Tree question - property line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this maple tree in the backyard, there are 2 branches of the tree (which is 60 ft tall) sitting on top my neighbors house.

1. if the branch breaks and fall on my neighbors house, whose insurance will cover it?
2. Should I go ahead and get the tree branch cut?

It is the big tree in the middle that is growing over the grey roofline towards the east.

yVbtnca.jpg

What are your neighbor's wishes? I wouldn't want limbs hanging over my house.

I would leave the tree alone. If your neighbor doesn't like the branches over his house, HE can cut them. Even though the tree is yours, if the branches are over his property, he can cut them all he wants and you can't really do anything about it. If it damages his house, it's his insurance and his problem.

So if it doesn't bother your neighbor, don't let it bother you and just leave it alone. If it does bother your neghbor, let him deal with it and let him cut the branches if he wants.

While it might be nice of you to have it trimmed off of his house, it's legally his responsibility. If it hangs on his property, it's his tree branches to do as he wishes with.

ok, I was worried that I had to cut it down so he does not incur any damages.
Cool, I will leave it alone, Thanks a bunch guys!

Let the neighbor trim the tree. If he cuts the branches too far and kills your tree. Your neighbor would be responsible for killing the tree.

stockrex: I wouldn't make a decision like this based on an internet board of people who a) you don't know; b) have no idea of the laws in your municipality. Call your insurance company for a definitive answer. The folks here are likely right but making a simple phone call confirms it.

Originally Posted By: dtownfb
stockrex: I wouldn't make a decision like this based on an internet board of people who a) you don't know; b) have no idea of the laws in your municipality. Call your insurance company for a definitive answer. The folks here are likely right but making a simple phone call confirms it.

I was going to say much the same thing.

But, I'd never cut a tree unnecessarily. Who knows which way the tree will fall during a big storm.

Looking at the pic, if I was your neighbor I wouldn't be too worried about the branches. I'd be more worried that a storm will come through and drop the whole tree on the house.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I would leave the tree alone. If your neighbor doesn't like the branches over his house, HE can cut them. Even though the tree is yours, if the branches are over his property, he can cut them all he wants and you can't really do anything about it. If it damages his house, it's his insurance and his problem.

So if it doesn't bother your neighbor, don't let it bother you and just leave it alone. If it does bother your neghbor, let him deal with it and let him cut the branches if he wants.

This for sure.

Exactly. His house, his insurance, his problem.

That's incredibly bad advice. You could be liable for damages that the falling branches may cause.

The court usually applies a reasonable care standard. If you took reasonable care to maintain the tree branch, and the branch did not appear to be threatening to fall, then it would be considered an Act of God and you won't be liable.

If, after applying the reasonable care standard the court were to find that you should have known that the tree branch posed a danger of falling, then you could be found liable for damages. If the neighbor has already mentioned concerns about it, especially if it's in writing or in front of a third party witness, then it's quite likely that you'll be held responsible should the branch fall and cause damages.

Landowners are responsible for maintaining trees on their property. Legally they must make required inspections and take care to insure that the tree is safe. If an inspection shows that the tree is unsafe, a landowner is responsible for its removal.

What does the neighbor say? Don't neighbors chat across their fences anymore in the evenings anymore? ;-)

Seriously, why not collaborate on the issue. If he's worried about damage, maybe split the cost of the trimming and have him waive liability.

pop_rivit,
The part over my neighbor is safe, but I rather get rid of it then take any chances.

440Mag, I hear you, I did not want to [censored] him off by saying I am cutting it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back