Castrol GTX Magnetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
So their UMA isn't part of Magnatec any more ??? ...sorry, my bad.

What do they use now in the modern lubes ?

Originally Posted By: supercity
Castrol has used "Magna" as a product family name for a long time, and it's still used today, e.g. Magna Slidway oils

For consumer products marketing is king and it would seem likely to me where the Magna-tec name came from. It's a pretty simple evolutionary twist of an old family name already in their arsenal.

There is nothing more than a coincidental link between the Magna range of industrial products and Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
So their UMA isn't part of Magnatec any more ??? ...sorry, my bad.

What do they use now in the modern lubes ?

It's all about "Intelligent Molecules" now; take a look: http://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/products/cars/engine-oils/castrol-magnatec.html

The essence of it is the same though - something specifically added to the oil to do the clinging job to improve protection. The Seq IVA cam wear test results are very compelling...

1425371769899.png

Thanks for the clarification...

So they moved the UMA to non English speaking countries
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/4CE6BF37D24D6DF980257D26004D3EAA/$File/BPXE-9MRNBW.pdf (PDS is less than a year old)

and replaced them with "intelligent molecules", that aren't the esters that they mentioned in the Magnatec SP doco I linked.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I am thinking MOST ILSAC resource conserving oils have some FA, and or other engineered ester added to meet efficiency requirements and that would " attract" to metal surfaces. Also many earth metal AW compound could be polar that would "attract" to surfaces so I don't know if this is anything exclusive to Castrol other than their latest marketing pitch since they did the sludge thing a few years ago.

After 5 pages we are at my conclusion on page 1.

Thanks for the big ignore.
smile.gif

Last edited:
The link weasley provided shows Magnatec 10W40. Is that weight available here in the US (I see he's from the UK)?

Duh.. I said that. Its not about being magnetic. And in case you haven't realized or aware... The outer most electron field is what determines if the element is a cation or anion. I suggest that you read what I said in its totality. So no its not a fail on that part. It is a failure on your part to read everything what I stated.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The link weasley provided shows Magnatec 10W40. Is that weight available here in the US (I see he's from the UK)?

I wouldn't think so, but don't know for sure.

The 10W40 is garden variety in Oz...the (obsolete) 5W40 I linked to is currently in my Caprice...there's a 15W40 fleet oil, 5W40 C3 diesel oil, 5W30 fuel saver (lst OCI in the Caprice), 10W30 "stop start"...in Oz at least.

edit...then there's the bulk only professions series.

"It is about electron mobility within a molecule".. What you clearly stated. And I understand this and agree 100%. But seriously isnt this determined by the outer most electron field? If an element is short 1 electron from in its outer field than it would combine with an element with an extra electron in its outer most field? Am I thinking of this in the right fashion ? Because that is what I was thinking in regard to this. Because is is about of elements seeking neutrality in regards to their outer electron field as it relates to fulfilling their outer field and also to balance the positive protons in their nucleus ? Is that right too ? Why do elements interact differently in oil than an aqueous circumstance? Interesting to me. Temperature increase inducing changes makes sense too. And carbon being "relaxed" makes sense too. What you said in your response as far as it was stated made a lot of sense. And again, I stated over 5 times this product did NOT function on the basis of being magneticism. If I am correct in what you stated .. It is based upon electron mobility ? Would make perfect sense to me if that was the rationale behind the claims of castrol.

Last edited:
The Magnatec 10w40 is supposedly available in the US, it's listed anyway, but I haven't seen it in the wild, 5w20 and 5w30 seems to be pretty available.

I remember that. The only place that had it in my area was pepboys I was going to pick some up then but it disappeared into thin air. Why did it bomb?

The 10w40 is definitely on the way out. Even Walmart with their hordes of old school oil shoppers has trimmed their offerings of 10w40 the last couple of years (for example QS Defy 10w40 RIP).

Don't see Magnatec 10w40 making it anywhere. AAP is running it on sale I will have to see if they even offer it.

IIRC the 10w40 Magnatec isn't even a blend, who'd pay 20 some bucks a jug for that anyway?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The 10w40 is definitely on the way out. Even Walmart with their hordes of old school oil shoppers has trimmed their offerings of 10w40 the last couple of years (for example QS Defy 10w40 RIP).

Don't see Magnatec 10w40 making it anywhere. AAP is running it on sale I will have to see if they even offer it.

IIRC the 10w40 Magnatec isn't even a blend, who'd pay 20 some bucks a jug for that anyway?

In Australia Mag 10w40 is a syn blend that properly meets ACEA A3/B4 making it a good low cost light duty gas and diesel oil, and we have a lot of light duty diesels.

I would like to try this oil but I just cant see it at the current price point. Charging nearly as much as QSUD for a blend in 5w30 just doesn't make sense to me, now if I had a vehicle that used 5w20 which is full group 3 synthetic then yes, most definitely would be one of the best bargains out there. So price has me wincing a bit on trying it for now. If they decided to drop their price to the GTX HM synthetic blend for their blended Magnetec, then I will give it a whirl.

Yeah I don't get this overpriced for a blend and a bargain for a full syn marketing strategy. Is it that the majority of oil buyers don't even pay attention???

Yeah I don't get this overpriced for a blend and a bargain for a full syn marketing strategy. Is it that the majority of oil buyers don't even pay attention???

Synthetic blend and full synthetic is mostly just marketing also. Castrol is dropping that old tiered system for a different one.

Last edited:

I would say they are trying to sell what they say their oil does over what the oil is. It will wear off at some point and they will have to drop the price on the blend if they want to compete. No way would I pay basically was QSUD cost for it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back