looking for fully synthetic SAE 40 single grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Volvo Penta marine engine (gasoline) that called for SAE 40 synthetic. My marina used a Volvo Penta-branded oil in that grade for my oil changes, but as I recall it was quite expensive.

Volvo Penta did specify and sell Synthetic SAE40 oil, however I've found they discontinued it and superseded to Synthetic 10W-40 oil.

You might inquire with Amsoil and ask if their CJ4 15W40 is free of VIIs. Part of the "problem" (at least with your request) is that synthetics inherently behave differently with respect to temperature (as far as viscosity change) compared to mineral bases, so even a VII free base designed to have 40 level viscosity at 100C will likely have less than 40 viscosity at subzero temps.

The LE 40 oil linked above has only a 227.0 MB spec, not very high on their scale. Ideally you'd look for 228.2 but all the 228.0/.2 oils have SA>1.0%.

I have often wondered how VII free oils would behave in say a HEUI PSD over an OCI as far as infamous shearing.

Charlie

PS: BTW EMD oils have zero zinc/ZDDP

Originally Posted By: Fraser434
Have a read of this white paper in the link.

Looks like a piston aircraft oil would be best bet. I've considered using Schaffer SAE 30/40 in a similar application.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.utexas.edu%2Fresearch%2Fctr%2Fpdf_reports%2F0_5532_1.pdf&ei=4bAaVee3CIK1ggSflYOAAw&usg=AFQjCNG3F36QB6BN-Bai3M-GpeuFqa6pdg&bvm=bv.89381419,d.eXY

Aeroshell oil
AeroShell straight mineral oils are blended from selected high viscosity index base stocks.
These oils do not contain additives except for a small quantity of pourpoint depressant
(which is added when improved fluidity at very low temperature is required) and an antioxidant.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shell.com%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fshell%2Fstatic%2Faviation%2Fdownloads%2FAeroShell-Book%2Faeroshell-book-3peo.pdf&ei=w7IaVaHbFoapNsybgbgO&usg=AFQjCNHpP5jaUmlouETClwg-nXcnsxcbEw

You can use Aviation Oil in a water-cooled automotive application, but don't use extended OCI's because Aviation Oils have little or no detergent additives (not needed when you inspect every 50,100, 200, 500 and rebuild at 800 (radial) -2500 (flat 4/6 cyl) hours.

Considering Aviation Oils are not cheap, personally I would seek out an API approved oil. I've used Aeroshell 100 (= API 50) in my bike (air cooled v-twin) but only for break-in on a rebuilt motor with OCI's at 50 miles, 200 miles, and first 2,000 miles, then switched to 20W-50.

Got the oil in a 20-litre pail for free when my company switched from radials to Pratt+Whitney Canada (PWC) PT-6a turboprops in our De Havilland DHC-3 Otters.

Last edited:
He said the "target engine does not have" silver bearings.
So that is not the issue. And no need to consider aviation motor oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Exhaustgases
He said the "target engine does not have" silver bearings.
So that is not the issue. And no need to consider aviation motor oil.

Far as I know, only EMD and GE engines have silver plated bearings. Some EMD engines in non locomotive application don't have silver plating. Thus came to this conclusion on an engine oil test.

Quote:
The research team recommends that Galveston Ferry Operations begin using Exxon Elite
20W50 in all of its ferries. Although this is an airplane piston engine oil, aircraft oils are
necessarily designed to minimize wear due to the danger resulting from an engine failure at
altitude. Thus, it was not surprising that this oil had the lowest rate of change of wear metals of
all of the oils tested. Additionally, like all aviation piston engine oils, Exxon Elite has no ash
whatsoever. Thus, it was also not surprising that Exxon Elite also had the lowest rate of
accumulation of calcium deposits. Exxon Elite also had the second lowest oil consumption rate.

Good article
Galveston Ferry Operation (GFO) Engien Failure Assessment

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back