Generator Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Powermate generator that I can't get started

Clean gas... Good spark plug... Clean air filter

414cc LTC engine

Model #: 12125H0609326A. (Stamped on engine)

Removed & cleaned the carb. Bowl has gas in it when removed and the float moves freely. Cleaned/Sparyed every little port I could find

Checked and cleaned all fuel lines with carb cleaner along with a flush of fuel filter and reverse blew carb cleaner back into the tank to make sure free of debris. Finally, blew carb cleaner thru fuel line from tank to carb and worked the fuel cut off back and forth at the same time

If I shake the unit and slosh the gas around, I can get it to turn over but it then quickly sputters out.

Until has only 29 hours on it since Sandy and I try to turn it over a couple times a year. Last fall, started and ran like a champ.

Now? Darned near threw my back out yanking on that GD pull cord

Any thoughts as to what could be the problem?

Thank you

Seems like a carb or fuel problem. It seems by your description there is spark at least momentarily. Is there enough oil?

Do you feel any compression when you try to start? If not, you may have a stuck open intake or exhaust valve. Check to see if there is spark at the spark plug. remove plug and ground the base on the engine and pull the starter rope. You should get a nice bluish, yellow spark across the plug gap. If not, you may have a shorted shut off lever or wire shorted. ed

Put some Techron or Seafoam in the gas tank. And since it runs if you shake it... do that a few times to get the cleaner in the system to clean it out.GL

Originally Posted By: CT8
Seems like a carb or fuel problem. It seems by your description there is spark at least momentarily. Is there enough oil?

Excellent point. Does your generator have a low oil shut off. If so try disconnecting it and see if it starts, after you check the oil level. If you have good spark then maybe the tiny passages in the carb are clogged and your cleaning did not clear them.

Whimsey

Thanks...

Yes, oil is full

I agree. Something with fuel delivery

Always store it with an empty gas tank. Run it, shut off fuel valve and let is stall out. Siphon the tank dry and drain the blow on carb

Frustrating

Squirt in some starter fluid as a test, does it run for a few seconds? If yes its probably a fuel problem, if not probably spark.

Maybe disconnect the low oil sensor, it could be broken and is not allowing any spark.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Maybe disconnect the low oil sensor, it could be broken and is not allowing any spark.

+1 again. This is cheap to do before you try anything else. I checked and your Powermate generator does have a low oil shut off. It won't be the first time that this has failed. Good luck.

Whimsey

There's no low-oil sensor on this unit... I'll try it again with starter fluid and then reclean the carb if that proves to be the culprit

If not, I guess test for spark

Either way, running MMO in this going forward or use up the Seafoam I have lying around

Thanks all... Will post results

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whimsey

+1 again. This is cheap to do before you try anything else. I checked and your Powermate generator does have a low oil shut off. It won't be the first time that this has failed. Good luck.

Whimsey

Thanks Whimsey... I checked the manual but found nothing. Where did you find that? What do I look for on the unit?

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Whimsey

I'll be darned... There IS a low-oil cut off.

Disconnected and it started right up. . WHEW!!!

Now... Are these easily replaced?

Thank you very much

A lot of go-karters cut the wire to the shut off, as sloshing around kills the spark.

For a generator just sitting there unmanned, it could save your bacon and even avert a fire from the engine overheating/ seizing/ etc.

Originally Posted By: Finz
There's no low-oil sensor on this unit... I'll try it again with starter fluid and then reclean the carb if that proves to be the culprit

If not, I guess test for spark

Either way, running MMO in this going forward or use up the Seafoam I have lying around

Thanks all... Will post results

It is never easy !!!

I would avoid the MMO, its not really for what you want.

Hunt around for E0 fuel (at gas stations) and some blue marine Stabil (Walmart has it, either in automotive or marine).

You should be testing it with a load every 6 months. Wait too long and it can loose the excite.

If you cannot find E0 at a gas station, then just for testing it every 6 months, either buy the E0 by the QT at Homedepot or some 50/1 premix. Use a cup of it, to start test, then no real need to run it dry or drain fuel bowl.

i don't know that engine but if you have a screw on the bottom of the fuel bowl holding it on unscrew it and notice there is a small hole.. Clean that hole out if it is clogged... That is the bread and butter of the small engine repair business... That will be $80.00 please...lol

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i don't know that engine but if you have a screw on the bottom of the fuel bowl holding it on unscrew it and notice there is a small hole.. Clean that hole out if it is clogged... That is the bread and butter of the small engine repair business... That will be $80.00 please...lol

And who said doctors don't make house calls anymore...? lol

Actually, that's the first thing I did... Then removed and gave the carb a good once-over

Turns out this unit does have a low oil sensor that is or was malfunctioning as others suggested (thank you for that). Disconnected the sensor and it started right up.

For tomorrow's show, going to reconfirm there's enough oil in the generator, start with sensor disconnected and warm up then change the oil.

Reconnect the sensor then see if is was simply fluke or I need to replace the unit

Thanks again for all the help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back