marvel oil vs seafoam in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Trajan

The other is mostly kerosene dyed red with a 10wt oil carrier. All the stuff that does the cleaning has a low flashpoint such that it's gone in less than 20 minutes.

For whatever reasons, MMO does "not" flash off when in the sump. I'm not a believer in MMO, but I am running it currently in the escape at 20% and I have 3k+ miles on it so far and zero loss in oil level. I have even been running it in high RPMs for extended periods to get things as hot as I can.

I can't say i have any proof it is cleaning anything, either. I just wanted to say me, and many others, have not seen MMO flash off when added to the sump.

Never said that the oil flashes off. The stuff that supposedly does the cleaning does. So you're left with the oil that carries it.

I added 7ounces of MMO to my oil in my Cherokee last week. I drove it 50 miles and did an oil change today. It was it need of an oil change anyhow so I thought why not try MMO.

Sidebar-
I'm a believer in the stuff that most don't like adding to their autos engines but there is really nothing to lose with it other than ten bucks or less here and there.

I don't think I would have 241,000 miles on my '92 Cherokee if it weren't to good fuel additives and one product a lot of people seem to hate on here. That is Lucas oil stabilizer. Every oil change with it gets a quart of Lucas and a 5quart jug of Vavoline maxlife 10w30.

MMO has been around for 100yrs so they must be doing something right for engines over the years that others swear by.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
I added 7ounces of MMO to my oil in my Cherokee last week. I drove it 50 miles and did an oil change today. It was it need of an oil change anyhow so I thought why not try MMO.

Sidebar-
I'm a believer in the stuff that most don't like adding to their autos engines but there is really nothing to lose with it other than ten bucks or less here and there.

I don't think I would have 241,000 miles on my '92 Cherokee if it weren't to good fuel additives and one product a lot of people seem to hate on here. That is Lucas oil stabilizer. Every oil change with it gets a quart of Lucas and a 5quart jug of Vavoline maxlife 10w30.

MMO has been around for 100yrs so they must be doing something right for engines over the years that others swear by.

Yet many cabs, limos and LEO cars get to far higher mileages than that (saw a local Limo with 1.2 million Km's on it for sale a number of years back) with nothing other than regular maintenance and oil changes. No wizards in a can
wink.gif
(to use Trav's phrase).

My old Townie (which now has around 400,000km on it, or roughly 250,000 miles) has had nothing but oil changes at sane intervals with a quality lubricant its entire life.

I'd wager your old Jeep would have gotten to this mileage just fine without the heavy Group I brightstock with tackifier and red dye.

Originally Posted By: wantboost
What u guys mean oil flashes off??

Not the oil, the solvent that is part of the product. Solvents are quite volatile and when exposed to heat will flash off quickly leaving only the carrier oil, which is a thin pale oil.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Sidebar-

Yet many cabs, limos and LEO cars get to far higher mileages than that (saw a local Limo with 1.2 million Km's on it for sale a number of years back) with nothing other than regular maintenance and oil changes. No wizards in a can
wink.gif
(to use Trav's phrase).

My old Townie (which now has around 400,000km on it, or roughly 250,000 miles) has had nothing but oil changes at sane intervals with a quality lubricant its entire life.

I'd wager your old Jeep would have gotten to this mileage just fine without the heavy Group I brightstock with tackifier and red dye.

And if we're going to base use of a product on age.... Berryman, 1918. Valvoline, 1866. So we all should be using those two products.
smile.gif

Oh, we should all be using Oldsmobiles, but as they're gone, Ford is the oldest car company in the US. So we should all have them....

Last edited:

Sidebar-

wink.gif
(to use Trav's phrase).

And if we're going to base use of a product on age.... Berryman, 1918. Valvoline, 1866. So we all should be using those two products.
smile.gif

Oh, we should all be using Oldsmobiles, but as they're gone, Ford is the oldest car company in the US. So we should all have them....

Lets see Valvoline makes some good stuff. Berrymans for cleaning up varnish clogged carbs, works great. Fords I loved all of mine.

Oldsmobile was a great car I had a couple of them too, classics. What a great ride.

Wondering why is it you make a point to dump in these threads? I did a little searchin and that seems to be some kind of pattern you follow.

I

Sidebar-

wink.gif
(to use Trav's phrase).

Not if it needs any real mechanical work in the engine block it helps. Rings, valve clearances, etc.

I have tried my jeep without adding Lucas and i didn't like it. I don't think my compression is good enough without. That's all.

And why I added the MMO right before the oil change was just to do a mild cleaning of any sludge or deposits in the engine. I know I shouldn't because I run a synthetic blend but you never know. I wouldn't run MMO in a higher dosage than what they recommend for at a longer interval anyhow.

Btw my jeep ran great after the oil change like always!! Just like anybody's car or truck should after an oil change.

Last edited:

Not if it needs any real mechanical work in the engine block it helps. Rings, valve clearances, etc.

I have tried my jeep without adding Lucas and i didn't like it. I don't think my compression is good enough without. That's all.

If you like how your engine runs on heavier oil, why not, instead of diluting the oil with Lucas, just running a heavier oil?
21.gif

If you like how your engine runs on heavier oil, why not, instead of diluting the oil with Lucas, just running a heavier oil?
21.gif

Or fix the compression problem?

21.gif

Or fix the compression problem?

How do you know there is a compression problem? Did you do a compression test on his engine?

Rockydee says that MMO works for him. I have no reason to question what he says. Maybe we should take a poll here and find out how many guys have used MMO with positive results and how many have used MMO with negative results. I don't know what the results would be, but judging from some discussions about MMO that I have seen here at this website the majority of guys who have tried MMO had positive results.

MMO has been in use for several decades.

This Oil Additive Section is for discussion about Oil Additives I think.

My position is that nobody HAS to use oil supplements or engine cleaners of any kind. But some seemed to have proved useful to at least some guys. I personally have obtained good results from some Lubegard products.

Now of course some will demand scientific proof (except for a product that maybe they use themselves). That is a silly straw man argument. I don't think anybody here has the money it would take to hire some lab to do scientific testing.

Since the Oil Additives Section is for discussion about Oil Additives (I think that is the purpose) I see no problem with guys discussing oil supplements and engine cleaners. Both positive and negative experiences. I want to hear both (preferably from guys who have actually used the product).

Yeah I get sick of the blah blah blah I don't ever use additives blather.

That's just fine, but you're on the wrong forum then.
06.gif

EXACTLY! Very good post! Why would anybody who is not interested in Oil Additives even come to this Oil Additives Section? Now I am not saying they can't come here, but if they have no interest in oil supplements and engine treatments I don't know why they would come here.

I am more interested in what guys who have used some oil additive have to say, both negative and positive.

I am not very interested in somebody saying, "Just use good quality motor oil.' Alright, we can do that, but the purpose of this Oil Additives Section is for guys to discuss oil additives. Seems simple to me.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
EXACTLY! Very good post! Why would anybody who is not interested in Oil Additives even come to this Oil Additives Section? Now I am not saying they can't come here, but if they have no interest in oil supplements and engine treatments I don't know why they would come here.

I am more interested in what guys who have used some oil additive have to say, both negative and positive.

I am not very interested in somebody saying, "Just use good quality motor oil.' Alright, we can do that, but the purpose of this Oil Additives Section is for guys to discuss oil additives. Seems simple to me.

AMEN!

I was about to say something like that though you beat me to it.

If someone is against oil and fuel additives go take your opinion else where. It's our money on the additives we are doing whether they really work well or not. But I think they kinda do! The kinda is more than kinda.

Years ago I did do compression tests. As for using thicker oil than the 10w30 I go with what works for me for the last 150,000miles so I really don't care what Lucas haters say about the stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Yeah I get sick of the blah blah blah I don't ever use additives blather.

That's just fine, but you're on the wrong forum then.
06.gif

X2. I am so very glad that someone else has noticed this as well.

I am a long time Marvel Mystery Oil supporter. If someone doesn't share the same view, I am always glad to discuss it. Having said that, if you havent ever used MMO, and/or the only experience you have with it is second hand info, then you probably shouldn't participate in this subforum.

As for using thicker oil than the 10w30 I go with what works for me for the last 150,000miles so I really don't care what Lucas haters say about the stuff.

It's not about being a "hater", it's about having some general knowledge of what the product IS and being curious as to why somebody, who finds out that it is just basically increasing the viscosity of the oil, wouldn't just choose the less expensive route (and the benefit of not diluting the additive package) and use a heavier oil in the first place
21.gif

I've used (many moons ago) Lucas PS stop leak as well as their transmission goo when I had a rear seal go out on my T5 and wanted to limp it by and needed something that would stay in the case. With the PS system, the seal on the steering box eventually went and I swapped out the box. It never stopped the leak either. Obviously that seal was too far gone for "conditioning".

The first time I saw the Lucas stuff "revealed" was on this site many, MANY moons ago. There were pictures (which I'm sure exist somewhere) of their differential product vs a quality gear lube. It foamed like crazy and caused massive amounts of aeration. Further discussion indicated that their Oil Stabilizer was essentially just heavy bright stock and a tackifier to make it "cling" like chainsaw bar oil (for the gear "test rigs" at your local parts store).

At that point I wrote off all of their products.

And southernjeeper, you and I talked about this before in another thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2392856/Re:_They_Call_it_"Luc#Post2392856

And this post lists its contents via a VOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2865873/Re:_another_lucas_thread....#Post2865873

Originally Posted By: electrolover

Here is the skinny on LOS
Unless listed all are 'Zero'
Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

It has no anti-wear additives. It is just insanely heavy
21.gif

Also, I found Bob's old test in case you were interested (electrolover linked it in that other thread but the images were dead):
http://web.archive.org/web/20080220235528/http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

As for using thicker oil than the 10w30 I go with what works for me for the last 150,000miles so I really don't care what Lucas haters say about the stuff.

It's not about being a "hater", it's about having some general knowledge of what the product IS and being curious as to why somebody, who finds out that it is just basically increasing the viscosity of the oil, wouldn't just choose the less expensive route (and the benefit of not diluting the additive package) and use a heavier oil in the first place
21.gif

I've used (many moons ago) Lucas PS stop leak as well as their transmission goo when I had a rear seal go out on my T5 and wanted to limp it by and needed something that would stay in the case. With the PS system, the seal on the steering box eventually went and I swapped out the box. It never stopped the leak either. Obviously that seal was too far gone for "conditioning".

The first time I saw the Lucas stuff "revealed" was on this site many, MANY moons ago. There were pictures (which I'm sure exist somewhere) of their differential product vs a quality gear lube. It foamed like crazy and caused massive amounts of aeration. Further discussion indicated that their Oil Stabilizer was essentially just heavy bright stock and a tackifier to make it "cling" like chainsaw bar oil (for the gear "test rigs" at your local parts store).

At that point I wrote off all of their products.

And southernjeeper, you and I talked about this before in another thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2392856/Re:_They_Call_it_"Luc#Post2392856

And this post lists its contents via a VOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2865873/Re:_another_lucas_thread....#Post2865873

Originally Posted By: electrolover

Here is the skinny on LOS
Unless listed all are 'Zero'
Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

It has no anti-wear additives. It is just insanely heavy
21.gif

Also, I found Bob's old test in case you were interested (electrolover linked it in that other thread but the images were dead):
http://web.archive.org/web/20080220235528/http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

I was here when Bob was doing his experiments (I really liked Bob) and I agree with all of this. And personally I would not use Lucas products either except for maybe their fuel system cleaner, which I sometimes can get very cheap.

What I don't like is when somebody comes to the Oil Additives Section and tells everybody, 'Just use good quality motor oil and no oil supplements.' And especially if that guy at some other time says, 'Use product XXXX instead of MMO (or Kreen, or whatever).' The purpose of this Oil Additives Section, I believe, is for discussion of engine cleaners and oil supplements, both pro and con. I think everybody understands that a person can just use quality motor oil. If a person does use just quality motor oil I don't know why they are even interested in the Oil Additives Section.

I personally have used some supplements that did work for me. For example I used a Lubegard power steering supplement that definitely seemed to work. I know. I was an eyewitness.

If some product is being used and discussed in the Oil Additives Section, I want to hear what guys say about that product-pro and con. It is sort of counter-productive for a guy to show up and say,'You should just use motor oil.' Or for somebody to show up and start telling everybody they should be using some other product. If they want to discuss that product, they can start their own thread.

If MMO is being discussed, is it possible for us to discuss MMO? I understand that some people don't believe in MMO and maybe dislike the people here at this website who like MMO. But I think people should have the right to discuss whatever product they want to discuss-both PRO and CON.

I get really upset when some product is being discussed and somebody arrives and tells everybody, 'You should just use quality motor oil.' I think everybody should understand that just good quality motor oil can be used. If that is what that person believes, why are they in the Oil Additives Section? I am not saying they can't read the posts in the Oil Additives Section. Sure they can. But why would they even be interested?

Now, if somebody wants to start a thread here where they discuss why just good quality motor oil should be used and engine cleaners and oil supplements serve no purpose-that is fine with me. They can certainly start such a post. I would read it. I would be very interested.

The only thing I am saying is if MMO (MMO vs Seafoam in this post) is being discussed maybe the people involved in that discussion have the right to discuss what the post is about. Instead of being lectured that they should just use quality motor oil or somebody pontificating on why they should use some other product. I think it would be very useful that if the discussion is about MMO vs Seafoam, that the discussion should stay on MMO vs Seafoam.

Well, it is only a silly, straw man argument if you think that "As for using thicker oil than the 10w30 I go with what works for me for the last 150,000 miles so I really don't care what Lucas haters say about the stuff" means anything, right? It only means his engine went 150,000 miles and is (presumably) running today. Beyond that no meaningful conclusions about Lucas can be derived from his experience. None, zero, zilch. Yet by making the statement we are supposed to conclude the positive benefit is that somehow it contributed to the engine's longevity. That is an absolutely unsupported conclusion, plain and simple.

And BTW, the word "hate" is often trotted out when deflection from any sort of rational discussion is desired.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Now of course some will demand scientific proof (except for a product that maybe they use themselves). That is a silly straw man argument. I don't think anybody here has the money it would take to hire some lab to do scientific testing.

Since the Oil Additives Section is for discussion about Oil Additives (I think that is the purpose) I see no problem with guys discussing oil supplements and engine cleaners. Both positive and negative experiences. I want to hear both (preferably from guys who have actually used the product).

Well, for that matter, Lucas products were not being discussed in this thread. MMO vs Seafoam was the post title. How did we get off course?

I don't think we can get very far if every discussion is going to be interrupted and changed to a discussion about something else. Does that seem fair?

If there is a discussion about some engine cleaner or oil supplement, or product X vs product Z, I think it is important for the discussion to stay in that area. But we always seem to have somebody show up and pontificate and say, 'Everybody should just be using quality motor oil!' Or for the discussion to be changed to a discussion of some other product.

So if MMO vs Seafoam is the post, and we wind up discussing Lucas products or Mobil 1 or whatever-what happens to the discussion about MMO vs Seafoam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back