*Don't Fall For Shaddy Oil Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stewie
Where are the amsoil and RP fanboyz???

35.gif

We are busy rebuilding our engines apparently.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

35.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

35.gif

And playing with our balls

Originally Posted By: zpinch
You guys are assuming Amsoil doesnt test their oils in engine test rigs?!

Can you point to one post in this thread that makes that assumption?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I swear these are the only threads we have anymore, along with the "My car calls for 0W-20 can I use 5W-20?" and "My car calls for XW-20, will it protect enough in summer?"

Oh and Walmart bashing. Sorry, forgot that one.

Sad but true. BITOG is a lot different than when I joined in 2002.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
What exactly is the purpose of this thread?

To take a shot at RP and Amsoil

"If people are determined to be offended -- if they will climb up the ladder, balancing it precariously on their own toilet cistern, to be offended by what they see through the neighbor's bathroom window -- there's nothing you can do about that."
- Christopher Hitchens

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
What exactly is the purpose of this thread?

This is a forum where all things oil can and should be openly discussed/debated/criticized. If you don't know what this post was about, you're pretty clueless.

It's been discussed many times before, but this article is very current and from a high quality blender.

You'd be surprised how many RP/Amsoil dealers still use this sales tactic.

Amsoil is still using in in their white papers. FWIW, Amsoil is a high quality blender/oil.

You guys are assuming Amsoil doesnt test their oils in engine test rigs?! They do, just like the other major oil blenders.

Before anyone goes any further, look at amsoil's latest performance test paper on a DOUBLE length IIIG engine test, results are fantastic. Again, tests are done by a third party tester.

I'm well aware of how good Amsoil is. The article is pointing out how a simple bench test really means NOTHING in the real world.

I had an Amsoil guy tell me how state of the art Amsoil's lab is and how they have more testing equipment than any other oil maker. I laughed. First of all, Amsoil FINALLY just got their own engine test bays about 2-3 years ago. Little late to the game. They have always relied on SWRI for their own testing. Nothing wrong with that, it's just comical to hear their sales force make up such nonsense. Same with RP.

Originally Posted By: buster
You guys are assuming Amsoil doesnt test their oils in engine test rigs?! They do, just like the other major oil blenders.

Before anyone goes any further, look at amsoil's latest performance test paper on a DOUBLE length IIIG engine test, results are fantastic. Again, tests are done by a third party tester.

I'm well aware of how good Amsoil is. The article is pointing out how a simple bench test really means NOTHING in the real world.

I had an Amsoil guy tell me how state of the art Amsoil's lab is and how they have more testing equipment than any other oil maker. I laughed. First of all, Amsoil FINALLY just got their own engine test bays about 2-3 years ago. Little late to the game. They have always relied on SWRI for their own testing. Nothing wrong with that, it's just comical to hear their sales force make up such nonsense. Same with RP.
Amsoil seems to cater to the uninformed buyers where Schaeffers and L.E. for example cater to the commercial markets. Amsoil blends a fine product. Even though tho only engine failure I ever had was with Amsoil. It was a left out part by the manufacturer though not Amsoils fault.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You guys are assuming Amsoil doesnt test their oils in engine test rigs?!

If they do, then why don't they have any engine mfg approvals on 99% of their oils?

Does it matter? That just adds cost.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Ahhh-the "one arm bandit" again-if that was the sole test for engine oil, we'd all be running 140 weight gear oil in engines!

Or pert plus.

Only an engine can give a true assessment of an oils performance. Simulations,nonsense 4 ball testing or the one armed bandit absurdity serves only those who are obviously oblivious to how an engine actually works so to compare these metrics to actual engine operation is less than sensible.
Real certifications carry far more weight than meets or exceeds. I'm not saying products that rely on these stupid tests for clout wouldn't pass the certification metric however it tells me a lot that the marketing department uses them instead of actual certs for their products.
And I like Amsoil,royal purple and redline as their products are very good however I can get products with real certs for less money so my money is better spent on those products that bear actual certifications.
And this is getting so old already and beaten to death. If you like the non verified products use them. It's your money/vehicle/responsibility and no one else's business.
And if your experiences are like mine were,all positive,then great. But don't try to push the nonsense that these uncertified products are that way as a benefit to keep costs down for the consumer. That idea is absurd.
Especially when a certified product can be found for less money.

Originally Posted By: buster

I too laugh when an Amsoil "dealer" starts shovelling. Not all dealers are idiots,for example our sponsor Pablo is fantastic but sadly that isn't the norm when I comes to Amsoil.
I feel Amsoil does themselves a disservice by allowing people they don't know to represent their product and the Amsoil name suffers even though the product is very good.
Today's higher tech engines aren't getting lower tech or less complicated and I believe there will be a point when all engines will have very stringent certification process and without these certs an oil just isn't up to snuff.
Basically we are already there so these smaller blenders are going to have to play by the same rules or suffer sales losses.
Amsoil guys buy Amsoil regardless of price so if the products price increased because of the cost of acquiring real certs then those people are still going to buy Amsoil however real certs means non fanboys may give the stuff a shot which opens doors for Amsoil,not closes them.
Ultimately these blenders have to choose whether actual certification and the doors those certs open are worth the investment.
No one questions Amsoil quality,they question the cost that quality comes at since there is no certification.

This thread should never have become a referendum on Royal Purple or Amsoil. Both companies make fine products.

This was about the validity of certain tests and sales tactics, period.

Again, the vast majority of posts in this thread miss the point by a country mile.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Does it matter? That just adds cost.

The cost of that cert is quickly amortized to insignificance unless there's a royalty involved.

Yes, this.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: kschachn
I swear these are the only threads we have anymore, along with the "My car calls for 0W-20 can I use 5W-20?" and "My car calls for XW-20, will it protect enough in summer?"

Oh and Walmart bashing. Sorry, forgot that one.

Whimsey

++1

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Whimsey

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back