Opinions on 3/4 ton Diesel trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I would rather have a DEF truck than an EGR truck.

DEF trucks all have EGR. Personally I would not mind a Ford 6.0 that I did the BulletProof thing on.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I would rather have a DEF truck than an EGR truck.

DEF trucks all have EGR. Personally I would not mind a Ford 6.0 that I did the BulletProof thing on.

Yea-but owners "bullet proof" them because they don't want to trade it for a $60,000.00 truck.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They all pump out tons and tons of suffocating diesel exhaust. I don't know how you guys can stand them.

You have got to be kidding. That would be true several years ago, but with the emissions stuff modern diesel have on them, the air is almost cleaner coming out of the tailpipe than it was going in the intake. Only the pickups where folks have deleted the emissions stuff, are over fueling them, etc does any of them smoke and put out "suffocating diesel exhaust". You see a modern diesel putting out black smoke, it is either in need of repair or has been modified by the owner.

My semi with a pre-emission equipped Detroit 60 motor hardly puts out any black smoke or even dirty up the exhaust pipes. Reason... I take care of it and drive it right. And that motor is on it's second life as a factory rebuilt motor.

But as for a diesel in a 3/4 ton, I couldn't justify doing it. I bought a 2015 2500HD with a 6.0L gasser. The 6.0L L96 motor has a stellar track record for durability and longevity. I mostly haul stuff in the back than doing any towing. The additional cost of the diesel, especially the maintenance issues related to the newer emissions stuff, made it a no brainer for me. The 6.0L did exceptionally well on the Ike Gauntlet pull test that was referenced earlier. Even smoking the 6.4L gasser Ram 3/4 ton that had 60 more HP and 50 lb more torque and an 8 speed instead of the GM 6 speed. That is more than I ever will put my pickup thru. I needed more than a 1/2 ton but I didn't need a diesel. And I live rural, and watching all the farmer coop elevator companies ditching their diesel equipped 3/4 tons for gas motor equipped ones spoke volumes to me. Those guys haul a lot, pull double and triple trailers of anhydrous ammonia and other stuff to and from farms and thru broken up crop land.

And my 2015 2500HD has gotten an average 14 mpg for all miles thus far. Has averaged 16 mpg on road trips. And so far, that has all been on E15 winter grade fuel. Should improve a little with summer fuel.

I'd highly recommend buying the gas engine unless you tow a lot all the time.

Modern diesels break all the time, and cost a fortune to maintain. That's not even counting the massive up charge they get when you buy them new, and the extra cost of diesel. Up here diesel runs about 30% more than RUG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WTJackalope
If one were to be in the market to buy a 3/4 ton Diesel truck what are good points & bad points of each manufacture. Chevy / Gmc 6.6 Duramax with Allison transmission.
Ford Superduty with 6.7 Powerstroke, or
Ram with 6.7 Cummins.

I know some have brand loyalty and that is OK. More interested in real world experiences.

None. Diesel power jumped the shark in 2008. Go gas.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I'd highly recommend buying the gas engine unless you tow a lot all the time.

Modern diesels break all the time, and cost a fortune to maintain. That's not even counting the massive up charge they get when you buy them new, and the extra cost of diesel. Up here diesel runs about 30% more than RUG.

+1

I actually know one person who in fact tows(construction tool trailers) but dumped the recent F250 in favor of an inexpensive(overloaded) gasser for more reliable service. They had similar bad luck with GM diesel prior in the last 7 years.

Diesels are very overpriced engines IMHO but the market bears it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back