Its flooding down in Texas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JustinH
I live a little north of Austin.

Many people at my office are from all over California.

All the new restaurants going up are chains that started in California.

Austin just passed its first hands free cellphone law, similar to California.

People in my neighborhood are selling their properties in California, and buying ones out here in Texas for CASH.

Its an interesting time to be down here. I drove down a street near my work in a suburb of Austin, and counted 7 construction projects going on at once for Condos, Medical Offices, Restaurants, you name it.

On one street!

The Californians are already here.

I am from New York, and there are a ton of "Yankees" down here as well.

Nobody in Texas is from Texas anymore.

George W Bush is from Connecticut. Ted Cruz is Canadian. Ted Nugent is from Michigan. ...even Walker, Texas Ranger himself Chuck Norris is from Oklahoma.

For the first time in over a hundred years, outmigration from California is exceeding the number of new California residents.

Then we have the whole Louisiana/post Katrina resettlement. LOTS of Saints and LSU stickers on cars here in Cowboy/Longhorn land

Back in the late '70s- early '80s it was Ohio and Michigan transplants. Detroit and Dallas flipped population numbers. Detroit fell below a million and Dallas skyrocketed above a million people. You can't go to a Dallas-Ft Worth sports bar on a Saturday and not see someone in Scarlet and Grey or Blue and Maize to this day.

I didn't even grow up here. I was born here but I grew up in Georgia.

I am surprised that the In-N-Outs haven't been killed by Whataburger yet. The Carl's Jrs are starting to close.

I was really sad to see Krystal's fail here. That was the one restaurant from my childhood that was exactly like I remembered it.

When we were trying to buy a house 10 years ago, Californians outbid us on several houses. Sometimes to ridiculous amounts. We would bid $110,000 on a home that we knew was no better than a $100,000 house and some Californian would bid $150,000. We ran into the former owner at the grocery store and talked about it. Don't blame him for grabbing the big sale.

We paid too much for our home just to get in and close before someone threw another way over bid at it.

Then the housing bubble burst in '07 and we ate a big loss in estimated property value. Hey, lower property taxes! That's one benefit I guess.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I have lots of family in Plano, TX

Nice place but I would not want to live in TX.

What, You don't like looking at dirt and tumbleweeds?

Plano is full of Mc-Mansions. 3000 sq.ft. homes as far as the eye can see.

Zero tumbleweeds. Go 500 miles S-SW to see any of that.

I've been here since 1976. Parents moved us here from New Jersey. Lots of changes since then. Frisco was barely a city and Plano seemed far away. My town had 18,000 residents and now has over 110,000. But, all the neghboring towns merged with it and it's wall to wall suburban sprawl. Yes, tons of McMansions. Of course, since I started out here I don't have that kind of money. Don't need those huge summer electric bills, anyway.

It's not a bad place, just a place. It's all the people who are messing it up. Have to live where the jobs are now, but when I retire maybe I can put a little distance between me and the rat race.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
JustinH said:
People in my neighborhood are selling their properties in California, and buying ones out here in Texas for CASH. /quote]
When we were trying to buy a house 10 years ago, Californians outbid us on several houses. Sometimes to ridiculous amounts. We would bid $110,000 on a home that we knew was no better than a $100,000 house and some Californian would bid $150,000. We ran into the former owner at the grocery store and talked about it. Don't blame him for grabbing the big sale.

A 1200 sq-ft 2 bedroom condo in So Cal can be as high as $400-500k, that why they think any single detach house with some land is worth more than $200-300k.

$150,000 for a house is too cheap for them and paying CASH for $200-300k(or less) for a house is very much normal practice of Californian, after they sold their houses in CA and pocket $500-600k or more. Since Californian didn't bother to learn local custom such as paying several hundreds thousands dollars for anything is not the way local people practice. They should put down 70-80% and take a small loan(but pay off within a month or two), so that the escrow officer will not raise any eyebrow.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Plano is full of Mc-Mansions. 3000 sq.ft. homes as far as the eye can see.

Zero tumbleweeds. Go 500 miles S-SW to see any of that.

Mc-Mansions in So Cal are house more than 6,000-7,000 sq-ft, specially newer houses in Newport Beach, Newport Coast or some area of Irvine such as Shady Canyon. All the houses in Shady Canyon are custom built, some with more than 10,000 sq-ft and are more than $3-4 mils for most with few as high as $8-9 mils or more. Even if you pay cash for the house there, monthly cost of property tax and association due alone can be more than $10,000.

That why those people paying cash for any house in almost any where but New York city(Manhattan area).

I am from New York, and there are a ton of "Yankees" down here as well.

I wonder why that is?

1) Texas doesn't tax its people to death
2) The vehicles don't rust out
3) The weather is nicer
4) Texas does not infringe upon the US Bill of Rights of the Citizens
5) There is an economy in Texas unlike NY

Want me to go on?

Spent a winter at Fort Sam. Only a few days where it got below 32, at night. I got there in November and they had just closed the swimming pools for the winter.

Then we have the whole Louisiana/post Katrina resettlement.

That completely ruined Houston and turned most of it into a huge ghetto.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Then we have the whole Louisiana/post Katrina resettlement.

That completely ruined Houston and turned most of it into a huge ghetto.

Has there been a noticeable increase in crime in Houston area after Katrina ?

Certainly yes, at first. Lots of fights and assaults in schools and inner city areas about "turf". The effect has diminished as some have moved back to NOLA, and some blended in.

Of course its almost impossible to quantify now. Any Katrina refugee now has Houston residency, so when a crime is committed, there is no direct link to Katrina origination.

Absolutely! Everyone I knew who lived there sold their houses and moved to the furthest possible suburbs.

not too much rain in central Texas.

We could still use a ton of it over the lakes to refill our drinking supply.

Ironically, areas directly around me are out of "drought" conditions, but the lake is still half empty.

We are still on restrictions, and I am doing what I can to conserve.

the power of prayer!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Absolutely! Everyone I knew who lived there sold their houses and moved to the furthest possible suburbs.

No surprise there. White Flight?
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back