was actually in quite poor condition. It had two worn out bearings. I ended up changing the copper washer, all three bearings, and I had to buy a new bendix gear to scavenge some pieces off of. It ended up being about $40, but well worth it since it is the original starter, rather than a "who knows" parts store rebuild.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I briefly filled in during vacation season at a Mom & Pop starter/generator/alternator shop doing tear downs and sandblasting.

The Nippondensos are the best. Their is a large copper washer inside the solenoid that burns up. The starter will occasionally just click once loudly, this means the washer is burnt. Look carefully in your phone book and find the Mom & Pop starter re-builder in your city. The washer should be about $5.

I refreshed a Nippondenso for a friend about a year ago [2000 Tacoma V6 w/about 200,000 miles]. It was actually in quite poor condition. It had two worn out bearings. I ended up changing the copper washer, all three bearings, and I had to buy a new bendix gear to scavenge some pieces off of. It ended up being about $40, but well worth it since it is the original starter, rather than a "who knows" parts store rebuild.

Yes, I have found the Washer and two 'L' shaped tags will fix a ND starter 90% of the time.
A very easy job to do at home. No special tool required
Cost, about $10

The last time I saw a guy rebuild an alternator, he couldn't put it back together. That scared me from rebuilding alternators or starters.

I have used the local rebuild shops to rebuild several alternators. One they turned the rotor on a lathe to make the area the brushes hit smooth. They also have a scope to look at the waveform output. The output of an alternator is 3 phase AC and it takes a 6 diode bridge to convert it to DC. Loose one diode and the output might be close to the right voltage but the waveform will be wrong.

I brought in a Mando alternator (Bobcat & Mercruiser) and he tossed it in the scrap pile and sold me a Delco rebuilt. He does not touch Mando (Korean).

One place also rebuilt the tilt/trim motor for my Mercruiser.

Many places now do not want to rebuild the normal automotive stuff. They specialize in heavy equipment and truck starters/alternators.

I spent a few years patching up a starter in my scout until I ran out of extra part is. Use to be able to buy kits with brushes and such for starters and alternators. Now I have a shop next door that does them for me cheaply but good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
To me life is to short to rebuild alternators and starters...lol

if your life is too short, why do you waste your valuable time here at this DIY forum?

Originally Posted By: thrace
Originally Posted By: andyd
I think it is a Nippon Denso. I will know more when I take it out.

Try these links. Did replace solenoid and contacts on my Nippon Denso starter and it looked like these links. Was easy. Do not overtighten any small bolts or nuts. Could easily break a wire. Did that but was easy to re solder broken wire.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml#Update-III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWm8j1SkUD8

Great second video.
as seen, normally it's only one of the contacts that is worn. But, for the price, you may as well replace the whole set.

Where do you guys buy these rebuild kits? I looked for one on RockAuto, and they just sell the whole enchilada.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Where do you guys buy these rebuild kits? I looked for one on RockAuto, and they just sell the whole enchilada.

I have bought alternator parts off of eBay. Other online places have them as well. Some auto parts stores can get you some stuff (like brushes), but they won't have it in stock.

^ I used to get some alt/starter kits at PepBoys - been some years ago so don't know if they would carry them anymore. I now buy rebuilds locally so I can just make an easy swap - and have them re-checked/tested before leaving the auto store.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

if your life is too short, why do you waste your valuable time here at this DIY forum?

Entertainment. I enjoy responses like yours
smile.gif

I don't know what lofty pursuits you spend your time on. I get my thrills fixing, making do and reusing stuff. I don't do it to save the planet or anything but to see if I take something apart and fix it. Problem solving and puzzles to keep my brain agile.
grin2.gif

On a ND starter, all you really need to replace are the two contacts. I actually did replace the plunger and had to order couple of them until I found the right sized one but it was really not necessary. Just put the polishpaper on the existing plunger ring where it makes contact and that should enough along with the two new contacts. If I could do it, *anybody* can do it!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Entertainment. I enjoy responses like yours
smile.gif

i see. that makes you officially a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back