Cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
7EF209EE-4756-47B9-B53F-3357CC74A066_zps9zpxpm8q.png

Yes I know, we all worry too much about stuff. But I'm headed for Florida in June and those hot asphalt roads at 70mph make me weary of these cracks.

No worry or replace?

How old are the tires? If you are worried change the tires out the worry sometimes isn't worth the money a new set of tires brings.

They're Goodyear Assurance. I'm not a fan of GY at all but these were on it when I bought it. They've still got good tread left and they did well this winter (or because the Taurus is over 4,000 pounds). Not sure why they're cracking so bad.

I have the Goodyear Assurance tires and mine have 40,000 miles on them and they look WAY better than the picture. No cracks at all. In great shape so far. Yeah I agree with replacing these tires and very soon. That is really cruddy. All 4 of mine were $650 on sale thank goodness. Would have been $920 not on sale. So I hope at the bare minimum you at least got those tires on some kind sale.

Originally Posted By: Throt
They're Goodyear Assurance.

That's good info. I was thinking about buying some but will keep the 10+ year old BFGs that are cracking less than that.

Did they have tire dressing on them when you purchased the car?
I have seen tires crack like that after tire dressing was sprayed on them and they were all Good Year as well.

Probably superficial, but likely to get worse fairly rapidly.

As I understand it, the rubber chains under tension at the base of the crack get "snipped" by ozone attack, causing rapid crack propagation.

I tried vegetable oil as a protectant for 8 -year old tyres that looked fairly bad (though not as bad as that) before I treated them, maybe 3 years ago. Now they look better, but are probably due for another application.

That's too risky to suggest, but perhaps a less "homemade" treatment, like, IIRC, "Aerospace 303" might be worth applying, if you can't get a refund or exchange?

What does the rest of the sidewall look like? That photo is of the lower sidewall, and it is not uncommon for small cracks to appear there fairly early. Those aren't very deep, and may be the result of oxidation of the surface.

It's worth taking them to a corporate Goodyear store to see if they'll warranty them. It's pretty unusual for a tire to be cracking at that age.

I had Goodyear Eagle LS's (Dealer installed by previous owner) on the Jetta that cracked a year after I bought it. Estimated from service records less than 25K and 3yrs on the tires. They were loosing wet traction anyways so I replaced them. If it were me replacements would be in order before the trip.

I was wrong about the manufacture date, 3 in September of 2012 and 1 in February of 2013. Even with that though, the tires are not old.

The tires were not dressed when I purchased it. This car had, though, sat on a car lot from June until September 2nd when I purchased it. So basically the hottest months of the year.

Here are a few more pics:

4C8053D8-A7F9-435E-BE7C-3054718A5B4D_zpsvxxvmisp.jpg

713F4192-9340-4B3A-96AC-9B53EEA0115E_zpsshw1odyt.png

8127E5C1-1B5A-429E-8A45-1548F33CB37D_zpsbso4p3d8.png

Last edited:
I had some goodyear (Sears) "weather handler fuel max" that looked like that. Manufactured in late 2010 but hardly any tread wear. One morning I had a flat. I figured I picked up a nail so I inflated it and took a look. Couldn't visually find anything so I put it off. Next morning same tire flat but another tire was kind of low. Drove another vehicle to work, came home to 2 dead flat tires. Pulled the wheel and misted it with soapy water. Nothing in the tread so I checked the valve stem. I faintly heard a hiss when I ran my hand across the sidewall. Found it. Sprayed the sidewall down, air bubbles seeping from behind the goodyear lettering. Both tires. Oddly, the other two tires were identical tires but manufactured in early 2010. I doubt they ever saw any tire dressing.
I'm loving the cooper CS5's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back