11 dodge diesels with the VM engine at dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Since the DPF is downstream seems strange that the DPF "cooked" a turbo. I would contend that the higher EGT's due to restriction made waste of the turbo and the coolant was taking care of it properly. All of these modern VG turbos related to the emissions stuff are coolant supplied to dissipate heat. As for probably the higher EGT's causing the turbo to grenade, I would probably suspect that the DPF was not burning off properly so that restriction wasn't being eliminated.

Either way, this ia all a mess. But always remember..... your government cares for you.

I didn't say the DPF cooked my turbo, I said the DPF regeneration process did it. The emissions system on the early 6.7L Cummins had pressure sensors upstream and downstream of the DPF to measure the restriction caused by the buildup of soot particles. When the engine computer decided it was time, which was approximately every 50 miles for me, it would begin the regeneration process. For a few minutes the engine would inject fuel into the combustion chamber during the exhaust stroke (which also caused fuel dilution of the oil). The extra rich exhaust would hit the diesel oxidation catalyst where it would burn, making the exhaust extra hot. The hot exhaust would then burn the soot out of the DPF. The problem was that the extra fuel made the exhaust hotter even at the manifold and turbo. During the regeneration process my EGT gauge showed a steady temp of 1,200-1,300 while cruising on the freeway. That is what killed the turbo at less than 30k miles. Without all the emissions nonsense now my EGTs rarely exceed 1,000 even at full throttle.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I hit a big pothole soon after the warranty ran out, causing all the emissions parts to fall off!

polls_Shame_award_1_2436_753161_answer_6_xlarge.jpeg

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I hit a big pothole soon after the warranty ran out, causing all the emissions parts to fall off!

polls_Shame_award_1_2436_753161_answer_6_xlarge.jpeg

On no, now I'm going to have nightmares about the nun from The Blues Brothers hitting me with her yardstick! Hee hee!

Its a Chrysler product, what did you expect??
smile.gif

I mean C'mon guys it isn't like Dodge has had a reliable vehicle in the last 20 years! The best thing they ever did was get the Cummins diesel but their POS transmissions ruined that package...

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
smile.gif

I mean C'mon guys it isn't like Dodge has had a reliable vehicle in the last 20 years! The best thing they ever did was get the Cummins diesel but their POS transmissions ruined that package...

The way reads around here, all sins were forgiven once Fiat took charge. While I'm sure those changes started before then, it seems "everyone" loves Dodge now. There does seem to be less complaints about them.

Now diesel powerplants are a different story. Everyone is suffering on that front it seems.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
smile.gif

Amen. Chrysler wouldn't know a quality product if it bit them in the butt. They have never built anything that would be considered high quality. You don't get bailed out TWICE because you build great things!

Sucks for those owners though. But the package in general is not that great. Really low payload, high fuel and maintenance costs, poor performance. The saving grace is somewhat better fuel economy.

I see a lot of parallels to the problems with gasoline engines in the late 70's into the 80's - all the emissions stuff added a lot of complexity and took time to work out. And it is certainly not just limited to this engine in the Ram.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
A lot of business's and municipalities around here are switching back to gas trucks. A lot of the companies seem to offer a gas option in medium duty trucks which were all diesel a couple years ago.

Diesel jumped ship, only worth putting up with if you tow OTR all the time. For running around town get gas, my town just did. 3 F750 dump trucks with V10's from Ford.

The F-750 is available only with the 6.7 Cummins. (Only the 650 offers gas power...and that limits you to hydraulic brakes.)

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I see a lot of parallels to the problems with gasoline engines in the late 70's into the 80's - all the emissions stuff added a lot of complexity and took time to work out. And it is certainly not just limited to this engine in the Ram.

^^ This! In the mean time I'll wait till they iron these problems out. People who run them hard most likely be OK. The way I'd use mine might cause problems. It's going to be another gas burner for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back