garage sales& flea markets

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my kids were getting out of diapers, wife & I loaded up for Ikea, made a day of it, and got them each a $250 dresser.

Well, kids slamming doors etc and the dressers fell apart in 2-3 years.

Got them some $10 yard sale dressers with dovetail construction, no more problems. They got a little love on the deck outside, wiping down with alcohol, to kill any bed bugs and generally shine the finish a little.

Yep, some of the old stuff simply lasts longer.

I go when I feel like it. I used to keep a list of socket or wrench sizes I was missing. These days I go and buy things I need, or will need soon enough, if it is a good price. But I don't go crazy.

I recently went to the Salvation Army and stocked up on very lightly used shirts. Great price, $3.50 vs $25+ at Target. Didn't see any pants, but I don't mind paying new as I get years out of clothes.

And if you itemize on your taxes, when you donate them back, your cost to wear that shirt is even less.

I can't usually get shirts as I wear tall sizes. But I can get away with going the next size up 2XL for sweatshirts.

Nothing like picking up a $3 to $5 sweatshirt to knock around in the garage on a fall day. If you get it oily, you are far less bothered than if you did the same to a $30+ sweatshirt.

Originally Posted By: supton
Yep, some of the old stuff simply lasts longer.

I go when I feel like it. I used to keep a list of socket or wrench sizes I was missing. These days I go and buy things I need, or will need soon enough, if it is a good price. But I don't go crazy.

I recently went to the Salvation Army and stocked up on very lightly used shirts. Great price, $3.50 vs $25+ at Target. Didn't see any pants, but I don't mind paying new as I get years out of clothes.

I enjoy them, but it seems like everyone but me gets the deals. Steel tool/ tackle boxes, vintage Craftsman tools, Lawn Boy mowers, vintage fishing gear etc. I have better luck on Craigslist. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back