Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

The OEM tires (Hankooks below) have about 25K on them and are showing substantial wear. I am looking at new tires and wondered if any of you have any experience with these Bridgestones. The UTQG rating is nearly double the OEMs (I understand that is not the be-all, end-all to tire rating).

Please give me your thoughts. TIA!

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season
Size: 255/50R20
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 109V
Load Range: XL
UTQG: 800 AA

Hankook Optimo H426 Grand Touring All-Season
Size: 255/50R20
4 Groove
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 104H
UTQG: 440 AA

Never seen those particular tires, but I've never really heard of a bad Bridgestone tire, unlike many other brands. Odds are it's good, although being all season it's not going to have the best snow or dry hot road grip.

After the Michelin OEM tire (horrible, 31k or so and just about bald) I went to the Dueler on the 20" rims for the Armada in my sig. After about 5ok miles the tire was excellent. Rotated every oil change (7500-9k) and lasted very well. Low noise on highway, good in rain and snow.....just plain GOOD.

Instead of saying all that, let me just say the 3rd set of tires on the Armada was also a set of the Dueler's.

The Alenza Plus is just an OK tire according to the latest CR testing.

If you need tires now, the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus would be a much choice. I put a set of these on my buddy's wife's FX35 and they have been great. Really quiet and decent handling. Wet could be a bit better though.

If you can wait, the Michelin Premier LTX will be available very soon. If they perform anything like the passenger car version, these should be a winner.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
If you need tires now, the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus would be a much choice. I put a set of these on my buddy's wife's FX35 and they have been great. Really quiet and decent handling. Wet could be a bit better though.
Pirelli would have to have improved four-fold over what I got out of them on my FX4. I need to dig into the Michelin world (if there is a tire in that size), my FX4 did 75K+ on a set. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Instead of saying all that, let me just say the 3rd set of tires on the Armada was also a set of the Dueler's.
The Armada is much heavier than my Explorer. What size tires does it use? 20" or?

My wife's '14 Platinum F150 has the Dueler H/L Alenzas on it from the factory and I think they are great! Smooth riding, quiet and vibration free at all speeds - what's not to love? Plus several coworkers have them and they are happy as well. If I get 50k out of them , I'm going back for more,

My car has a similar size and was thinking about the Firestone destination le2. I'm not usually a fan of Firestone but my brother in law had a set on his Escalade (first gen LE) that seemed to do well and the user ratings on Tirerack for them are great.

I have the regular Alenza on my 2014 Tundra 1794. They were OEM. Now have 40k on them. Wear is even. Rotations every 5000 to 6000 miles. Ride is smooth at highway speeds. Never been rebalanced. Dry traction is about a 9 out of 10. Wet traction is about 8 out of 10. Winter traction is about 6 or 7 out of 10. Noise gets worse as they wear.

I've had two sets of HLs through the years and both were excellent. never had any balance problems, handling was precise and predictable, treadwear was very good, and road noise was low. Very good go-to tire.

I also have a set of LE2s on my truck. same deal. very good tire unless you see wet stuff off pavement. Our MDX will get the LE2s next.

If previous experience holds true, the rubber will harden and become less rain-savvy before you run the tread to nothing.

I second the above positive experiences. I'm on my second set on my Chevy 1500 pickup. Great wear, low noise, good grip, good ride in all S. Texas conditions. As a point of reference - they are much, much better than the Michelin Cross Terrains I had before, which became almost unbearably rough as the tread hardened.

I put Alenza Plus tires on my 2007 Tahoe 4WD last September. They've done everything I could want them to do, including 8" of snow and a 2400 mile trip to Florida. This is a big, heavy truck and I'll be very surprised if they make the 80,000 mile warranty but, so far so good. I just had them rotated for the first time at 6,000 and they didn't need rebalancing, a good sign in my book. I chose them over LE2s just because I wanted to get their latest and greatest tech. I run 10% more psi than spec and they've held pressure since installed. Good tires so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back