Backing into parking places.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a new fad that is starting to grow?

Today at the gym about twenty percent of the cars and pickups were backed into their parking places.

A few years ago it would be unusual to see any car or pickup backed into a parking place.

At work there were cars backed into parking places even though there are signs that prohibit such parking. I asked some coworkers and they commented that this was something new.

Has something changed? Is there a need to make a fast getaway?

Did this when I went to the Bar or Club. Back in sober - pull straight out half-cocked.

I like to back in. you know the traffic better.

Was required where I worked at AT&T.

I always back into a spot or pull straight through, unless a sign says it's not allowed. I find it a lot easier and safer to get out of a spot driving straight out vs. backing out. Maybe its old school, because that's how I was taught. My wife and I taught our son to do the same thing.

I've seen some businesses that ask their employees to please back in, either via signs in the parking lot, or on posted notices in the office/lockerroom etc.

At the industrial plants for my company it is company rule to always back in so that in emergency you can quickly evacuate.

Why would there be signs to say do not back in? That seems ridiculous.

The funny thing is people who back into angled spots. I do not get that. Another odd thing is people who back into parking spots at Costco or bjs, knowing full well that all the junk they buy is going to go into the trunk.

When I was a police officer it was super common to back into spots - much easier to get going in a hurry if a hot call comes out. Everyone backed in on there off days too with their personal vehicles.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is this a new fad that is starting to grow?

Today at the gym about twenty percent of the cars and pickups were backed into their parking places.

A few years ago it would be unusual to see any car or pickup backed into a parking place.

At work there were cars backed into parking places even though there are signs that prohibit such parking. I asked some coworkers and they commented that this was something new.

Has something changed? Is there a need to make a fast getaway?

I back into parking places that are really confining (when I have to use them) because its easier to maneuver precisely while backing up since the steering wheels are at the following end of the car.

But also, there's a growing trend of on-street back-in angled parking because of better visibility when leaving the parking space. There's lots of it going in here in Austin, and I love it. My wife hates it, so opinions are definitely divided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HddkCbsWHlk&feature=youtu.be

I back in whenever I can.
Much safer than backing out (esp. without electronic nannies to help you, like in my wife's car.)

...and you can see the surroundings MUCH earlier when coming out of parking space later.

Much easier to jump-start, or tow (if car is FWD), too, if it's ever needed.

(Only time I do not back the BMW in is when I suspect a battery might need replacing soon - it has battery in trunk - or that the car might need towing for some current problem that's been going on - it's RWD, and the other side of the car doesn't have easy access to a tow truck, etc)

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
At the industrial plants for my company it is company rule to always back in so that in emergency you can quickly evacuate.

Why would there be signs to say do not back in? That seems ridiculous.

In many of the senior developments I work in which have walk in units have signs posted saying something to the effect of, park head in only. They don't want people idling their cars and the exhaust smell finding its way into the units.

Sometimes it's just easier to back in, depending on the vehicle's position and where the parking space is. I've seen people back up and pull forward, sometimes twice, in order to pull nose-in to the parking space, when they could've just backed into the space without having to back up and pull forward multiple times.
I often, but not always, back into parking spaces. Roughly 50% of the time I back in. Back in high school my friends thought it was cool to always back in to spaces, so I kind of joined in with them and started doing it too. I'm glad I did, as it gave me a lot of practice doing it.

At work it's company policy to always back the company vehicles into parking spaces, or pull through if possible. You can park your personal vehicle in the parking lot any way you want, but the company vehicles are to always be backed into the spaces, and if there is a passenger, the passenger is to get out and guide you as you're backing up.

Yesterday I saw a few cars backed into 45 degree spots. That requires some maneuvering!

Let alone pulling out of that spot when there's a car adjacent...

Fad? I don't think so. But these days people are almost always in a hurry. No real validity to being in a constant hurry....but people just seem to think they need to be.

But.....I back in when I park at work. The reason is that when I leave, most people are...you guessed it...in a HUGE hurry so that they can get home 2.5 minutes faster. Since I back in like the rest of them, I can pull out much safer than having to back out with those clowns behind me (some literally RUN to their cars...weird).

One thing I do notice that I see as a silly fad is the remote start vehicles. These people are in such a hurry to get home that they want the car started and warmed up (great for the car, right?) so that all they have to do is jump in and go.

Maybe they will make an auto-door opener soon as well so that you can just dive into the car?

I back into my work parking spot every day.

Where my spot is positioned, backing in is the easiest way to get in and out of the spot.

Simple. It's much easier and safer to back in and pull out of a parking spot. It's easy to get the entire sight picture when you are able to pull out of a parking spot versus trying to back out of a parking spot. If you're backing in it's the lesser of two evils-backing in is safer than backing out.

I generally park at the far end of the lot and back in if it's a single row against the edge of the parking lot. If it's a store with angled parking I'll again park at the far end and pull all the way through so I don't have to back at all (which is my preference).

It's always been easier for me to maneuver into tight spaces using the mirrors and backing up than going ahead. I'm not sure that a parking spot is considered a tight space.

Also, much easier to get out of a parking spot once backed in. When backing in to a parking spot, I have a relatively good confidence in nothing coming at me. Then when I go to leave - I don't have to try to see around / over taller cars.

When I drive in ... it's not so easy. Plus changing direction.

I wish more people would try to back in to parking spots.

Why would it not be allowed?

Originally Posted By: andrewg
One thing I do notice that I see as a silly fad is the remote start vehicles. These people are in such a hurry to get home that they want the car started and warmed up (great for the car, right?) so that all they have to do is jump in and go.

I don't own any cars with remote start, but:
what's wrong with that? when your car is parked outside at work and you get off your shift in the middle of the night or early morning, and when the outside temps are below freezing and car is all covered in ice? I and my coworkers have a 8-10 min walk from office to the parking lot on 95% of the time.

have seen coworkers start their car from that distance with On-Star or some such thing (or some iphone app) - they run up to a higher floor (some can do it straight from their office) and start their car remotely, and by the time they walk to the car it's ready to go.

what's bad about that? I'd totally use it if I had that function.

At the grocery store one time I sat and watched this goober attempt to back in this huge completely white trashed-out truck into a parking spot. I literally watched this idiot for 5+ minutes attempt this and ended up super crooked in the spot once it was all said and done.

Is it all about "being noticed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back