Coming to a Wal-Mart near you: K&N Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only do they not protect your engine, they dirty up your MAF sensor on a modern engine. Not good for power or fuel economy when your MAF gives improper information to the computer. No reason at all to use one.

Although not the most efficient air filters, they are...decent. They are also extremely well made. I think we pile on K&N a little too much.

Last edited:
What's the payoff for accepting the cost and inconvenience? I did the Amsoil foam filter thing 25 years ago. Don't recall any payoff there. By the time I had to toss the thing from dry rot I think I could have bought at least five conventional air filters that would have taken me twice as many miles.

Anything on a Walmart shelf is open season to destroy or steal for a lot of people. KN $35 filters just don't fit.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
What's the payoff for accepting the cost and inconvenience? I did the Amsoil foam filter thing 25 years ago. Don't recall any payoff there. By the time I had to toss the thing from dry rot I think I could have bought at least five conventional air filters that would have taken me twice as many miles.

Less filters in land fills. I have never seen a well maintained K&N dry rot. Their efficiency also goes up with use, according to many posters on here. Again, i know it isn't the best filter out there but it isnt garbage either. As evidenced by many users who have used them hundreds of thousands of miles.

The old Amsoil "lifetime" filters were made of foam. They were a pain to clean and what I called dry rot was chunks of foam breaking easily from the rest of the filter.

I am all for saving landfill space, but since I starter recycling long before curbside programs (had to often take different recyclables to different places) I have more than minimized the landfill space I use compared to others. So, for me, cleaning and re-oiling an air filter isn't on my list of things to do - anymore.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Less filters in land fills. I have never seen a well maintained K&N dry rot. Their efficiency also goes up with use, according to many posters on here. Again, i know it isn't the best filter out there but it isnt garbage either. As evidenced by many users who have used them hundreds of thousands of miles.

K&N filters are the worst filter that can be pulled off of a shelf and put into a car.

Efficiency may go up with use, but K&N filters plug so fast, it's next to impossible to reap the benefits.

http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

Where the landfill is concerned, how many boxes and bottles of the "cleaning kit" are headed there with a K&N filter?

I've used a variety of filter mediums in a number of intake systems over the years, including some K&N's. The generalizations and hysteria over K&N's here on bitog speak more to the users than the filters. Used and cleaned correctly in a given application they can work very well. I've never had any of the issues people are freaked out about here. Good grief.

Originally Posted By: 72te27
I've used a variety of filter mediums in a number of intake systems over the years, including some K&N's. The generalizations and hysteria over K&N's here on bitog speak more to the users than the filters. Used and cleaned correctly in a given application they can work very well. I've never had any of the issues people are freaked out about here. Good grief.

laugh.gif
I guess people can get worked up over this stuff a little. I have never used a K&N air filter ... not because I think there is something wrong with them. I just prefer to use the regular filters like OEM, Purolator Classic, Hastings, NAPA Gold/Wix, etc.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Malmart stocked them 10 years ago,they didnt sell then and wount sell now.To much.. money for what you get,$50,00 air filters are $35.00 too much for the walMart demographics.

Agreed. Same reason Royal Purple is thinning at WalMart as well.

When I bought my Colorado, it had a K&N air filter in it. I swapped it out for a NAPA paper filter.

I kept reading on the Colorado forums about guys having to Seafoam their throttle bodies every 2-3 years or so due to gunk build up. I was not happy to learn that I may have to be doing that. Then I talked to some Colorado owners that have never had to do that. I found out the difference - K&N OILED air filters vs. paper. Nuff said.

The display at my local WM has already been destroyed. Folks have bent and crushed the media's wire supports. I am sure there are a few Extra Guards in the K&N boxes too.

K&N filter $58.00 stock one for my SUV is $40.00.
Pays for its self with two cleanings.
I normally change the air filter in my vehicles at 6 month or 1 year intervals.
Have not had any oil problems yet, let them sit overnight on 3 or 4 paper towels and take the excess oil out.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
K&N filter $58.00 stock one for my SUV is $40.00.
Pays for its self with two cleanings.
I normally change the air filter in my vehicles at 6 month or 1 year intervals.
Have not had any oil problems yet, let them sit overnight on 3 or 4 paper towels and take the excess oil out.

Sounds like you're changing your filter too often anyway. I would recommend an oem paper style filter with a restriction gauge. There is no substitute for proper air filtration if you care about your engine.

I was at my local walmart this morning ,and I notice a big selection of K&N Air Filters! Very Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back