98' CR-V 235K mi. Replace coil springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I'm about to replace the struts on my daughters 98' CRV w/235mi. Bought Monroe Senatrac's along w/all new parts to do the job completely. Also, Moog upper/lower control arms and lower ball-joints. The reason I decided to go this route was b/c I just don't believe you can get the same quality w/an all in one/"complete" strut for $70 each. Also, $90 rebate and I've had great experience w/Monroe struts on my Previa van. My question: Should I change out the coil springs? The car is NOT sagging and was never over-loaded while we owned the car. I just can't see how 2 new Moog struts for $45 can equal OEM quality. (Honda OEM coil springs are $80 apiece.) My mechanic really prefers the all in one approach but I feel like this is the better way. You may say why spend $$$ on a car this old...but it goes great and was extremely well-maintained. This is a "runner" which I have no doubt has LOTS of miles left to run. THANKS for any and all replies. Bill

Bill,

With so many miles, and because you will have to disassemble the struts anyway, I'd probably be tempted to install new coil springs as well. That first generation CR-V didn't tend to sag in the rear as others have, but with material fatigue over so many miles, I'd feel better with new springs in it...especially since it won't cost any extra in labor.

Thanks for the reply! If I do decide to go for new coil springs, is one brand better than the others? Moog's run about $100 for the front/rears. Do they really have the same quality as the OEM coil spring? Thanks again...

If the springs look good with no significant rust, I'd probably leave them on. The original ones were matched to the equipment in the car and for ride height.

If you are changing out the struts, you may want to change out the strut mounts and bearings since they will be apart anyways.

I had a problem with aftermarket strut mounts and bearings as they made strange ringing noises over bumps and the mounts had shreds of rubber coming off after only a few thousand miles. I now have Honda OEM strut mounts and bearings with over 5,000 miles on them with no problems.

The aftermarket parts you'd get are probably the same stuff they'd put in the quick struts. Not to mention the easier install.

As long as you use name brand quick struts like Monroe, KYB, or Gabriel, you'll be fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sparky123
Thanks for the reply! If I do decide to go for new coil springs, is one brand better than the others? Moog's run about $100 for the front/rears. Do they really have the same quality as the OEM coil spring? Thanks again...

I replaced the rear springs in our CR-V with aftermarket Moog springs. $35 for the pair -- great price! The springs are different from the OEM springs: they have one additional coil. They were initially a little firmer than the old springs until they broke in a little bit, but after a month or so, I could no longer tell a difference in firmness. But even after break in and any settling, the Moog springs have restored the rear ride height. They seem to have the same type of corrosion protection that the OEM springs had.

The OEM rear springs were sagging (common to my generation CR-V). I'm very pleased with the Moog springs.

quick strut springs have been said in 4x4 circles to sag in a year or so after installing. I'd go for moog rather than a spring contained in a package assy.

I personally wasn't impressed with the quality of the MOOG coils I put on the Jetta about two years ago. The original coils (12 years old when they came out), were less rusty than the Moogs are already. On the bright side, they carry a lifetime warranty on parts.

The rust does not necessarily mean diminished performance, but it expedites mechanical failure.

I think others (Bilstein) also have a "quick-strut" solution. Might want to check there, if you are after longevity.

The only complete "quick-strut" I could find for the CR-V was either brands like Sensen/FCS (around $70 ea.) and Gabriel's.(around $100 ea.) Monroe did not offer a quick-strut. After I posted this question, I went to the local Honda dealer for their opinion. The most experienced mechanic was asked and in his opinion, don't change out the coil springs. (I'm leaning this way as well.) I'll change out the front upper and lower control arms, ball joints and strut mounts and the other rubber components. I'll report back after all is done. Thanks for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back