Almost Bought A New Bike Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I would have, but dealer fees and trade-in were crazy stupid. I test rode a leftover 2014 Dyna Wide Glide (they have ABS brakes, which I wanted). It was a beautiful bike. Metallic grey with blue flames. I had a maximum figure in my head which I would pay, and they completely blew it away. I couldn't believe they tack on 1200 bucks for prep, processing, freight, etc. on top of the price of the bike. The last time I bought a new Harley, they didn't add on any of that. I guess times change.

Originally Posted By: Jolly_Rogers
Bet the salesman/sales manager calls you within 24 hours...
Joe
Is it not funny how that happens.

Joe

...with an another unacceptable offer. Hold to your $ amount, and maybe even tell them what it is.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Well, I would have, but dealer fees and trade-in were crazy stupid. I test rode a leftover 2014 Dyna Wide Glide (they have ABS brakes, which I wanted). It was a beautiful bike. Metallic grey with blue flames. I had a maximum figure in my head which I would pay, and they completely blew it away. I couldn't believe they tack on 1200 bucks for prep, processing, freight, etc. on top of the price of the bike. The last time I bought a new Harley, they didn't add on any of that. I guess times change.

Did you make an offer? Go ahead, I bet they will take it. Just ignore those PDI fees

In 2009, I stopped at a Suzuki dealership and saw 2007 Bandit models in stock. I asked what kind of discounts were available, and the salesman told me that Suzuki had a ~$500 rebate. That's it. They wouldn't budge from MSRP. So, I went on my merry way.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Did you make an offer? Go ahead, I bet they will take it. Just ignore those PDI fees
Howleys are no longer in short supply. Don't pay as though they were. Is there another stealer in town ...stop by there, take their product for a test drive and be sure to stop at the Howley store so they can see you on it. The shock might cause a change of heart. Worked for me at a SAAB store, in a borrowed BMW.

Joe

Agree, stick to your price. When shopping for a new car and making cash OTD offers i had several dealers say no way. after about the 6th dealer i bought the exact one i wanted for the price i wanted and they shipped it too me.

About a month later i got 4 calls in one week from the other dealers saying they would take my offer, but it was too late i already bought what i wanted a month earlier at my price.

long story short, if that is the bike you want hold out and stick to your $ after a month or so they will get sick of it sitting on the floor if they can call you up and sell it. That is assuming your offer is reasonable. You have the upper hand as new motorcycle sales are low overall and many dealers have leftover 13's and 14's that you can really haggle down.

A honda dealer near me has a red, white, and blue 2012 CBR1000RR brand new that has been there fro over 2 1/2 years now. i've been tempted to go offer them about 20-25% off of MSRP and see what i can do. The problem is i might kill myself on that bike.

Agree with the others, depends on the dealer and as well as if they need to sell the bike.
It does sound nice! ABS, yes, that was a factor in my decision too. Maybe better said, I wouldnt have upgraded to a bike without it.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcd/4939100379.html Craigslist link The whole reason I was considering the bike was for the ABS. If it only saves your a.. once, then it's worth it. I made them the reasonable offer and was going to pay their asking price for the Wide Glide ($15029). I wouldn't take under 7K for my bike (they offered 6K), which I though was reasonable, since they had similar bikes in stock and their asking price was around 9K. I saw the same bike on Craigslist for 12K, so I may go there. I don't care for the pipes on the C/L bike, but that's an easy swap. Other than that, the bike is identical to the new one.

that's pretty standard nowadays, no matter what shop you visit.

I was going to buy a Husky back in December, they wouldn't negotiate at all, they wanted full retail plus everything you mentioned. Went to KTM instead, they wanted a sale, basically the same bike. I would have paid 200 dollars more for the Husky, but not 1200.

I called them before before picking the ktm, they then came down to possibly 900 dollars difference on a maybe.

fk em , ktm was in the bag and easy to deal with.

Last edited:
It may be standard for dealerships to tack on all sorts of absurd fees. I don't care, I will not pay them. They can make a massive profit off of the "other guy". I know what the invoice price is, what the holdback is and what the dealer profit is. I always offer a fair number. They can decide if the business is worth it or not.

I've never had to go all that far to find a dealer that is willing to work with me.

Also, Costco has a plan for motorcycles as well as cars. I believe they eliminate dealer fees with that plan. I've had good luck purchasing cars on the Costco plan.

My local Honda motorcycle dealership had a nice conventional generator listed at $999. So I went to purchase it. They tacked on $150 shipping to the final price, plus some number for "prep", NOPE, not gonna happen. I walked next door to the lawnmower shop and they had the exact same one for $899 plus tax.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
In 2009, I stopped at a Suzuki dealership and saw 2007 Bandit models in stock. I asked what kind of discounts were available, and the salesman told me that Suzuki had a ~$500 rebate. That's it. They wouldn't budge from MSRP. So, I went on my merry way.

Are you sure it wasn't a Ducati shop?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Are you sure it wasn't a Ducati shop?

I have had this exact same experience at a Kawasaki/Victory dealer when looking at a Ninja 500 and when trying to get a Triumph Speedmaster when they updated it mid year, was told by another that "we don't have one, won't order one for you, so just try back in a month". Went an hour further down the road to another dealer, got 500 off plus they waived all extra fees, and ordered me one that was there in 5 days.

It is like some dealers do not even want to be in business.

Last edited:
The thing that gets me is that I bought my 2007 there at the same dealer and there weren't any fees. Same salesman and everything. Also, a couple days later and no calls either. I guess their business is doing fine without me. I refuse to pay extra fees to pad their profits. I may just buy used from a private owner or small dealer for now on. It actually felt insulting.

You should get a Fat Bob anyhow instead of a Wide Glide. Black Denim paint w/ the red tank stripe. And black pipes. Oh yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back