LubeGard Purple (PS additive) plus ATF on a Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it says on the bottle that it turns any PS fluid into Honda PS fluid.

Well we all know that Dexron III is excellent PS fluid..so it should turn ATF into Honda PS fluid, right?

Well, we'll find out. Cos I flushed the PS system on my CR-V with ATF and topped it up with a bottle and a quarter with LubeGard purple.

Seems fine so far. (one test drive).

For how much that costed you, why didn't you just buy the proper fluid from the dealer?

My vehicle takes Dex III. I had it flushed with that, then put in the purple LG addative. Been fine for a year. Steering performance improved with the new fluid, then improved more with the addition of the LG. But this isn't in a Honda. It is in a Vibe, essentially a Toyota. I'm a little leery of the "converts xxx to xxxx" claims of the LG products. But they are good products otherwise.

I've used that additive to successfully quiet the power steering on a few Fords.
Have no idea how it would perform on a Honda. Lubegard makes good stuff, if you don't have a stealership nearby I'd try it.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
For how much that costed you, why didn't you just buy the proper fluid from the dealer?

The reason I used it is that I had it already. I don't remember exactly how much it cost me; I think a local AAP was getting rid of all the LubeGard inventory for really cheap--like $1.99 a bottle for anything. I have like five bottles of the red.

I figured since I had 1 1/4 bottles of the LG purple, I'd use Dex III and that and see how it went.

Originally Posted By: Lumberg

The reason I used it is that I had it already. I don't remember exactly how much it cost me; I think a local AAP was getting rid of all the LubeGard inventory for really cheap--like $1.99 a bottle for anything. I have like five bottles of the red.

I figured since I had 1 1/4 bottles of the LG purple, I'd use Dex III and that and see how it went.

I don't believe that the LubeGard P/S additive is supposed to be added to P/S units using Dexron ATF as it's P/S fluid. It's to be used in P/S units using P/S fluid. In the past, I have called(1-800#) ILI on this question as was told this information.

LG also told me that the LubeGard Red Bottle can be added to P/S units using Dexron type ATF.

Now, I don't know if there is really a difference between P/S fluid and ATF. Or if they're the same but, using different additives for their specific applications. Dexron ATF being required in most Toyota's P/S units for example!

My exact thoughts.

lubegard purple is like 9 dollars at napa and 12.99 at napa and oreilly's. i bought it at a carquest on sale and have half a bottle of lubegard red left, but i wwas thinking about using more, but waiting till it's on sale to buy more.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
lubegard purple is like 9 dollars at napa and 12.99 at napa and oreilly's. i bought it at a carquest on sale and have half a bottle of lubegard red left, but i wwas thinking about using more, but waiting till it's on sale to buy more.

Is that for the small 4 ounce bottles to add to power steering units? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Lumberg
I don't remember exactly how much it cost me; I think a local AAP was getting rid of all the LubeGard inventory for really cheap--like $1.99 a bottle for anything. I have like five bottles of the red.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
How much did it cost you for a bottle?

coffee2.gif

I cant speak to its conversion properties if any, i don't go for that sort of nonsense.
Honda's are finicky when it comes to PS fluid as are some cars that take CHF 11S.

It does have some esters that may have long term benefits on rack and pump seals and is possible a good maintenance product not a cure.
It does seem to help alleviate pump whine on some vehicles.
IMO if anything just add it to fluid that already meets the manufacturers spec. Racks and pumps are not cheap and Honda is well known for PS pump issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back