Backing into parking places.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I remember reading hypermiling techniques and that's one of them.

If you have the option of pulling through to park, it's one less forward reverse operation for the car (wasting time/gas). Then, even if you cant pull through, backing in while the engine is hot and efficient is preferable to backing out, stopping and going forward while the engine is cold.

Surely it's minor, I think the improved visibility is a better reason.
'

I started doing it at work to reduce wear on the clutch ... a minor amount, I'm sure. Our parking lot is on a slope. to exit, you drive up. So if I drove in to the parking spot, I would have to start facing up hill. However, if I back in I can just roll into the parking spot backwards. Then leaving, I'm starting on the flat (but off camber), then just go.

I always park backing in. Easier to maneuver and to perfectly align/center your car.
The only time that i dont back in is if i know ill need to place something in the trunk and the space is limited.
Here where i live they also prohibit parking backing in in some places such as banks.

My company has a reverse parking policy. The idea is better visibility upon leaving. I always try to pull through when parking in a lot, if not sometimes Ill pull forward, sometimes Ill back in. Same at the house. But at work, I always back in.

I dont think Ive ever seen (or paid attention) to a sign instructing to park forward only.

Last edited:
I generally pull through spots. Although with the truck I am about to start backing in, as it has no visibility! Cannot see the lines while pulling through. But I usually park out a ways, no big deal.

I back into my driveway as a rule. I do not like backing out into the road.

Last edited:
I've been backing into parking spaces for as long as I can remember.
Safer in and out and easy to do for those who have mastered the art of using the mirrors.
There are some parking areas where backing out would be a matter of hope, while backing in gives you an easy in and out.
We even back our cars into the driveway and into the garage.
In an angled space large retail lot, I'll just park way out and pull through.
I see a lot of advantages in backing in and no downside.

So, if you see a vehicle that has backed into a parking slot you should take extra care because that person might have an emergency and can come rushing out of their parking slot and since by self established definition, would be more important than you and certainly would have the right of way.

I had to walk around a pickup that backed into a parking slot with the bed hanging over the side walk completely blocking access. His rear wheels were against the sidewalk. The space was marked "Compact Car Only" and there were at least a hundred parking slots a little farther away, even normal sized spaces. As you've noted in previous posts this person must have been prepared for a quick getaway. And to be fair his Ford F-350 diesel 4x4 might have been considered a compact truck if you're used to driving an 18 wheeler. There was further evidence that he was prepared for parking lot getaways because his truck was lifted at least 2 feet which meant that he was prepared for speed bumps and other parking lot hazards.

I think I understand about backing in and I will make every attempt to not get in the way of an important person.

I reverse into parking spaces 90% of the time. It's easier to center the vehicle between the lines, using the mirrors. I always reverse into my garage, I'd rather have a clear view coming out the driveway of any kids playing in the street.

Work insurance asks us to back into parking spaces - based on the theory there is less to pay attention to when backing into a parking space than when backing into traffic.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
S

I had to walk around a pickup that backed into a parking slot with the bed hanging over the side walk completely blocking access. His rear wheels were against the sidewalk. The space was marked "Compact Car Only" and there were at least a hundred parking slots a little farther away, even normal sized spaces. As you've noted in previous posts this person must have been prepared for a quick getaway. And to be fair his Ford F-350 diesel 4x4 might have been considered a compact truck if you're used to driving an 18 wheeler. There was further evidence that he was prepared for parking lot getaways because his truck was lifted at least 2 feet which meant that he was prepared for speed bumps and other parking lot hazards.

Some people are inconsiderate, others stupid, maybe this guy was both.

I find it a lot easier and safer to pull straight out of a parking spot, especially if the vehicles next to mine are bigger. With my van and no side windows pulling straight out makes life a lot easier.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
S

I find it a lot easier and safer to pull straight out of a parking spot, especially if the vehicles next to mine are bigger. With my van and no side windows pulling straight out makes life a lot easier.

Compact car spots are merely a suggestion, not a requirement. I park in the center of two compact car spots (taking up two spots) every Saturday on my weekly shopping trip. I may be inconsiderate or stupid (or both), but I don't really care what others think. I have two kids in car seats and it is extremely hard to get them in and out unless I have a little extra space to maneuver.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
One thing I do notice that I see as a silly fad is the remote start vehicles. These people are in such a hurry to get home that they want the car started and warmed up (great for the car, right?) so that all they have to do is jump in and go.

I appreciate my cars being cooled down, or warmed up, to a preset temperature when I get into the car.

I could not care less whether it is good or bad for the car. The cars serve my family. I don't serve them.

I'm sure I'll be one of the first ones to go when the machines finally take over.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Work insurance asks us to back into parking spaces - based on the theory there is less to pay attention to when backing into a parking space than when backing into traffic.

We had a defensive driving course for work and along the same lines, they said that when you are pulling into a parking space, you're more aware of the things going on around you as you just drove through that parking lot, so back in. When leaving, you might not have the same/as much situational awareness, so pulling out is better than backing out.

Are we talking about 90 degree angle spaces or slanted spaces? When I worked at General Dynamics (now Lockheed) in Fort Worth the massive parking lost had slanted spaces. Industrial Security would advise, then boot people's cars if they back into the spaces. I guess it was because in a slanted space you would be pulling out against the direction of traffic.

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: andrewg
One thing I do notice that I see as a silly fad is the remote start vehicles. These people are in such a hurry to get home that they want the car started and warmed up (great for the car, right?) so that all they have to do is jump in and go.

I appreciate my cars being cooled down, or warmed up, to a preset temperature when I get into the car.

I could not care less whether it is good or bad for the car. The cars serve my family. I don't serve them.

I'm sure I'll be one of the first ones to go when the machines finally take over.

Ok...no problem. I didn't think of taking good care of a vehicle as "serving" it. A car is a huge investment. I try to take care of that investment so that the car functions (serves) me well for a good return on that investment.

I assume you change the oil and perform needed "service" on your vehicles, right?

Same thing. We just have different opinions.

You remind me of a character in the TV show "Mad Men". His name on the show is Michael Ginsberg. Had the same attitude you do.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
S

Compact car spots are merely a suggestion, not a requirement. I park in the center of two compact car spots (taking up two spots) every Saturday on my weekly shopping trip. I may be inconsiderate or stupid (or both), but I don't really care what others think. I have two kids in car seats and it is extremely hard to get them in and out unless I have a little extra space to maneuver.

When my daughter was younger i did the same thing, until one day some SOB keyed my Wrangler. If i would have gotten my hands on him i wouldn't be writing this. People don't always know when someone takes 2 spots they might have special needs.

Back on the topic, i always back into spots unless there's a sign telling me otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back