Royal purple 75W90? my diff fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say no. There was a gear oil comparison done several years ago and I remember RP didn't do so well in some of the testing. IIRC, it sheared a lot but I don't know if its any better today. I would order Amsoil Severe Gear if i wanted to spent extra $$$ but I've been using Mobil 1 gear oil for a long time.

it should work fine. I generally use synpower 75w90 in my diffs, because of price and the specs it meets.

nothing wrong with RP except the price here in the U.S. Here Synpower is $9.99 a qt and RP is $20.99 a qt for 75w90. for that reason alone i use the Valvoline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
it should work fine. I generally use synpower 75w90 in my diffs, because of price and the specs it meets.

nothing wrong with RP except the price here in the U.S. Here Synpower is $9.99 a qt and RP is $20.99 a qt for 75w90. for that reason alone i use the Valvoline.

Thanks. Does the synpower have the additive for the G80 in it?

Originally Posted By: WillB

The G80 is a locking differential and not a clutch limited slip like what is found in a ford Diff. The G80 does not need LS additive. Synpower does have LS additive in it, but the G80 itself doesn't require it.

I have the same diff as you in my 08 silverado. The synpower is very quiet and smooth in the diff. Most OTC 75w90's will have some additive in them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WillB

Thanks. The syntetics are all priced similar up here, $23-$25, so I may try RP out. Cant hurt, right?

The G80 is a locking differential and not a clutch limited slip like what is found in a ford Diff. The G80 does not need LS additive. Synpower does have LS additive in it, but the G80 itself doesn't require it.

I have the same diff as you in my 08 silverado. The synpower is very quiet and smooth in the diff. Most OTC 75w90's will have some additive in them.

Awhile back there was some testing and while not definitive... RP and lucas were near the bottom.

Amsoil Redline and M1 all were near the top.

I wouldnt waste the money on RP. Unless you are planning crazy long change interval or need it for living in the arctic you can get by with a less expensive fluid. In Sask I went with Coop's synthetic, which I believe is based off of PetroCan's fluids. It carry's some great specs and cost me 9$ a liter with tax. Check a farm store who carries bulk or try PetroCan. I could not justify paying 30$ a liter for Mobil or 24$ and up for everything else.

My diff has not blown up yet.........

I would like to try RP too, just to do it. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on their products. Is it worth the money? Doesn't matter what we say as it may be worth it to you.

If you check on gmpowertrain.com you can find the fluids that do not have the ls additive. They are the ones prefixed simply GO, the ls ones are,logically,prefixed GOLS. If you don't need the ls fluid then it is better not to use it if possible. There are downsides to ls additives such as oxidation for instance but if the application calls for ls you just have to put up with the compromise.

Used it and noticed more wear on my magnet. Factory fluid and Mobil 1 had way less. You would get your moneys worth going with everyones suggestion for Valvoline, mobil1, amsoil, or redline. I'm using Amsoil SVG 75w90 in the rear diff and transfer case. I haven't accumulated enough miles on it yet, but I believe it will consistently perform as mentioned in the history of reviews on here.

I don't see RP 75w90 having much of an advantage over other 75w90 synthetics.

However, if you are comparing it to conventional oil, RP is better.

I have RP in my car, and I used it in my mom's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but only because I got a very low price on the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back