Wix transmission filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to do a simple drain and fill on the Cavalier's transmission. It's been a bit whiny when starting cold so I figured replacing the fluid and filter would be a good place to start. I've already got a couple gallons of Maxlife and I've been looking at filters. O'reilly has Wix filters for $23 and that's pretty comparable to what I could find one for on Amazon or Rockauto. The question is, are the Wix tranny filters as good as their engine oil filters? My thought about the whining is that the atf is more viscous while cold and may be having a harder time passing through the filter, causing the pump to whine. The transmission is original so has a little over 160k on it. The previous owner was very good about maintenance from what I can tell, even though he didn't have any receipts, so I'd imagine the atf has been changed at least a couple times.
Shifts are crisp and smooth, no slipping or anything. Just to note I don't drive it while it's whining, I give it a minute or two to quiet down before I head off.

With transmission filters, I can't find a difference in quality. I've used Oreillys house brand, OEM, and WIX. They all looked good.

I'll just go with a cheap house brand then. Only going to have the car a couple years tops... just don't really want to have to put a new transmission in it and want to keep maintenance cheap

I have used Wix tranny filters in all the chevy trucks I've owned. They all fit and work perfect. The wix tranny filters were made in China too.

If your experiencing some whining in very cold temps I would stick with DEX 6, its a thinner visc. semi syn fluid that flows better in cold and is a quality blend.

The maxlife bottle says it's good for dex 6.. doesn't say it's dex 6 certified though.
The tranny is behaving well aside from the cold whine, not even that cold relatively speaking. Usually when temps are 45 or lower it'll whine for a minute or two after startup.
Worst case the tranny poops the bed and I'll drop in a lower mileage used one, but I'd rather not have to
grin.gif

All my GM trans gone the way of Dex 6 and couldn't be happier with cold weather operation.

where I definitely seen improvement was my plow truck.

I'm hoping a simple drain and fill with a new filter will help it out, at the very least it can't hurt anything. It never really gets too cold out here on the west coast though.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
I'm hoping a simple drain and fill with a new filter will help it out, at the very least it can't hurt anything. It never really gets too cold out here on the west coast though.

Right

I have a wix tranny filter in my Silverado now. It's a good filter and the price is right. I have used Dex/merc, maxlife std, and Dex 6. They all work fine in my truck

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
With transmission filters, I can't find a difference in quality. I've used Oreillys house brand, OEM, and WIX. They all looked good.

I would also bet they are made by the same company. I look at the pan gasket quality because like you said, the filters all look the same.

When the pan is dropped, I would put a magnet on the pan bottom if it is not already equipped.

I did a complete fluid change on my transmission the other day. I bought a WIX filter and was a bit surprised to see it was made in China. If I had known that I would have bought the house brand filter. I bet it came off the same assembly line anyway.

I wanted to put on a new Dorman pan with a drain plug so I can do annual drain and fills on the transmission. This time I did a full drain including the torque converter. My transmission takes 13.9 quarts. After the filter and pan replacement I put in 12 quarts of fluid which got it to the full mark. Tried to find Maxlife fluid but didn't find it at my usual places I go. Ended up doing a combo of Supertech and Castrol. Two WM didn't have enough for the complete job so I had to gets 4 quarts of Castrol to finish up.

As stated above: If it takes DexVI, use DexVI. If you use something else and your symptom (perceived symptom, whatever) returns just be ready to do it again.

If you use the DexVI in the first place you'll be "one step ahead" if the symptom returns. I assume its time to return is when cold weather returns.

That Dexron VI is good stuff. Especially good for the trannys that were originally spec'd for Dexron III, it's "overbuilt" for the job. At least that's my feeling about it. I just had such good results with it with my 04 Silverado and continue to have good results with it with my 13. Both had/have the 4L60E tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back