TV picture size issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Samsung 46 inch TV and I have an issue with getting the picture size correctly. The pictures appears to be wider than the frame. This causes a loss of some letters in certain text. I have the remote (p.size) set for the recommended format of 16:9. I don't used the zoom option. The manual has not helped. Any suggestions? Thank you.. Ed Hayes

Cable box aspect ratio option? Some lower cable channels have been cropped improperly by MY cable co. I still have 16:12 and like it that way
smile.gif

try turning on the tv but leave the cable box off

then push the menu button on the cable box remote

should pull up the settings menu where you can switch resolutions 16:9, 4:3, and 1080i vs 720p settings etc

Google instructions for the model number and get into the settings menu. You will be able to adjust the fit of the image to the screen and eliminate the overlap.

My HD TVs hooked to HD boxes have no problems with picture size. But my HD TV hooked to a SD box has some difficulty on some channels. What is your source? If it's a SD source, you might have to adjust channel by channel.

Assuming all the aspect ratios are correct, sometimes a small picture overlap is caused by the TV setting. There is usually a setting in advanced menu called overscan. That controls how much of the picture is past the edges of the screen. It should be set to just barely exceed the edges so that you do not get a black/grey line at picture edge.

Last edited:
Most "TV's" have a couple percent of "overscan" cutting off a little bit of each edge.
You can get usually get around this by using the PC input or however it is labeled.

while a monitor will show 100% of pixels

I have tried all the recommendations expect using a PC input. I feel it is not that big an issue to pursue it further. Thanks for all the suggestions.. Ed Hayes

In the TV settings change the 16:9 to Screen Fit and see if that helps.

What model TV is it ?

Last edited:
Interesting observation: When I view a channel using standard definition the picture fits perfectly but, when I view the same picture on the HI Definition channel, the picture is over scanned. I have tried the "screen fit" option. The set is a SAMSUNG 650 series. ed

"screen fit" turns off the overscan and is dot to dot pixel mapping showing the whole image, in advance picture settings for picture size might be JustScan which does the same. Don't know why your TV is not working...

I would go into Menu and setup the settings and save them instead of using some quick set feature on the remote.

And yes it's worth the the time trying another input (like PC), or renaming a port PC.

and

You can go here and find anything you could ever want to know about your TV http://www.avsforum.com/forum/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back