2007 Cadillac STS AWD shifting issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's car, a 2007 Cadillac STS AWD (5L40-E, 5 speed trans) has 185,000 miles on it and has started shifting hard/shuddering a bit between 3rd and 4th gear.

I was thinking of putting in some SeaFoam Trans Tune running it for awhile then putting in some fresh Dex 6 in but here is the problem. The car has no dipstick and I can't even find where to fill it let alone drain it.

Any ideas what is wrong and what I should do with this thing?

There is a fill plug on the side it takes an inside torx. Don't wast your time with the seafoam stuff, drop the pan and change the filter.
Put back in what you took out then pull the return line. Let the transmission pump about 4 qts out then put 4 qts in.

Repeat a couple of times until the fluid coming out is the same color as what going in.
On the last fill add a bottle of lubeguard red to the mix.
drive the car until tranny temp is about 160f then check the fluid. The car must be level to do this, either on 4 jack stands or a lift.

Amsoil ATF light would be my choice of fluid for this unit.
Do it yourself or have someone competent do it for you not Joe's garage. If you still have troubles take it to a good tranny shop.

I don't have a lift or 4 safe jackstands so I took it to a reputable transmission shop for them to look at it. Should have word on it soon.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I don't have a lift or 4 safe jackstands so I took it to a reputable transmission shop for them to look at it. Should have word on it soon.

Hopefully its nothing serious, these units are not really known to be troublesome.

Just got a call from the shop and the lady at the desk estimated $2,900 U.S. dollars. Tranny rebuild. Ouch, I'm going to ask them if they can patch it up to run 6 weeks or so while I save enough money/sell stuff for this repair.

I think a second opinion might be a good idea. Price doesn't seem too bad though, my parents spend $4k on a rebuilt unit when the 5 speed auto in their Maxima went out at 75k.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd get a second opinion, most shops around here that do transmissions are very shady.

+1 The price isn't bad at all if it really needs it, a rebuilt unit is 2K alone with shipping, fluid and install extra.

I do know fluid level on these is critical. I wonder what the scan tool data is on this unit.
Blown clutches will usually show up in the pan as debris and can partially clog the filter.
I see a lot of supposedly in need of full rebuild units with very simple problems.
Demarpaint had his transmission to 3 different shops all said it needs a rebuild, it was a quick and very easy repair that has lasted 40K and still working fine.

Transmission repair is one of the biggest rackets there is in this business.

You can buy and fit a manual for a whole lot less than you'll pay to gt your hateful slushbox reconditioned.

Do you want to enjoy driving?

is that a realistic option? I bet you need to replace a whole lot of parts to retrofit a manual transmission there, including lot of body work and new computers and wiring harness and who knows what else.

Originally Posted By: Olas
You can buy and fit a manual for a whole lot less than you'll pay to gt your hateful slushbox reconditioned.

Do you want to enjoy driving?

No you can't, he's not driving an '82 VW.

Update. The trans shop felt a bit sorry for me and did a pan drop, filter replacement and flush to see if it would "tide me over" for a while. And also stated that if it didn't work that they would absorb that cost into the rebuild if it didn't work. I was able to watch them actually do the work. Just brought it home and it's still doing the same thing so it looks like I will be doing a rebuild in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back