Dealership offered synthetic oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

The dealership offered me 10 full synthetic oil changes for 200 bucks.

Considering this thing takes 7 quarts, it sounds like a good deal to me. I'll also follow the OLM.

What do you think?

Check the fine print to make sure it's not an up to 5 quarts oil change. Even then it would probably be a decent deal with full synthetic.

Sounds like a deal, just making sure it includes a filter? Lol

Can they tell you what brand they are putting in it vs whatever is in the tank... Which would be dino

Considering My winter oil change cost me right at $52 at WM for M1 5qt jug & 2qts & F/U filter... $200 is a Dang Good Deal!

Make sure that is for 7Qts of actual Synthetic oil and Filter...

Sounds good if they really use a good synthetic.. Who knows what they really put in. Most dealers are not the most honest bunch but there are a few exceptions.

Good deal. Just expect them to try and upsell you on some fancy additives. Also make sure it's not bulk 10w30 from a black drum or tank and take advantage of you.

Well it is a deal only offered with the purchase of a new vehicle.

200 for the full syn and 140 for the dino. 7 quarts and a filter.

Too good to be true, I think. Even if the filters were given to me, that's less than $3/quart for synthetic. Plus, you taking up their bay area, plus paying a kid to do it. Plus, all the other overhead.

I just don't see how it's possible. Not even close.

But then again, maybe they do up-sell and pressure the customer to pay $60 to change their air filter, $80 for their cabin filter, $60 for wiper blades, etc. etc. Maybe there are a lot of people willing to pay ridiculous prices for these types of services. If that's the case, keep your wallet at home.

Sounds like you got a great truck from a great dealer. Grab that oil change offer quick. Even if they use dino, it's a fantastic price. Mopar filter?

Assuming they do the full oil change with filter, that they're not trying to up-sell you every time you bring the vehicle in, and it's convenient for you to take your vehicle there for oil changes, then go ahead and do it.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Well it is a deal only offered with the purchase of a new vehicle.

200 for the full syn and 140 for the dino. 7 quarts and a filter.

Sounds like a good deal. I'd buy it at that price and I even enjoy working on my own vehicles. Oil changes are a loss leader anyway. Many dealers lose money on every one they do. The key is you come in the door. The hope is you're happy enough with the service to have big repairs done there or to purchase your next vehicle from them when the time comes.

Be prepared for "Your tires are due to be rotated, want us to take care of that for you?"

I wouldn't do it. Who knows what the tech will put in? "0w20 requirement? Oops we're out of it I'll just use 5w30 conventional"

Boy back in the day they used to offer free oil changes as long as you owned your car. It's just a loss leader to get you in there so they can sell you other service. The $200 might be just enough to cover the cost of the oil and filter.

Be prepared for them to try to get you to have all kinds of work that needs to be performed that really may not need to be done.
I went by my local Nissan dealership for a part for spark plug change. I asked how much they would charge to have it done. The service manager lady said that per her computer I should have my valve cover gaskets changed too. Now mind you I understand that it made "some" sense because the throttle body and upper intake manifold had to be taken off to even get to the three spark plugs on that side of the motor. So, yeah while you are there it makes some sense to do that since you already there. But.. I have Zero problems with a valve cover leak. She asked me a second time if I was sure I didn't have a leak there. This was quite annoying. I am about maintainence but why perform this when there is NO problem there?? Period. This had FAR more to do with them chickenheads trying to make an extra $300 in labor for their shop than anything else. Garbage. And for the record.. I had a 95 Nissan Sentra that never had a valve cover leak and that car had 242,000 miles on it. So I would like to think a 2008 would be able to do the same.
So, be prepared for the dealership to try some fun things to try you to get to have work performed that may well be unnecessary. In my opinion this "deal" is just a ruse to get you to come in on a regular basis in order for them to "find" other work you could have done there.

Last edited:
That is a great deal if you use all 10 oil change services. They are probably banking on most customers not using all 10 due to various reasons. It's probably 75,000-100,000 miles worth of oil changes by using the OLM. But even if you only use it 5 times you most likely broke even or even better.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back