Puro Synthetic failed ADBV....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use a wix if you can get a good deal forget purolater. Fram ultra seems like a good filter also maybe for 2 oci's Although i am not convinced that the fram ultra is a great flowing filter they say it flows well..

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Man, there's a lot of undeserved hate directed at OP just for posting his observations of some oil filters on an oil filter forum.

Doesn't matter to me if he had a camera with him or not. I'm able to read what he wrote and I don't need pictures to understand his story. Seriously, do folks think OP is lying just because there isn't a picture?

Some of the replies in this thread reinforce my belief that the quality of this forum ain't what it used to be.

+1

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Fram ultra seems like a good filter also maybe for 2 oci's..

I see this statement quite a bit, using a filter for 2 oci's, but I've never seen a bit of proof to back it up. I hear claims that people have done so, and "everything is alright", whatever that means. I guess it means the engine didn't seize up, or all is well even if the oil filter was in bypass the last few thousand miles.

I'm quite skeptical of these claims since there are so many filter media variations. Unless OEM specification states to use the oil filter for 2 OCIs, then it really doesn't make sense to do so to save a few dollars on an oil filter, or to make the oil change easier.

As much good information these forums provide, there's an equal amount of bad info, as always, buyer beware.

Use a wix if you can get a good deal forget purolater. Fram ultra seems like a good filter also maybe for 2 oci's Although i am not convinced that the fram ultra is a great flowing filter they say it flows well..

Oh my word....
33.gif

That's not proof of anything, unless he also did an UAO and it showed insolvables were low. Even then, that is also an indicator of the air filter performance. Vehicle age & mileage is another factor, an older vehicle with a lot of miles certainly will produce more crud than newer vehicles. Lots of variables to be considered. The safest route is to follow OEM specifications.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
The safest route is to follow OEM specifications.

Honda (and a few other manufacturers) say to change the oil filter every other OCI if the driving conditions are not severe. And then to top that off, if they say to go by the OLM, it could end up with 15K+ miles on the oil filter. And that is just on regular Honda OEM oil filters, not something like a full synthetic that is designed for long FCIs.

I would certainly think the engineers at Honda did all their homework before recommending such maintenance schedule.

Agreed, there is an example of a manufacturer that says two OCI's per filter if driven in conditions not too severe is fine.

On the other hand just because Honda says its ok, doesn't make it ok for vehicles other than Honda. Nor would it seem ok if you were using a Puraltor with cellulose media.

Nor would it seem ok if you were using a Puraltor with cellulose media.

I don't think the OEM Honda filters are anything more special above a cellulose media Purolator. Maybe they are a synthetic/cellulose blend ... not sure. I know they are not full synthetic.

The OEM Honda filters probably aren't as efficient as a Purolator, and that's probably one reason they can go longer OCIs also before loading up too much with debris.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
As others have said, without photos this is all here say.

If it did in fact happen, that kind of assembly error could happen in any filter.

The synthetic is an outstanding filter, but some here will use this to continue to bash Purolator as they have been for the past year or so.

It's not hearsay. If he had a picture someone would say it was faked. I don't call people liar so easily, sounds real to me.

That's not proof of anything, unless he also did an UAO and it showed insolvables were low. Even then, that is also an indicator of the air filter performance. Vehicle age & mileage is another factor, an older vehicle with a lot of miles certainly will produce more crud than newer vehicles. Lots of variables to be considered. The safest route is to follow OEM specifications.
Well, it is proof the filter can do what FRAM says it will for one thing. I also disagree the air filter is what contributes to higher insolubles. UOAs 11-20 have had the same Napa Gold air filter in the vehicle, yet the insolubles went up and down. The only difference was the type of oil and oil filter. How is that explained?

Please provide proof to your claim that Fram Ultra is good for 2 OCI's. If you have a UOA for that OCI please post a link to it here.

If there is no proof, your claim is nothing more than an opinion.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Oh my word....
33.gif

+ a lot
shocked2.gif
. Holy cr*p my truck will die before the NJ rust kills it because I use a Fram Ultra due to it's "flow"
crazy2.gif
. I have to say crazyoildude this has become an obsession with you. Have you proof of any major brand oil filter killing an engine because of "flow"? The engines you get in your shop for rebuild, are they there due to a "poor" flowing major brand oil filter or neglect and defect? My money is on the 2 later options. In the last 40 years of using cheap and expensive oil filters I've never lost an engine period.

Whimsey

Please provide proof to your claim that Fram Ultra is good for 2 OCI's. If you have a UOA for that OCI please post a link to it here.

If there is no proof, your claim is nothing more than an opinion.

The Ultra is rated for up to 15k miles, so if you did 2 x 7500 OCIs it should be fine if the driving conditions aren't severe and the engine is in decent shape. And there is probably some safety margin/head room in the "up to 15K" spec, as no manufacturer would list use specs right up to the ragged edge for obvious reasons.

All filters, no matter what they are rated for by the manufacturer, need to be used in the context of the engine condition and driving conditions.

If you go look in the UOA forum, I'm sure there are some cases reported where filters were used for 2x OCIs. I would think that UOA would be more heavily dependent on the oil used and the OCI rather than the filter and FCI.

Agreed, there is an example of a manufacturer that says two OCI's per filter if driven in conditions not too severe is fine.

On the other hand just because Honda says its ok, doesn't make it ok for vehicles other than Honda. Nor would it seem ok if you were using a Puraltor with cellulose media.

Aftermarket filters to NEED OR MUST at least meet or surpass OEM specs

If OEM specs call for 50K oci, TEAROLATOR, FRAM, K&N OR MOBIL1 among others need to meet 50K oci filter otherwise they cannot manufacture it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie

If OEM specs call for 50K oci, TEAROLATOR, FRAM, K&N OR MOBIL1 among others need to meet 50K oci filter otherwise they cannot manufacture it

I said follow OEM specifications, not hearsay on an oil forum where many claims are not based on fact. For example Puralator Pure 1 oil filters are good for two OCI's, i read that for a long time here. I also would not assume any aftermarket filter meets or exceeds OEM specification. Puralator is another example of an after market manufacturer that is likely cutting corners on material and/or quality control, hence the numerous issues, and company denials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back