Thoughts of Castrol EDGE Extended Performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a few posts about the Castrol EDGE EP, but it seems like Castrol doesn't get a lot of love here at BITOG, or is that my imagination?

smile.gif

I'm looking at it's specs and it seems like a great oil, but I'm just wondering if anyone else is running it? Does anyone know of any engine photos (like of the valve train, etc.?) from BITOG members who run this oil?

I'm wondering if it's a Group III, IV or V oil, so I asked Castrol (via a chat session) and they said, "Castrol formulations are proprietary – the type and quantity of each component cannot be released. That said, Castrol motor oils are formulated with the highest quality base oils available. Depending on the product, the type of synthetic oils used can be Group III, IV or V."

I see on their web page - http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/products/car/motor-oils/castrol-edge-no-titanium.html they claim, "Castrol EDGE Extended Performance with Titanium FST provides unsurpassed protection for critical engine parts, ensuring optimal performance – with the strength to enable an extended drain interval of up to 15,000 miles. Independent testing has proven EDGE Extended Performance stronger than Mobil 1 Extended Performance against viscosity breakdown – the ultimate test of strength" and the footnote says, "Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 was proven stronger against viscosity breakdown based on ASTM 6278 and CEC-L-14 independent testing".

This claim caught my eye since I've always been a fan of Mobil 1 oils. When I asked Castrol for some "proof" of this claim via my chat session, the person I chatted with had no documentation to offer me but said that Castrol stands behind any claim(s) they make. I must admit this seems a little odd to me because if I was in their shoes I would WANT to show the documentation to kick sand in the face of my competitor! http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JvpwUz1nl4A/StFwvym1-1I/AAAAAAAAAKA/3Jsa0dM9Vd8/s400/shapeimage_2.png

Comments? Feedback? What do y'all think of this Castrol?

smile.gif

Ed

Last edited:
Castrol seems to have a pretty robust additive package in their EP oils.

I have used regular Edge synthetic in the past and have some gold bottle EP in the queue for a future change.

The Edge 0W-20 performed well in the Camrys.

I use Castrol LL03 in my two VW diesels and so far have no complaints. I use a 10,000 mile oil change interval. The Passat has had two changes and the Sportwagen will be coming up in a few months.

i have the 5w30 ep flavor on deck for my next oci in an impala v6.

will pricey per quart, it does appear to have a bolstered additive levels
and uses magnesium more than calcium. I don't know if that is better.

Castrol's pds seems general on some data points but meets a few many
manufacturers specs.

Just put the 5W30 flavor in my wife's 13 Mazda 3 2.0.

Seems to make no difference other than quiets it down a bit vs 0W20. MPG seems unchanged.

I have EP 5w-20 ready to go for the next two oil changes on the Ford Focus. I can run 10k OCI's within warranty with the driving style it is used for (70% hwy/30% city).

Though not published it is pretty much accepted that all Castrol Edge products are group III oil EXCEPT 0w-30 (German and Belgian made) and 0W-40 (German made) varieties.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
...Though not published it is pretty much accepted that all Castrol Edge products are group III oil EXCEPT 0w-30 (German and Belgian made) and 0W-40 (German made) varieties.

Castrol told me on the phone that their Castrol EDGE Extended Performance is their best oil. If that's the case, I wonder (of course we don't know for sure because they won't confirm) if the Castrol EDGE EP is either Group IV or possible V?

Castrol said, "...Depending on the product, the type of synthetic oils used can be Group III, IV or V."

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
...Though not published it is pretty much accepted that all Castrol Edge products are group III oil EXCEPT 0w-30 (German and Belgian made) and 0W-40 (German made) varieties.

Castrol told me on the phone that their Castrol EDGE Extended Performance is their best oil. If that's the case, I wonder (of course we don't know for sure because they won't confirm) if the Castrol EDGE EP is either Group IV or possible V?

Castrol said, "...Depending on the product, the type of synthetic oils used can be Group III, IV or V."

Ed

I read that they don't change anything as far as components in their oils when shipping to North america. So the stuff on the shelves in Europe is the same as the stuff here so if anything can be gleaned by looking at the euro products maybe start there.

Ed

Given it was Castrol who was the company to first market Group III oil as "Synthetic" in the US and the fact that there is no set definition by law of what "Synthetic" oil must be in the US, there is no reason to believe that a US produced Castrol Edge product is anything but Group III. I'm sure Castrol Edge EP is their "best" oil produced in the US...since the word "best" is a marketing term and has no legal definition, it's a word you can use for any product.

The Belgian and German Castrol (which is not rated as a EP) is different because in Europe the word "synthetic" actually means a group IV or V base stock by law.

This is by no means saying that Castrol Edge isn't a good oil, I use it and it works great. But I'm not going to blindly assume that because Castrol used a few slick marketing terms on the phone with you that it is anything more than what they have been selling for years as "synthetic" in the US market.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Ed

I read that they don't change anything as far as components in their oils when shipping to North america. So the stuff on the shelves in Europe is the same as the stuff here so if anything can be gleaned by looking at the euro products maybe start there.

IDK if it is the same stuff, but there are many threads on BITOG about German and Belgian Castrol that indicate that it is indeed a true (by EU standards) synthetic.

I have used gold bottle Edge in our KIA and I thought it was awesome. Of the full syns I've tried, (M1, Ultra and PP) the Edge impressed me the most.

Once we are out of warranty I will probably go back to it and just do 10k OCI's.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I have used gold bottle Edge in our KIA and I thought it was awesome. Of the full syns I've tried, (M1, Ultra and PP) the Edge impressed me the most...

Can you be more specific - i.e., what was it that impressed you? Thank you.

Ed

Ran the quietest of anything I have tried in it, anything. UOA was impressive, van was short tripped a good bit and shear was next to non-existent in 7k's worth of use.

This was gold bottle before they started touting it as an extended drain oil. I'd imagine the current version is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back