What oil do NHRA cars use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks. I will admit I haven't looked this up, so please bear with me. What brand and grade of oil does a NHRA top fuel, funny car and pro stocks use? I would think a good synthetic or a custom blended oil. Thank you in advance

Also check out the other Redline race oils from that webpage. Each of them has a different recommended usage.

Thank you A_harman
11.gif

Lots or Redline race oils but really is meaningless unless you plan on running a Top Fuel or Pro Stock car in which they are two completely different oils.

Originally Posted By: car51
Good afternoon folks. I will admit I haven't looked this up, so please bear with me. What brand and grade of oil does a NHRA top fuel, funny car and pro stocks use? I would think a good synthetic or a custom blended oil. Thank you in advance

Stock & pro-stock have been using a very light weight oil since the 1950's. Those engines typically are only ran a few minutes at a time before the run, and shut down ASAP afterwards.

Z.

Originally Posted By: zray

Stock & pro-stock have been using a very light weight oil since the 1950's. Those engines typically are only ran a few minutes at a time before the run, and shut down ASAP afterwards.

Z.

You mean light as in their 5wt and 10wt drag race oils?

Speaking of only Top Fuel cars, (funny cars and dragsters), if you watch them pour in oil during the reassembly process, it is anything but light. Watching the stuff pour from the jug, I would guess it to be 40W or higher.

As was stated earlier in this thread, the NHRA TF and FC cars use a 70wt oil. It's used due to fuel dilution, and to help protect parts under the extreme stress these engines are subjected to during a pass.

Some Teams do use the Redline Nitro 70 oil that was mentioned.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: zray

Z.

You mean light as in their 5wt and 10wt drag race oils?

Yes. But that's just for the super stock & pro stock classes. As pointed out already, every drag racing class uses a different oil. It's a very specialized type of racing.
Z

Was out in houston at Royal Purple Raceway this weekend..took this pic...here is what was going into Tony Schumachers car...thats the only sticker on the drum....

Prostocks run down to 0wt or 5wt oil.
Nitro engines 70WT
Blown Alcohol engines, seen them run Torco TR1 50 or 60 wt.

I went on the road with a Nitrous pro mod team one summer, they would run Amsoil Dominator 20W-50 and 8oz of ZDDPlus , 12 quarts in the dry sump tank.

i work at bandimere speedway for a retirement job. at mile high nationals i ask the crew's of the pros why they use red line they say its hard to beat it up. other oil companies oils are destroyed really easy. my question is why do you use it? they show me an example after a run red line and saw other teams use for instance Castrol, amalie,mobil, etc.what it looks like after a run. it was really interesting. torco did fairly well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back