Film paint protector

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used camper shell / topper for my truck, and, as I feared, the rubber seal on the glass door is eating paint on the tailgate. Dirt gets struck under the seal, and gets ground into the paint. I am thinking of getting some 3M film, 3" wide, and running that down the tailgate. Is there something else better?mOr is film good enough for a few years, then remove and reinstall?

The film is a good idea. Just make sure any bare metal is properly primed, painted, and cured before installing the film. There is always a slight possibility removing the film might damage the paint, so keep that in mind.

I like the film for this application. Our Acura MDX had the film on the front half of the hood when we bought it (my folks installed it for rock chip protection while pulling it behind their coach). I will say that it protected the paint well, but the film looked terrible after just a few years (mostly discoloration and scratches due to the soft surface). It does its job, but it certainly looks like the sacrificial product that it is. We had a body shop remove it promptly after purchase.

On top of the bed rails, and under a camper shell, it'll work great.

I had the whole front of my 06 covered with film. Did great for about 6 years, now it's cracking badly. Getting the bugs off it was a PITA also. But, it did do it's job and it ain't cheap.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I had the whole front of my 06 covered with film. Did great for about 6 years, now it's cracking badly. Getting the bugs off it was a PITA also. But, it did do it's job and it ain't cheap.

Sounds about right. The film is generally good for about 3-5 years.

Bug removal used to be extremely difficult as well, but coating the film with CQuartz UK or CQuartz Finest makes maintenance ridiculously easy. Just a garden hose will remove almost all of the bugs from PPF that is coated.

On my work place truck I ran electrical tape on the top of the tail gate to the area getting rubbed. It has been on for ten years and is still pliable and doing its job. Get the good 3M Super 88 stuff (8 mil thick). Cheap, easy, and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back