Castrol Edge/Dexos 1 anamolie

Status
Not open for further replies.
After pouring over numerous PDS's, it seems that Castrol Edge 5w30 is the only Dexos 1 oil that mimics what is provided by other oil companies' robust European formulas. I think in this regard alone it might make it worth checking out. So basically, it is a European car formula that has a Dexos 1 certification. My investigation of Edge started with this [censored] fold out ad in the front of Car and Driver. I guess they reeled me in on that one.

Last edited:
Castrol's PDS is incomplete and doesn't give the oils actual performance for key fields like HTHS and CCSV. They list the min or max spec, not very useful.

I'm assuming you've seen this?

Seems pretty normal to me.

I bet the add. pack is the same as this one in the 5w-30.

Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong formulation anyway. The American Dexos 1 5w30 formulation indeed doesn't seem to be anything special. However, for whatever reason (I don't know if it is the UPF48 filter or the oil) after this oil change the typical GM engine tick is gone. This is from going from Mobil 1 5w30 with ACDelco PF48 old style (non-ecore) filter to Castrol Edge 5w30 ACDelco UPF48 filter. In my old truck I used Syntec one time and my colleague noticed that the engine ran smoother. How could this be from an oil with numbers that aren't as "good"?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about Edge dexos1 5w-30 in the least. After all, it is A1/B1 A5/B5, in conjunction to dexos1 and SN/GF-5. There's not a lot more one could ask for in a resource conserving 5w-30. Realistically, it's as good as it gets for such a product, and arguably massive overkill for any ordinary SN/GF-5 application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back