Challenges of stop/start engine lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I found most interesting:

In benchmarking trials, Mann's development team has has seen some oils “surprisingly deficient” in this respect, a situation suggesting imperfectly matched additive combinations. They believe this causes different additives to ‘fight’ each other for grip on the metal surfaces at certain temperatures. It is also why aftermarket additives should under no circumstances whatever be mixed with a balanced formulation, Mann said.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
This is what I found most interesting:

In benchmarking trials, Mann's development team has has seen some oils “surprisingly deficient” in this respect, a situation suggesting imperfectly matched additive combinations. They believe this causes different additives to ‘fight’ each other for grip on the metal surfaces at certain temperatures. It is also why aftermarket additives should under no circumstances whatever be mixed with a balanced formulation, Mann said.

The topic was friction reduction. Friction reduction doesn't necessarily equate to wear reduction.

And yes, additives have to balanced so they do not act antagonistically but rather synergistically.

It'd be nice to know what type of add packs (and what oils for that matter) constitute the "deficient" oils. In the case of the Prius, the Gen I and Gen II spec 5W30 (dino or synthetic) and many owners run "whatever" in them...and they're holding up for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues. Toyota only recently began specifying synthetic 0W20 (mainly their excellent version of that viscosity)in their hybrids and other vehicles. Maybe I missed something here or perhaps they're referring to conventional engines using start-stop technology. If there are specific add packs (or base oils...or a combination of both) that are better suited for these start-stop engines, I'd like to know what they are.

what toyota does in hybrids, engines are spun for a couple of seconds before fuel is injected, not sure if that is done in the stop/start, probably not as drivers would notice the delay.

the whole article reads like an infomercial for miller. they even mention wear scar size.

Start/stop, another technology I can do without.
27.gif

The good news is it can be disabled.

Mishmash of concepts to "prove a product" for every application.

Cold start of highly loaded electric motor driven drivetrains have little to do with stop-start engines, some of which come with "thermos" style heating systems, and as per friendly_jacek, different starting regime.

They have similarities with other purveyors of one additive does all...trying to use gear oil tests to prove their sutability in IC engines...I can google "Miller oil four ball", or "miller oil sequence IV" and get different numbers of results.

http://www.millersoils.biz/nano-technology.html

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
The topic was friction reduction. Friction reduction doesn't necessarily equate to wear reduction.

And there's always that...it's counter-intuitive until understood.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Start/stop, another technology I can do without.
27.gif

The good news is it can be disabled.
For now !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back